• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Details

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is one of the silliest posts I've ever read here.

Agreed. And the author is writing in a style that is best (and most charitably) described as an homage to Monty Python's "Upper Class Twit" sketch.

Is Details gay? It seems to be bi-curious, if anything. Who cares. At least they got GQ to realize that the 30 something demographic was no longer interested in Fred Astaire (a closet case if there ever was one.) BTW, as a historical note: GQ was originally seen as a "gay" magazine, as was Esquire (though to a much lesser extent.) Chew on that, gentlemen.

The writing in Details is becoming increasingly dismal, though. That's for sure.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm confused. Details is gay? Does that mean it likes to have sexual intercourse with other magazines?
blush.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Details is gay? Does that mean it likes to have sexual intercourse with other magazines?

Yes.   But only other gay magazines.  Men's Health, Wallpaper, etc...

Straight magazines lik Guns 'n' Ammo, Monster Trucks Monthly, Soldier of Fortune, etc... are intimidated by the fact that Details might (or might not) be checking them out.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think details may be bisexual when you look at its history

it was first a mag similar to a cross between new york magazine and paper magazine, then became a men's magazine with interesting sex columns by anka radovich (sic) then became a lad's magazine with big breasted women a la maxim et al, then disappeared and came out of the closet with another publisher with a subtle gay/straight stance helmed by an editor who denies it's a gay magazine

i really don't have an answer if you can tell

ViroBono

Reaction score
(ViroBono @ 15 Dec. 2004, 12:20) It all sounds most unsavoury. I am glad that this rather grubby sounding publication is not available here. Articles detailing those homosexual activities which should probably remain private is bad enough, but to advocate the wearing of denim (the Devil's cloth) is unforgiveable.
this is one of the silliest posts I've ever read here.
It seems that some Americans still do not understand irony, even when it is pointed out.

ViroBono

Reaction score
And the author is writing in a style that is best (and most charitably) described as an homage to Monty Python's "Upper Class Twit" sketch.
The sketch to which you refer was mostly visual; the voiceover was a spoof of a National Hunt commentary. The 'Cabbage crates over the briny' sketch is probably closer to what I think you mean.

My favourite upper-class twit was created by the Baroness Orczy, and he was not always what he seemed to be...

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Is Details gay?  It seems to be bi-curious, if anything.  Who cares.  At least they got GQ to realize that the 30 something demographic was no longer interested in Fred Astaire (a closet case if there ever was one.)  BTW, as a historical note:  GQ was originally seen as a "gay" magazine, as was Esquire (though to a much lesser extent.)  Chew on that, gentlemen.
Exactly... Who cares? There's an argument that says all those magazines are pretentious as hell and don't deserve your scratch even if they've got articles on how NOT to be gay. If ya'll have never read Maxim because you think it's a kid's mag, pick one up. The writing is every bit as good as the upper tier magazines, the news columns are more interesting, the sex columns are more helpful, and there's more laughs on one page than in a whole issue of GQ, Details, etc.
(The above goes for Maxim only, actually. The writing in FHM, Stuff, etc. is notably worse).

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The writing is every bit as good as the upper tier magazines...
I have no doubt that you're a fine lad but this sentence completely destroyed your credibility on this subject.
biggrin.gif
It's that sort of thinking that got the editor of Maxim thinking it was a good idea for him to write and publish a book of poetry.

stache

Reaction score
drizz that's why your subscription was free :p. If Details is bi do you think it would hit on Cosmo?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I have no doubt that you're a fine lad but this sentence completely destroyed your credibility on this subject. Â
biggrin.gif
It's that sort of thinking that got the editor of Maxim thinking it was a good idea for him to write and publish a book of poetry.
I've read both many times. I'm currently in my fourth year of persuing an English minor w/emphasis on writing creative nonfiction (hopefully to supplement my technical major), and have a 3.5 GPA on my audit report for said minor. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. I never said either magazine was particularly good w/regard to writing. But Maxim is far less pretentious and far funnier than Details, which makes for better reading. If I want obscure references and holier-than-thou dogmatizations, I'll watch the Simpsons or go to church, respectively.
I've read both many times. I'm currently in my fourth year of persuing an English minor w/emphasis on writing creative nonfiction (hopefully to supplement my technical major), and have a 3.5 GPA on my audit report for said minor. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.
Now that's pretentious.

southerncollegeboy

Reaction score
Don't know if Details is gay or not, disagree about the quality of writing in Maxim, but Details does have an article every single month about how pathetic of a life middle aged businessmen have. In no particular order, I seem to recall middle-age male suicide, being promoted to a job you'll hate, middle-age men depressingly looking for jobs in the business world, and it goes on and on. I do generally like Detail's clothing sections more than GQ's and Esquire's.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read both many times. I'm currently in my fourth year of persuing an English minor w/emphasis on writing creative nonfiction (hopefully to supplement my technical major), and have a 3.5 GPA on my audit report for said minor. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.
Quite pretentious :) I'm a professional writer...let's congratulate each other now
smile.gif

@riss

Reaction score
other gay magazines.  Men's Health, Wallpaper, etc...
dude, you cannot put wallpaper in that category (especially if you're going to make arguments in defense of juicy couture for men.) because wallpaper is an androgynous mag. its focus is not clothing, it is design, which isn't usually gender specific.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I'm a professional writer
Of what? I'd love to pick something up if it's semi-widely available.
My current sweetheart prospect insists only a phD can muster enough courage in her to get something published, thereby spending many years many miles away from me. Any advice?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of what? I'd love to pick something up if it's semi-widely available.
My current sweetheart prospect insists only a phD can muster enough courage in her to get something published, thereby spending many years many miles away from me. Any advice?
You'll typically find my stuff in the Christian Science Monitor, National Post, Jerusalem Post, Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, Ottawa Citizen, Vancouver Province and a number of magazines.

I'm not quite sure what you asked there...if she can get published, why not do so?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads