• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Meyboom

Reaction score
It's 82 last indeed. Yes, what you said is exactly right. Yes, the reason why I'm hesitating is because UK7's width is too tight. I wonder, whoever has high instep, is it better to go UK7.5 in 82 last shoes then? (Since V gap is too big for UK7)
Not sure if that's any help but I think a 7UK in 202 last would work better for you (or the 82 last in F-width but it will still be tight in the instep area).

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, can I ask which size fits better?
For UK7, it fits really snug (or I can say it's really tight on my right foot, almost toes are touching the top) But for UK7.5, I'm having a heel slips when I walk. For EG shoes, I'm not sure whether it's okay to have heel slips(UK7.5) or it's okay to feel very snug (UK7). Based on your experience, could you share with me some advice which size will be better?

Please see the photos if it helps.
UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5

IMG_9560.jpeg

For your information, my bannock size is US8D or UK7E with high instep. I wear as following:
Alden: US8D plaza last, US7.5D barrie last
C&J: UK7E 348 (Best fit) UK7E 341 last, UK6.5E 325 last
Carmina: UK7E for Rain last, UK7.5E Simpson last
Hey, that's how it goes with EG shoes. IME as well. You end up with shoes too tight or too loose in the heel. Nothing helps. I have wasted hundreds of EUR trying different sizes and widths. What I ended up wearing is my regular size that I wear both in John Lobb and Crockett Jones.

So, I am now wearing the UK 9 E in EG, JL and CJ. They fit more snug compared to other brands and not so comfortable, but they look cool. Some of us cannot have both the look and comfort with EG.

Also, I have noticed you have a huge lace gap there. Mine feel tight, but yours look like you hardly closed them.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Hey, that's how it goes with EG shoes. IME as well. You end up with shoes too tight or too loose in the heel. Nothing helps. I have wasted hundreds of EUR trying different sizes and widths. What I ended up wearing is my regular size that I wear both in John Lobb and Crockett Jones.

So, I am now wearing the UK 9 E in EG, JL and CJ. They fit more snug compared to other brands and not so comfortable, but they look cool. Some of us cannot have both the look and comfort with EG.

Also, I have noticed you have a huge lace gap there. Mine feel tight, but yours look like you hardly closed them.
I don't think we can blame EG for that because they fit perfectly for many men. It's just a matter of finding a last that fits one's feet well. It is my experience that the lasts of some Italian makers (Enzo Bonafe, Stefano Bemer) fit best for my high instep.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think we can blame EG for that because they fit perfectly for many men. It's just a matter of finding a last that fits one's feet well. It is my experience that the lasts of some Italian makers (Enzo Bonafe, Stefano Bemer) fit best for my high instep.
Yes, nothing to blame the EG for. Must be something with our feet. Even though, I have tried many of their lasts, and had the same issue for some reason. I am just bugged how I otherwise got a perfect fit in John Lobb, Crockett Jones and Church's shoes - all in UK9.

Nevertheless, they look cool with that burnishing effect, and even though my feet are screaming every time I want to wear them, It's sometimes better to look good than to feel good.

jischwar

Reaction score
Yes, nothing to blame the EG for. Must be something with our feet. Even though, I have tried many of their lasts, and had the same issue for some reason. I am just bugged how I otherwise got a perfect fit in John Lobb, Crockett Jones and Church's shoes - all in UK9.

Nevertheless, they look cool with that burnishing effect, and even though my feet are screaming every time I want to wear them, It's sometimes better to look good than to feel good.
Don't own any Church's, but I take 9E in JL and C&J and 9.5E in EG. All fit well and I do have a slightly higher instep.

jamesnyc

Reaction score

Thank you. Which size is your EG in 82 last or other last? UK9?

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Don't own any Church's, but I take 9E in JL and C&J and 9.5E in EG. All fit well and I do have a slightly higher instep.
If you have Chelsea, can you share with me the photo? I just want to see how much v gap opens when you wear them.

jischwar

Reaction score
If you have Chelsea, can you share with me the photo? I just want to see how much v gap opens when you wear them.
Don't own Chelsea, but have Cadogan(202) and Asquith(888) which are both Oxfords. If you still want pics I can try and get you something later today.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, can I ask which size fits better?
For UK7, it fits really snug (or I can say it's really tight on my right foot, almost toes are touching the top) But for UK7.5, I'm having a heel slips when I walk. For EG shoes, I'm not sure whether it's okay to have heel slips(UK7.5) or it's okay to feel very snug (UK7). Based on your experience, could you share with me some advice which size will be better?

For your information, my bannock size is US8D or UK7E with high instep. I wear as following:
Alden: US8D plaza last, US7.5D barrie last
C&J: UK7E 348 (Best fit) UK7E 341 last, UK6.5E 325 last
Carmina: UK7E for Rain last, UK7.5E Simpson last

Please see the photos if it helps.
UK7
IMG_9561.jpeg

UK7.5
IMG_9560.jpeg
Hm, 7.5E, because the sole is stiff when new and while bend better after you actually wear it outside the shop. Never buy shoes that is too tight from the get go, they will never loosen up enough, cause you don’t want to wear them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.