• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you make pizza at home?

rk9

Reaction score
So I have been intrigued about making pizza at home for some time now. Today I ran across this article in the Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/di...r=1&ref=dining

I was thinking of picking up this pizza stone and a peel (since I am told I need one to properly place the pizza onto the hot stone).

Does anyone have experience making their own pizza at home? Any other tools I need? Do you like making your own pizza? Tips and/or tricks would be much appreciated!

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need the peel. I roll the dough out and build the pizza on parchment paper, then use that to transfer it to the pizza stone. The paper bakes just fine, and it makes it easy to move to pizza around.

Like so:

pizza-blanco+023.jpg

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all in the sauce, and to a lesser extent, the cheese. If you're buying ingredients at a supermarket, go with a marinara over the "pizza sauce" they typically sell.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am no good with making dough and crusts. I've never been able to do it, and I hate having flour everywhere. I do sometimes buy pre-made crusts from the local bakery which are quite good.

I know this is a personal failure as a home cook, but it's just one of those things I can't grasp. I can make a delicious pork chop, but can't make a pizza dough worth a damn.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I am no good with making dough and crusts. I've never been able to do it, and I hate having flour everywhere. I do sometimes buy pre-made crusts from the local bakery which are quite good.

I know this is a personal failure as a home cook, but it's just one of those things I can't grasp. I can make a delicious pork chop, but can't make a pizza dough worth a damn.

Some places like trader joes sell fresh pizza dough for ~$1. All you have to do is roll/toss it out and put your toppings on. Really easy.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
just sliced tomatoes under the cheese/toppings? never tried that
Not sliced. Chopped. Either that or halved cherry tomatoes. That is really good, and they are pretty good most of the year.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Some places like trader joes sell fresh pizza dough for ~$1. All you have to do is roll/toss it out and put your toppings on. Really easy.
pizza places will often sell you a wad of their dough too.
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not sliced. Chopped. Either that or halved cherry tomatoes. That is really good, and they are pretty good most of the year.
will try this after sunday farmer's market trip. thanks

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not well.
frown.gif

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same. I attribute the facts that I don't like baking and have zero desire to ever kneed dough as the causes behind my failure at making pizza.

Luckily there's a specialty Italian grocery nearby that has great dough.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The key to making a really good homemade dough is to prepare it via delayed fermentation, ie letting the dough rest at least 24 hrs in the refrigerator. The benefits of this are two-fold, better flavor and glutens are relaxed allowing you to roll the dough out easier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads