Details

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Dec 15, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Do any of you guys read this magazine on a monthly basis? I got a free subscription, and really don't understand why anyone would pay to read it. Yes you get some decent clothing layouts, etc... but the magazine just takes such a depressing view on everything.

I understand that it was originally geared towards the gay population but the articles about gay issues are just... i dunno, repulsive comes to mind. A couple months ago they had an article about a gay guy who was writing about how his best blowjobs all came from priests...?

As far as the clothing articles, it seems all of them are just bashing a given look as passe (sometimes controversial ones, such as distressed/worn jeans, and double breasted jackets...)

I haven't seen too many uplifting or even interesting articles at all, and interviewing Ben Affleck? hmm...

Any comments?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I used to read it, back maybe 5 years ago. frankly, I found that it didn't speak to me, and I wouldn't wear most of the stuff they had in their layouts. so I stopped buying it.

3. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

It all sounds most unsavoury. I am glad that this rather grubby sounding publication is not available here. Articles detailing those homosexual activities which should probably remain private is bad enough, but to advocate the wearing of denim (the Devil's cloth) is unforgiveable.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

VB,

I believe the article was actually calling for an end in the wearing of distressed denim, which you'd probably agree with given your post, but I do agree with the rest of your post.

5. @riss

@riss Senior member

you can buy the publication rather easily in the UK and Europe at any magazine store with an international section, ViroBono. its funny because i've had this conversation with friends before and i don't think that details is marketed for a gay audience at all, its subversively gay and aimed at a straight readership. ultimately, the articles just suck though. you never wear jeans??

6. @riss

@riss Senior member

oh sorry, perhaps you're being ironic here.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think details has tried to be a bit more mainstream (read, straight) in recent times but IMO it was marketed to gays in the past.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Didn't Details actually start out as a magazine geared to gays? I thought it was bought out by its present owners (it may have gone under at that point) and brought back as a more mainstream magazine -- though it's heritage subtly lives on.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I am not sure, I think that it swung back and forth about who it was marketed towards. like men's health, it had a lot of articles on women, but it also had ads that seemed aimed at gay men.

10. Eric

Eric Senior member

Is there a large enough gay demographic to make a profitable magazine anyway?

Also, I'd like to add that gay or not Mens Health is an excellent magazine. I wouldn't mind a few more pictures of women, but the info inside can't be beat.

Eric

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The fact that Details has an article every month about male genitalia (I'm not making this up, check it out) is pretty much a dead giveaway.

12. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Once in a while I will pick it up to glance at - but I usually put it back on the rack without purchasing it.

I do think the gay or preppy, french, etc. articles are pretty funny.

Bradford

P.S. I was disappointed that they didn't include me in the Most Powerful Men under 40 article last year. Not that I've done anything to deserve it, but wouldn't it be cool to pick up a magazine like that and find yourself listed.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I thought the article was fairly funny, but just don't like the dismal view of the editors for almost everything.

14. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

this is one of the silliest posts I've ever read here.

15. raley

raley Senior member

Are you a powerful man under 40? [​IMG]