• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments FW 14

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can anybody help with trying to size an andover pls? medium bedford fits me well, should i get the same in andover? (looking at the olive flannel from this season specifically..)
thanks!

andover is slightly longer but also has slimmer body and sleeves, it has more of a silhouette rather than A shape

Last edited:

SirMeowly

Reaction score
@eluther When you stopped in at Jack Straw the other day, did you happen to notice if they had a S left in the brown antique herringbone andover? (I think I remember that John bought that piece this season...) What about sizes of cinch pants? I'm probably going to pick up 1 more jacket this season and it's either the brown herringbone andover or plaid twill wool B2B jacket.

@robinsongreen68 the small dark olive wool andover fits perfectly for me. It is a tad bigger than all the other andovers I have (all from SS not FW). As a comparison, this season I took a M in bedford because of the length and shoulders -- the M fits a tad big in the body, but better than the way-too-small of size S bedford. (EDIT: I'm 5'11 + 3/4 of an inch and 145 lbs if that helps at all)

Last edited:

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the M-41 the best overall simple fall EG jacket?

NNY has the navy serge which I like as the collar is the same color (not big on the contrasting collar).

From what I've seen it's a pretty roomy piece (from the pics of the models on Gentry and such) which, I guess, is what I'm looking for.

Just kind of a go-to for everyday wear in the cooler months.

Thanks.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coverall is probably the most simple "released every season" piece imo. That being said, I really like the m41 and the more I look at it the more enticing it is to me.

eskamobob1

Reaction score
I might be naive being from the SW, but I used to do construction in 30 degree weather – there is no way that would keep you warm if you're doing anything besides walking from a building to your car. It's not a winter-weight jacket – it's a poly fleece.
I have never owned a poly fleece (or any fleece for that matter). I have always just relied on wool for warmth so I wasnt sure. honestly I think ima have to pass if it wont be rather warm article. It looks like layering it would be a bit past my skills tbh.

Ty for the information.

eluther

Reaction score
@SirMeowly I think it was only L/XL for the brown Andover – they were complaining about the fact that they were so low on stock for most of EG and they weren't getting any more in. They had a full size run of the cinches in that fabric, though. John's a S (though he says he buys M often), so I wouldn't be surprised if he picked it up for himself. He said he missed out on the 14W cord and the antique herringbone is gorgeous.

@AlexanderTG I don't know the name of the jacket that I have, but it's essentially the equivalent of the M41 from 2011? 2012? in olive twill. Anyway, I wear it continually with jeans. The only thing about the M41 is that it's cotton-lined so you would still need some kind of over or underlayer if it gets cold where you are.

@eskamobob1 Most cheap sweatshirts from the last 20 years are made out of poly fleece – you're probably familiar with it. Anyway – yeah – not that warm. However, your call for layering it (fair isle + bird print + jeans) sounds good!

m4gdelen4

Reaction score
All of the 6 options on Bureau Belfast are 100% wool. Guess they probably all feel the same. None say "brushed" or anything like that.

I was just wondering if any are like a thicker version of my brushed navy herringbone scarf. The texture is really nice.

eluther

Reaction score
@Cotton Dockers – @m4gdelen4 is talking about the actual shawls, not the shawl knit jackets. To answer the question, the worsted flannel is pretty soft. I haven't felt the brown/navy wool twill, but not being flanneled and being twill leads me to believe it's probably a little "harder."

m4gdelen4

Reaction score
@eluther thanks for the input. The photos on TBB do seem to confirm the "hardness." I'll probably try the brown homespun...

mbaum

Reaction score
@eluther When you stopped in at Jack Straw the other day, did you happen to notice if they had a S left in the brown antique herringbone andover? (I think I remember that John bought that piece this season...) What about sizes of cinch pants? I'm probably going to pick up 1 more jacket this season and it's either the brown herringbone andover or plaid twill wool B2B jacket.

@robinsongreen68 the small dark olive wool andover fits perfectly for me. It is a tad bigger than all the other andovers I have (all from SS not FW). As a comparison, this season I took a M in bedford because of the length and shoulders -- the M fits a tad big in the body, but better than the way-too-small of size S bedford. (EDIT: I'm 5'11 + 3/4 of an inch and 145 lbs if that helps at all)
As of last week, American Rag had a full size run (S->XL, 30 -> 36) of the brown antique herringbone cinch and andover. Threats and Needles also had the andover (But that was two weeks ago and only one in each size S->L).

Mike

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You guys know what fabric is softest for the shawl? Or are they all about the same (being 100% wool)?

they are all a blend i believe (orange brown that i owned certainly was). not particularly soft

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads