• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jimney

Reaction score
Hi Mike - I've got a question about your Spiewak coat. I was at a surplus store today and tried on a "Golden Fleece" coat from Spiewak that fit me well in size 38, which is the same size I wear in my Filson Mackinaw Cruiser. However, according to the sizing information on the product page, I would be a 36 since I wear an Epaulet shirt medium. Should I go with your sizing instructions - since the sizing will be different than their typical coats? Will that leave room for a thick sweater or other layering? I'd appreciate any guidance you could provide.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Interested in ordering the Mulberry. Is it made by Vanson or aero?

Ah neither of them - the Mulberry is a much lighter weight and softer piece. I'm not familiar with Aero's entire line, but I never saw anything like that from Vanson.

Hey, I have a trouser question. I played rugby and do crossfit, so when I tried a couple pairs of Rivets they proved way too tight in the seat and slightly too tight in the thighs.
Would the Walt's fit me, or should I just wait it out for the next shipment of Rudy's?
Thanks for any help.

If it helps Unis Gios fit just about right, but maybe a little tight in the seat.

If you found the Rivet Chinos to be too slim, then I'd recommend trying a Rudy. You can always order one pair when we do the next preorder round (should be next week) to see if you like the fit. I'd be confident that it will either fit well straight off the rack or with a tiny bit of tailoring.

Also Mike, love the Ska reference, I always wondered who the fan was in your Manhattan store. Mighty Mighty Bosstones might be some of my favorite music

Haha, that's definitely me. Played in a ska band for years back in college. You can actually buy our album on Amazon for LITERALLY three cents:
http://www.amazon.com/Please-Flushes-Dont-Hurt-Em/dp/B00000DUTB/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_1

Wow, that's kind of depressing. Not that much underpriced though. I was an enthusiastic singer, but not much of a good one.

But yes, we play a lot of ska at the Manhattan shop, as long as I'm working that day. I love the Bosstones too!

Hi Mike - I've got a question about your Spiewak coat.  I was at a surplus store today and tried on a "Golden Fleece" coat from Spiewak that fit me well in size 38, which is the same size I wear in my Filson Mackinaw Cruiser.  However, according to the sizing information on the product page, I would be a 36 since I wear an Epaulet shirt medium.  Should I go with your sizing instructions - since the sizing will be different than their typical coats?  Will that leave room for a thick sweater or other layering?  I'd appreciate any guidance you could provide.

Hmm, good question. Spiewak's sizing on their imported stuff isn't totally consistent with this jacket, but I would imagine that the Filson jacket would be equally generous in fit. It depends a bit on how you're built and how you prefer the jacket to fit. I'd say that it works for most guys, but some will want more or less room.

Given you info, I'd probably suggest the 38. If you like the fit on that Filson coat, then I think that this will be similar. And we've certainly had guys who wear Epaulet Mediums pick up the size 38 with the intention of layering a very heavy sweater, or just preferring the slightly bigger fit. NewYorkRanger bought that size, and he fits into an Epaulet Medium shirt perfectly.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been low on funds lately and haven't been able to make a purchase in a while, and I just checked the site and realized my size in the sand Bedford cords is sold out. Are these going to be restocked at any point or did I miss my chance?

ElDave

Reaction score
Mike, any updated timeline on the most recent round of FF? I'm not even sure what the timeline was pre-Sandy, to be honest.

stingray1381

Reaction score
I just ordered the Veneto. I really went back and forth on it because it is kind of a fashion forward piece, but I figured I'd take the plunge. Will post fit pics when I receive it .

neutrino

Reaction score
Just received a package. Two things:
1) Got an olive brushed chino instead of taupe
2) I like it so much I'm keeping it
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Also, the bright buffalo check has funny little white bits sticking out all over it, is it expected? The shirt is awesome too.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an olive brushed heavyweight chino. Probably my favorite chino of all time.

Thinking of getting the taupe. Is the color difference enough?

Also, I think the same fit pic is used for the Taupe and the Belford cord sand...........

stingray1381

Reaction score

Just received a package. Two things:
1) Got an olive brushed chino instead of taupe
2) I like it so much I'm keeping it 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Also, the bright buffalo check has funny little white bits sticking out all over it, is it expected? The shirt is awesome too.

Regarding the check, yes, that is normal. It's just a slubby fabric.

neutrino

Reaction score
Well, from the pics they seem rather different. I'm not sure I'll order the taupe now though
smile.gif

And forgot to mention airforce flannel: it's SICK.

Also, Dbear, a couple of days earlier and your Eisenhower would be mine - the money went to Mike and Co. instead
satisfied.gif
I'm yet to receive that piece, looking forward to it.

neutrino

Reaction score
WRT wool trousers (and airforce is wool, amirite) - is it feasible to tailor them right away? Since they're not machine-washable, and would probably not shrink anyway. Sorry for the noob question, I tend to shy away from wool
satisfied.gif

jpc9

Reaction score

WRT wool trousers (and airforce is wool, amirite) - is it feasible to tailor them right away? Since they're not machine-washable, and would probably not shrink anyway. Sorry for the noob question, I tend to shy away from wool :satisfied:

Yes, AF flannel is wool.

Go ahead and tailor them right away as they'll never see the washer. Brush and dry lean sparingly as necessary only.

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold out of 8.5 UK in the jumper boot already! I was planning on coming into the store to try them on but the hurricane prevented that. Are you going to do a restock?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads