• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Iadbound

Reaction score
I never really got a straight answer from Leffot. This was at the now defunct Chicago location. I kept getting excuses like quality control as well as the pilfering of experienced craftsmen by a new, rival shoemaker.

I finally emailed EG directly and expressed my frustration. That seemed to get the ball rolling.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Gents, can I ask which size fits better?
For UK7, it fits really snug (or I can say it's really tight on my right foot, almost toes are touching the top) But for UK7.5, I'm having a heel slips when I walk. For EG shoes, I'm not sure whether it's okay to have heel slips(UK7.5) or it's okay to feel very snug (UK7). Based on your experience, could you share with me some advice which size will be better?

For your information, my bannock size is US8D or UK7E with high instep. I wear as following:
Alden: US8D plaza last, US7.5D barrie last
C&J: UK7E 348 (Best fit) UK7E 341 last, UK6.5E 325 last
Carmina: UK7E for Rain last, UK7.5E Simpson last

Please see the photos if it helps.
UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5
IMG_9560.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

TokenMao

Reaction score
For UK7, it fits really snug (or I can say it's really tight on my right foot, almost toes are touching the top) But for UK7.5, I'm having a heel slips when I walk. For EG shoes, I'm not sure whether it's okay to have heel slips(UK7.5) or it's okay to feel very snug (UK7). Based on your experience, could you share with me some advice which size will be better?

UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5

IMG_9560.jpeg

For your information, my bannock size is US8D or UK7E with high instep. I wear as following:
Based off of what you've said, I'd say go for the 7.5. If your toes are squished at the front in the 7 then it's too short. Where does the ball of your foot align with the shoe? It should be at the widest part. Also with your high instep you're getting a very wide v-gap on the facings.

A bit of heel slip is okay, as the sole breaks in it should go away. What type of sole is it?

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Personally i think the 7.5UK fits and looks better. Heel slip can go away with time as the sole starts to flex and give. As well, if the instep isn't too tight, a tongue pad could also help with the heel slip.

There appears to be too big of a gap at the V for the 7UK and your toes shouldn't be touching the front of the shoes either.

UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5

IMG_9560.jpeg

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Based off of what you've said, I'd say go for the 7.5. If your toes are squished at the front in the 7 then it's too short. Where does the ball of your foot align with the shoe? It should be at the widest part. Also with your high instep you're getting a very wide v-gap on the facings.

A bit of heel slip is okay, as the sole breaks in it should go away. What type of sole is it?
Personally i think the 7.5UK fits and looks better. Heel slip can go away with time as the sole starts to flex and give. As well, if the instep isn't too tight, a tongue pad could also help with the heel slip.

There appears to be too big of a gap at the V for the 7UK and your toes shouldn't be touching the front of the shoes either.
Thank you for you guys’ advice. But this Chelsea is on R1 sole. Do you think heel slips will go away with R1 sole?

TokenMao

Reaction score
Thank you for you guys’ advice. But this Chelsea is on R1 sole. Do you think heel slips will go away with R1 sole?
Slight heel slip should, but obviously can't guarantee anything with 100% certainty. Rubber soles tend to be a bit stiffer compared to single leather soles and require longer to break in. That being said R1 is fairly slim / flexible for a rubber sole and isn't too hard to break in. How much space do you have between the end of the shoe and your heel when you're standing? If you can easily fit a finger in there then it might be too long and in that case heel slip won't go away.

Meyboom

Reaction score
This looks to be the 82 last? Although it's a great looking last it is not very suited for someone with a high instep. With the 7.5UK it looks like there is quite some space between your heel and the shoe which makes me think that 7UK is the best fit length-wise. It does look tight though width-wise and on the instep which is due to the way that the 82 last is designed.

JohnFM

Reaction score
^ Meyboom, what is it about the 82 that isn't well suited for a high instep? Is the 606/202 better in this regard?

jamesnyc

Reaction score
This looks to be the 82 last? Although it's a great looking last it is not very suited for someone with a high instep. With the 7.5UK it looks like there is quite some space between your heel and the shoe which makes me think that 7UK is the best fit length-wise. It does look tight though width-wise and on the instep which is due to the way that the 82 last is designed.
It's 82 last indeed. Yes, what you said is exactly right. Yes, the reason why I'm hesitating is because UK7's width is too tight. I wonder, whoever has high instep, is it better to go UK7.5 in 82 last shoes then? (Since V gap is too big for UK7)

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Slight heel slip should, but obviously can't guarantee anything with 100% certainty. Rubber soles tend to be a bit stiffer compared to single leather soles and require longer to break in. That being said R1 is fairly slim / flexible for a rubber sole and isn't too hard to break in. How much space do you have between the end of the shoe and your heel when you're standing? If you can easily fit a finger in there then it might be too long and in that case heel slip won't go away.
I just tried what you suggested, and when I put my finger between end of shoes and my heel, the finger goes in until the mid-point from insole to the top (back height). In this case, do you think heel slips will go away?

Meyboom

Reaction score
^ Meyboom, what is it about the 82 that isn't well suited for a high instep? Is the 606/202 better in this regard?
Of course all feet are different but in my experience the 202 last is a bit better suited to a high instep. 606 is difficult to say since this last is mostly used for the Dover which is of course a derby. But even then I don't feel the 606 last is very accomodating to a high instep. For guys with a really high instep like myself and looking for a well-fitting oxford I would recommend Italian makers like Enzo Bonafe and Stefano Bemer...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.