• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, can I ask which size fits better?
For UK7, it fits really snug (or I can say it's really tight on my right foot, almost toes are touching the top) But for UK7.5, I'm having a heel slips when I walk. For EG shoes, I'm not sure whether it's okay to have heel slips(UK7.5) or it's okay to feel very snug (UK7). Based on your experience, could you share with me some advice which size will be better?

Please see the photos if it helps.
UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5

IMG_9560.jpeg

For your information, my bannock size is US8D or UK7E with high instep. I wear as following:
Alden: US8D plaza last, US7.5D barrie last
C&J: UK7E 348 (Best fit) UK7E 341 last, UK6.5E 325 last
Carmina: UK7E for Rain last, UK7.5E Simpson last

Hey, that's how it goes with EG shoes. IME as well. You end up with shoes too tight or too loose in the heel. Nothing helps. I have wasted hundreds of EUR trying different sizes and widths. What I ended up wearing is my regular size that I wear both in John Lobb and Crockett Jones.

So, I am now wearing the UK 9 E in EG, JL and CJ. They fit more snug compared to other brands and not so comfortable, but they look cool. Some of us cannot have both the look and comfort with EG.

Also, I have noticed you have a huge lace gap there. Mine feel tight, but yours look like you hardly closed them.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Hey, that's how it goes with EG shoes. IME as well. You end up with shoes too tight or too loose in the heel. Nothing helps. I have wasted hundreds of EUR trying different sizes and widths. What I ended up wearing is my regular size that I wear both in John Lobb and Crockett Jones.

So, I am now wearing the UK 9 E in EG, JL and CJ. They fit more snug compared to other brands and not so comfortable, but they look cool. Some of us cannot have both the look and comfort with EG.

Also, I have noticed you have a huge lace gap there. Mine feel tight, but yours look like you hardly closed them.

I don't think we can blame EG for that because they fit perfectly for many men. It's just a matter of finding a last that fits one's feet well. It is my experience that the lasts of some Italian makers (Enzo Bonafe, Stefano Bemer) fit best for my high instep.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think we can blame EG for that because they fit perfectly for many men. It's just a matter of finding a last that fits one's feet well. It is my experience that the lasts of some Italian makers (Enzo Bonafe, Stefano Bemer) fit best for my high instep.

Yes, nothing to blame the EG for. Must be something with our feet. Even though, I have tried many of their lasts, and had the same issue for some reason. I am just bugged how I otherwise got a perfect fit in John Lobb, Crockett Jones and Church's shoes - all in UK9.

Nevertheless, they look cool with that burnishing effect, and even though my feet are screaming every time I want to wear them, It's sometimes better to look good than to feel good.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, nothing to blame the EG for. Must be something with our feet. Even though, I have tried many of their lasts, and had the same issue for some reason. I am just bugged how I otherwise got a perfect fit in John Lobb, Crockett Jones and Church's shoes - all in UK9.

Nevertheless, they look cool with that burnishing effect, and even though my feet are screaming every time I want to wear them, It's sometimes better to look good than to feel good.
Don't own any Church's, but I take 9E in JL and C&J and 9.5E in EG. All fit well and I do have a slightly higher instep.

jamesnyc

Reaction score

Thank you. Which size is your EG in 82 last or other last? UK9?

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Don't own any Church's, but I take 9E in JL and C&J and 9.5E in EG. All fit well and I do have a slightly higher instep.
If you have Chelsea, can you share with me the photo? I just want to see how much v gap opens when you wear them.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have Chelsea, can you share with me the photo? I just want to see how much v gap opens when you wear them.
Don't own Chelsea, but have Cadogan(202) and Asquith(888) which are both Oxfords. If you still want pics I can try and get you something later today.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, can I ask which size fits better?
For UK7, it fits really snug (or I can say it's really tight on my right foot, almost toes are touching the top) But for UK7.5, I'm having a heel slips when I walk. For EG shoes, I'm not sure whether it's okay to have heel slips(UK7.5) or it's okay to feel very snug (UK7). Based on your experience, could you share with me some advice which size will be better?

For your information, my bannock size is US8D or UK7E with high instep. I wear as following:
Alden: US8D plaza last, US7.5D barrie last
C&J: UK7E 348 (Best fit) UK7E 341 last, UK6.5E 325 last
Carmina: UK7E for Rain last, UK7.5E Simpson last

Please see the photos if it helps.
UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5
IMG_9560.jpeg
Hm, 7.5E, because the sole is stiff when new and while bend better after you actually wear it outside the shop. Never buy shoes that is too tight from the get go, they will never loosen up enough, cause you don’t want to wear them.

reddargon

Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the trigger on some Dovers in 606 last online, but having never tried them on I'm curious about sizing. Free returns, so there's no real risk if I get the wrong size, but I want to improve my odds. I wear 7.5E C&J 337, 363 and 325 lasts, with 325 last on the Coniston a particularly good fit, while the othe I understand that EG tends to run smaller, so I'm thinking I'm either an 8E or 8.5E

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads