1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Details

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Dec 15, 2004.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

cool. I usually have to buy people beer to get them to listen to my opinions.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

details was one of my fave mags in the early/mid 90s, having more of a Maxim/FHM vibe....towards the later 90s it took a turn for the worse with a change in editor and format. lately it's been completely unreadable.

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Well, I'm not getting rich doing it -- particularly because I have to buy my friends beer to get them to listen to my opinions, ha ha.

4. acole

acole Senior member

<raises hand> Always bugged me that we straight guys are supposed to validate our virility by preferring to live in a damp concrete basement lit by a bare bulb hanging from a rope. Our surroundings can be nicer than that, of course, but we're never supposed to care that they are, or take steps to ensure such circumstances beyond giving the little woman a blank check and free rein. I don't read Wallpaper, but I definitely take an interest in the design elements of my living space--probably more so than my wife. I've always found it funny how gender-segregated artistic fields have become in popular conception. Design a building, and you're an "architect", which is safely man's work. Concern yourself with decorating and arranging a room inside that building, and you're an "interior designer", the province of fussy girls and limp-wristed queens. Same goes for visual art and cuisine: a guy's guy is fine as a master painter, sculptor, or chef, but lesser incarnations of craft and cookery are pure Martha Stewart territory.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

but I'll tell you the problem is with that - in my perfect house, the furniture would be simple dark wood, a few good carpets, maybe some high tech lamps, some comfortable chairs and couches. There would be a small number of good prints on the walls, and some good exotic decorations - some russian icons, some indian idols, maybe a few good west african bronzes. that's it, and it would more or less stay that way until I die (actually, if I could trade my ikea bookcases and dinning room chair for some better made ones, that discribes the house I am living in now). I could design it in a weekend and on about what I spend on a vacation, and I never have to think about it again, or spend another dime on it.

I think that is pretty common of men's interest in interior design. you can't build an industry on it.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, although I pick up Wallpaper just because I like to stay current on such things, I really, really, don't care about my apartment.  It is a place to eat takeout, watch t.v., and sleep, is all.  Unlike, for example, my clothing, I stake none of my identity in it.  Given unlimited resources, my place would be like Globetrotter's, minus most of the decorations. And maybe I'd put in an in-home theater because my father always wanted one; and it'd be nice to have for his visits.  Maybe a fooseball and pool table too, while I'm at it.  For my brothers.  Otherwise, I personally couldn't care less.  

Food for thought, I'm sure lots of guys (none on this forum though) have the same attitude about their clothes.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Personally I have a significant interest in interior design, and I think most guys are somewhat interested, i.e. if they had a house and resources to do so, they'd have a vision of what they wanted, but after that, they're not particularly interested in changing it or revamping it...