• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4 Simple Items for the Everyday Modern Man...

MJC2020

Reaction score
Men's fashion is one of the most intimidating areas because the regular outlets for advice aren't written for the average guy on an average budget. If you look at GQ for their fall clothes essentials, for example, the perception is that you have all the money in the world and have a unique style that fits with the trendiest clothes. But there is a considerable gap between what you see in a magazine and think is cool versus what you would input your credit card info and reach for on a Friday night.

In this thread, I'll show you four essentials for men that aren't too risky but also can add a nice touch to a look that adds a level of sophistication.

1) White Sweaters for Layering

One of the best pieces you can add to your wardrobe is a simple white sweater. I recommend this piece because it can be a great base to build a look with, and the color white works with almost any pairing. The great news is that there is a ton of variety out there, from chunky knits to turtlenecks. In my opinion, a turtleneck sweater is more fitting to one's body and adds a bit of class. On the other hand, a chunky knit sweater is great for colder weather and pairs well with a casual look.

2) Sherpa-Lined Jackets
A jacket lined with sherpa is the perfect option for layering and can keep you warm in the colder months. These jackets also can look great over a simple tee or sweater. The sherpa lining offers some nice dimension and texture to any look. Additionally, the lining in the jacket will help keep you warm but won't be too bulky. These jackets can often be a statement piece on their own but aren't too far out of reach. While they can be an investment, higher quality is definitely worth the cost. And this jacket is a classic, so even years after purchase, it will still be in style.

3) Classic Boots (Chelsea Boots or Worker Boots)
Footwear is an option that should never be overlooked, but you don't need a wall of shoes. Two extremely versatile options are the Chelsea boot and a Workers boot.

The Chelsea-style Boot is functional and stylish. If you are going out with friends, it can be paired with jeans or joggers, or it can also be dressed up with a fitted pair of slacks. The Chelsea boot adds a dash of refinement and class to even a bar-hopping event and elevates one's look and style. The one downside of the Chelsea boot, if suede, is water, so avoid at all costs. Slip-on a pair and own the night.

The Worker boot is usually neglected because of its size, but that is no longer the case. These types of boots are incredibly functional and long-lasting if invested in the right pair. They give you the confidence to not shy away from a weekend trip to the mountains or a simple run to Trader Joe's. They can be paired with Jeans or Joggers. No matter the weather: rain, snow, or gray skies, the Worker boot has you covered to take on any adventure.

4) Joggers (the miracle pant)
Joggers can be your saving grace, hail marry, or your utter downfall. If you wake up late for work and just need to throw something on, Joggers looks more presentable than jeans and more casual than dress pants. They give the appearance of actual pants with the pocket detailing but function as dressy sweatpants. They are the best of both worlds. But you have to be careful where you buy them from and what color. They can't be overly baggy and too tight; they have to fit like that favorite pair of jeans you have. A great color to start with is beige due to the ease of matching with other colors.

Let me know if these tips have been helpful, and if you want me to post links to the items talked about above. Thanks for reading!

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men's fashion is one of the most intimidating areas because the regular outlets for advice aren't written for the average guy on an average budget. If you look at GQ for their fall clothes essentials, for example, the perception is that you have all the money in the world and have a unique style that fits with the trendiest clothes. But there is a considerable gap between what you see in a magazine and think is cool versus what you would input your credit card info and reach for on a Friday night.

In this thread, I'll show you four essentials for men that aren't too risky but also can add a nice touch to a look that adds a level of sophistication.

1) White Sweaters for Layering

One of the best pieces you can add to your wardrobe is a simple white sweater. I recommend this piece because it can be a great base to build a look with, and the color white works with almost any pairing. The great news is that there is a ton of variety out there, from chunky knits to turtlenecks. In my opinion, a turtleneck sweater is more fitting to one's body and adds a bit of class. On the other hand, a chunky knit sweater is great for colder weather and pairs well with a casual look.

2) Sherpa-Lined Jackets
A jacket lined with sherpa is the perfect option for layering and can keep you warm in the colder months. These jackets also can look great over a simple tee or sweater. The sherpa lining offers some nice dimension and texture to any look. Additionally, the lining in the jacket will help keep you warm but won't be too bulky. These jackets can often be a statement piece on their own but aren't too far out of reach. While they can be an investment, higher quality is definitely worth the cost. And this jacket is a classic, so even years after purchase, it will still be in style.

3) Classic Boots (Chelsea Boots or Worker Boots)
Footwear is an option that should never be overlooked, but you don't need a wall of shoes. Two extremely versatile options are the Chelsea boot and a Workers boot.

The Chelsea-style Boot is functional and stylish. If you are going out with friends, it can be paired with jeans or joggers, or it can also be dressed up with a fitted pair of slacks. The Chelsea boot adds a dash of refinement and class to even a bar-hopping event and elevates one's look and style. The one downside of the Chelsea boot, if suede, is water, so avoid at all costs. Slip-on a pair and own the night.

The Worker boot is usually neglected because of its size, but that is no longer the case. These types of boots are incredibly functional and long-lasting if invested in the right pair. They give you the confidence to not shy away from a weekend trip to the mountains or a simple run to Trader Joe's. They can be paired with Jeans or Joggers. No matter the weather: rain, snow, or gray skies, the Worker boot has you covered to take on any adventure.

4) Joggers (the miracle pant)
Joggers can be your saving grace, hail marry, or your utter downfall. If you wake up late for work and just need to throw something on, Joggers looks more presentable than jeans and more casual than dress pants. They give the appearance of actual pants with the pocket detailing but function as dressy sweatpants. They are the best of both worlds. But you have to be careful where you buy them from and what color. They can't be overly baggy and too tight; they have to fit like that favorite pair of jeans you have. A great color to start with is beige due to the ease of matching with other colors.

Let me know if these tips have been helpful, and if you want me to post links to the items talked about above. Thanks for reading!

Do you feel the average guy in Classic menswear here reads the GQ list of fashion? :eek:

MJC2020

Reaction score
Do you feel the average guy in Classic menswear here reads the GQ list of fashion? :eek:
Hi Proleet. I don't have an answer to your question because I don't know if they read it or not. But why I wrote the post above was to talk about items that are often overlooked but hold great value for a man's style. They aren't too risky but are also modern, and there are lots of affordable options available. If you would like, I can post links to these items so you can see for yourself?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joggers? Wow, did you ever misread your audience.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5) A Dickensian sleeping cap (follicular bliss)

What better way to ensure you ward away the calamities of sleep? Keep your hair perfectly entombed with a Victorian era cap. Purists will stick with cotton, but I think you can have some fun here. Look for a modal or a tencel to show off those golden locks. The pom pom should contrast with the cap to give you some added flare. Really brave modern men will have a glow in the dark pom pom to ensure they don't walk into the door when they use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
How funny.... ????

four reasonable ones....
1). A heavy tweed overcoat for layering
2). Unlined hopsack jacket (blazer)
3). Brown brogues
4). Mid-grey flannel and/or fresco trousers ('the magic pant')

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads