• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

details

oldskool

Reaction score
ralph0eh.jpg
This spring, it looks like the 1960's are back with a nod to the late 60's early 70's. Note a wider peak lapel with a narrow tie and the working buttons on the sleeve. RLPL spring shirts are windsor style collar with narrow solid ties. Very smooth. http://www.polo.com/product....=family

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although it looks good on Ralph, I question the value of a $2,800 or so RTW suit that is capable of being dated and will be "out of style" in a few years. I thought that RLPL was supposed to be timeless.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to invite reasons for your kids to laugh at old pictures of yourself.
It's more of a problem if you have pictures of yourself wearing the "original" version of this suit circa 1971. Keep those pictures hidden-you don't want your 13 year old laughing at her Dad.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note a wider peak lapel with a narrow tie and the working buttons on the sleeve.

Wider lapels have been popular in streetwear style blazers for at least 2 seasons now (check out Wrangler 47's western style blazer, for example.) A nod to the Seventies (again). And nearly everyone has working sleeve buttons and single breasted peaed lapels, down to second tier designers like Kenneth Cole, for at least one season.

As for the peaked lapel design, I have a 4 or 5 year old Emporio Armani single breasted peaked lapel suit that shows that that man saw it coming, as usual, well before the madding crowd. Same with the resurgence of 2 buttons, which have been staple at Emporio Armani for at least 2 full years now. The man is getting old, and his collections have been hit-or-miss for a while now, but let's not forget that he is still the maestro.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wise to take a stand against the wide lapels, IMO. No need to invite reasons for your kids to laugh at old pictures of yourself.

Forget it. They will anyway as teenagers. Then they'll probably adapt those old styles in their 20's.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Narrow lapel w/narrow tie; wide lapel w/wide tie. Isn't that they way style has gone traditionally? I don't "get" RL's mixing of styles here. And I really dislike the miniature collar on his shirt.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Just not a good ensemble.I sometimes have to laugh at these so called fashion gods who come down from Valhalla every season and tell us mortals what is going to be "in".While I always had a healthy respect for Mr.Lauren,I think this time he's off the mark.Otherwise, I'll just dig out my vintage Armani suits and wear skinny ties with them.
tounge.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that bit on RL's Black Label in February's GQ. Those suits are way too skinny. It made the guy's head look huge.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Man, the guy's head is just huge. His wide hairdo didn't help, either.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Lauren's own head may be one reason why the RLPL suits have so much shoulder padding--they reflect his personal need to balance his own giant head. Â I can't think of any picture I've seen of him in a suit or sport coat that didn't have built up shoulders. Â Sometimes it is so overblown it reminds me of the shoulders on a Japanese kataginu:
120-a.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Wow - good old Mr. Lipschitz never seems to age. I thought this was a picture from the 80's. I hope I look as good when I'm his age. Bradford

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Narrow lapel w/narrow tie; wide lapel w/wide tie.  Isn't that they way style has gone traditionally?  I don't "get" RL's mixing of styles here.  And I really dislike the miniature collar on his  shirt.
I'm with you. This look seems unbalanced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads