• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY Brief/Attache Case?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this case but refure to spend anywhere close to the asking price so I thought I'd make my own or at least commision someone to make one for me. Anyone ever done this? I've seen some threads where people have made their own gloves and such. How much of a stretch would this be?
357501865_o.jpg
357501899_o.jpg
357501821_o.jpg
The lock can be ordered here: Nickel version:
satinnickelbriefcasepositionlock_3_large.jpg
Now to find the leather/weight/construction method

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm raising my cow right now to do this as well. Will let you know when I slaughter that son of a ***** or maybe just skin it alive and let it walk around looking like a groteque inverted creature.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YOU can get almost anything made you want. You just need to have the right tools or someone that knows how to make what you want.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea...if you know how to do it yourself. Commissioning someone else to do what YOU WANT is never cheap.

JCHolmes

Reaction score
I know a company that does exactly this type of work.
What are you willing to pay for the case plus shipping?

Macallan9

Reaction score
Search the forum for SAB briefcases. Theres a video floating around that shows the whole process. It looked doable if you wanted to take the time.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After seeing that video, I'm not so sure it would be cheaper to get this made by someone else. The attache that the OP posted is an RLPL model. There is one on eBay right now for $1,000. Getting something to look as nice as that would take a lot of work, and a lot of high quality leather, and this will run you a lot more than $1,000 I'd imagine.

Still, if you want to give it a try with your own hands, it could be a great experiment.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
After seeing that video, I'm not so sure it would be cheaper to get this made by someone else. The attache that the OP posted is an RLPL model. There is one on eBay right now for $1,000. Getting something to look as nice as that would take a lot of work, and a lot of high quality leather, and this will run you a lot more than $1,000 I'd imagine. Still, if you want to give it a try with your own hands, it could be a great experiment.
I don't think it would run you more than $1K, but it'll cost a pretty penny for probably shoddy worksmanship. But: http://justleather.com/catalog/produ...48ba61c20e1bc6 leather $150 bucks

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
I don't think it would run you more than $1K, but it'll cost a pretty penny for probably shoddy worksmanship. But:

http://justleather.com/catalog/produ...48ba61c20e1bc6

leather $150 bucks

Thanks! This is just what I needed, a leather source. There's some hides on ebay cheap but nothing in the 7+ oz range that's good. I may still buy some and make my own gloves.

B, I'll do deerskin only when I become a master leather worker.

I think I might just do this.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
http://science.discovery.com/videos/...riefcases.html Please do document it. Actually, who knows...I might give it a try. I do have access to a machine shop.
According to this video I will need: Leather stitch marker Leather knife Bone marker Awl Waxed thread Leather needles Leather hole punch Rivets All of this will be about $100 in addition to: Leather hide Thinking about going with (6/7 oz):
cowboytan3.jpg
cowboytan2.jpg
for $75 or (5/6 oz)
rem2616.jpg
$36
bb2167.jpg
$49
bb2159.jpg
$44 Fabric for lining (maybe) Lock hardware ($30 each) So the total cost at this stage would be around $200 for supplies to make the first bag but I will have enough leather left to make like 3 or 4 bags if I get the 22sq ft piece of leather on top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads