• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you make pizza at home?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
any of you dudes do it on a BBQ grill?

Totally. Now, it's the only way I make pizza. It's far superior to anything that comes out of the oven. And it's super easy. I guess not everyone has a grill though. If you do, you should try it. The dough comes out crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside, yet remains thin as well. For a sauce I make a pesto-like paste out of garlic, olive oil, grated parmesan, and black peper and spices to taste. Make it thick like a spread, enough to cover one side. A traditional tomato sauce will work too.

Heat the grill to super high, then throw the dough onto the grill. You can oil the grate, or the dough, either method works fine, and you don't need a lot. Make sure the dough was rolled out quite thin.

Let the dough cook on the grill until the under side is just browning and the top side has bubbled, usually less than a few minutes. Turn the heat down to low-medium, flip the dough, and use the just cooked side as the toppings side.

Spread out the garlic spread, and add your toppings, close the lid and let grill on lower heat until everything melts and cooks evenly. Make sure to rotate the dough a quarter turn every few minutes and check to make sure bottom crust is not burning. This makes for an awesome and very pleasing appetizer for summer dinner parties on the deck/patio. People are so amazed to see a pizza being grilled.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember as a kid when my dad would make pizza at home. I loved it, it was always such a thin crust and was sooo good. There was never enough.

You do NOT NEED a pizza stone to make good pizza at home. He used a baking pan, olive oil, his homemade gravy, homemade dough and fresh made mozz usually fresh from Lioni's or Papa Pasquale's. We'd get fresh basil from the backyard and just cut it up over the pie (ala Dominic at DiFara's).

My wife and I have tried, but there was just something about my dads pizza gravy that made it better, but ours isn't bad either. We wound up chucking our pizza stone, and do it like my dad did.

jfclarky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
your photog skills are not bad but those look gross.

It may have looked gross but it was delicious especially with the pepperonis that i put underneath the cheese.

Next time I will break out the halogen lights an a background for you.
smile.gif

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jfclarky
It may have looked gross but it was delicious especially with the pepperonis that i put underneath the cheese.

smile.gif

If it helps, I liked the pictures. A wooden cutting board would have gone a long way to making it all a bit softer, though.

I also make pita-pizzas when I don't have dough handy, btw.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jfclarky

smile.gif

Yes next time serve a corndog and a delicious slurpee next to your toast-r-oven cheezybread.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Mitchelli
If you are meticulous about how you clean your oven, you don't need a stone and can bake a pizza on the oven floor. Exactly the same results.
Not really. The stone is a thermal sink whereas your oven floor is not, or at least, to any material degree.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Totally. Now, it's the only way I make pizza.

+1. I was surprised by how fast the process is if you do it on a grill.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
any of you dudes do it on a BBQ grill?

Yup. usually grill on my Weber gas grill. Never did it on my kettle when I had that.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the higher temp of a grill, the grill method should be a better method of making pizza than in a home oven.

Originally Posted by pscolari
Yup. usually grill on my Weber gas grill. Never did it on my kettle when I had that.

A charcoal kettle shouldn't be any harder. You just need to make two-zone cooking area, where one zone of charcoal is stacked higher than the other zone. Indeed, with higher temp of charcoal, it'd probably make better pizza than something from a gas grill.

Milpool

Reaction score
How about homemade Chicago style pizza? Any thoughts on how to do that well? I've never actually attempted it.

jfclarky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Yes next time serve a corndog and a delicious slurpee next to your toast-r-oven cheezybread.

wow, you're a dick!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Made pizza at home today. My father, being the masterbaker (
lol8[1].gif
) that he is, made a wonderful dough for us. Then I made pesto for the sauce, topped it with spinach, mushroom, caramelized onions, and a little bit of goat's cheese. It was incredible.
drool.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you can't find a pizza stone you can use an unglazed tile from the hardware store. I forget the exact type to use but if you search the Alton Brown archives you'll find it. Works pretty damn well and its dirt cheap.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm gonna make this:
pizzahutshrimproll.jpg

Federico

Reaction score
Pizza is one of the simplest food to cook.
My mother makes it once a week, and once a week we go to a pizzeria with a bunch of friends.

You don't need anything special: only flour, salt, olive oil, some sugar, yeast, some tomato sauce, some real!!!! mozzarella and a oven. Oh well, and some toppings. But please not pineapple or pesto!

It is really hard to find a good pizza here! Can't wait to return home for Christmas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads