1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

College Theft

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Have any of you ever had to deal with this? Today, I went to deposit a $100 bill my parents gave me and poof, the fucking thing is gone. Vanished. It was in the back of a drawer in my room, and I didn't tell anybody it was there. I've asked everyone who's been in my dorm since Tuesday (last time I saw it, I think) if they've seen it...obviously no one has.

I don't know who to suspect aside from my roommate. I don't think he'd steal that much money, but then again, I've known him for a few months. Character witnesses don't see him doing it.

Life sucks right now.

P.S. I don't want a fucking lecture about how I should have put it in a safer place.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sorry man, that sucks. The lack of privacy/personal space in dorms is definitely one of the more annoying aspects of college life.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

sucks dood. makes you think what other belongings someone goes thru when you're not around. are there a lot of people going in/out of your room? obviously the roommate is suspect #1, but he's almost too obvious a suspect for him to be the culprit.

4. vc2000

vc2000 Senior member

Not a lecture but why didn't you just carry the bill with you?

When traveling in foreign countries I have had the provided room safe broken into. Sometimes it has been jacked open and other times somebody had the the code. I just find it safer sometimes to carry the money with me. At least I know what happened to the money. The only time I have had the in room safe broken into was New Orleans which they are required to provide you a safe and charge you for it.

Needless to say I tend to use a credit card rather then carry cash.

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I don't know, I certainly should have carried it with me.

This is really fucking with me. I'm supposed to studying for a math test tomorrow but now all I can think about is the fact that I'm out a hundred bucks.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]\t[​IMG]

6. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Since it's midterm time, perhaps you're just a little scatterbrained right now and you misplaced it? Or, it could have slid through a crack in your dresser, and it might be underneath/behind it?

It's too obvious for your roommate to steal it - unless he's a sociopath. I say try to set him up - leave a small sum of money, say $5 lying around in an obvious place, and see if it's gone by the next day. If he doesn't own up to it, get a new roommate.

7. DNW

DNW Senior member

Look around in your clothing and your drawers first, you never know how absent minded you can be during exams. If he did it, just find another roommate quietly and don't even try to recoup it.

BTW, it's a single bill man. Carry it with you.

Consider it an expensive lesson.

8. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I'm 100% positive it was stolen. I stashed it in the back of this particular drawer because I planned on depositing it in the bank this weekend...it wasn't part of my usual "pocket money". I would have no reason to move it.

*sigh*

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

Buy a small (~60-80 lbs) safe to store your money/watches/cufflinks/cam era/ipod/stash/paraphanelia/scale/baggies/incriminating photos/etc.etc.etc. While not completely secure, it will discourage theft, because nobody wants to lug something that heavy out of a dorm room. A lot of kids get the little 10-15 pound ones with the handle and all, but those are easily carried off. It won't solve this problem, but it may prevent it from happening again. Something like this would work, and you would be able to use it for a while.

10. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Learn some basic tradecraft. Losing $100 sucks, but in all honesty, you're blowing this out of proportion. If losing $100 meant you don't eat for the next month, this might be a bigger deal. If your roommate's a decent guy, it shouldn't be hard to ask him to keep a closer watch on your room. If not, you should be looking for a new roommate.

11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Learn some basic tradecraft. Losing $100 sucks, but in all honesty, you're blowing this out of proportion. If losing $100 meant you don't eat for the next month, this might be a bigger deal. If your roommate's a decent guy, it shouldn't be hard to ask him to keep a closer watch on your room. If not, you should be looking for a new roommate.

Initially, yeah, I did overreact. It's mom & dad's money, and they'll likely replace it, but things like this just irritate me.

12. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I understand the irritation. Just saying it's worth keeping in perspective.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

And I thought you were talking about tuition.

Perhaps, you should be like the proverbial old woman with the money under the mattress or some other place similarly intrusive. Most people don't take that hazard of moving a mattress to steal.

14. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

i remember $100 in college is like hitting 6 million in the lotto now...sucks man

15. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

I tend to keep my money in smaller bills, and if I get larger ones I deposit them or break them into 20's. Better to be out $20 than $100 if you misplace it, and it seems that smaller bills so long as they aren't in "wad" form aren't quite as enticing as a smooth Benjamin.

The other members advice of getting a small but heavy safe is advice I totally agree with. Any time you reside in somewhere semi-public it's always best to keep important materials locked up.

16. King Salmon

King Salmon Senior member

$100 is nothing. I can buy and sell you with what's in my wallet (salmon skin, of course) right now.

17. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I'm out of college now, but I can provide some moral support since I had something like this happen to me at work the other night. I was closing the bar I work at and counting up tips to divide between myself and the other bartenders. Everyone, including my boss, who locked himself in the back office to finish paperwork, was in a rush to get out early that night, and, as a result, the doors had mistakenly been left unlocked, and I was the only employee still doing closing duties in the front of the bar.

Long story short, some random weirdo walked in carrying on as if there were some emergency outside that needed my urgent attention. Exhausted and not thinking straight, I got fooled by his diversion and thought he might be serious, the ultimate result being that I turned my back to the pile of money that I had been sorting out, and the guy was able to pocket a large amount of cash without my noticing. After the guy left, I went back to finish handling the money and found out that he walked out with over $600. I couldn't just act like the money never existed either, since doing so would have meant my co-workers wouldn't get paid for their work. So not only did I make nothing for my labor that night, I had to make up the stolen money out of pocket (my boss was sympathetic enough to offer to split it with me, but that still means I'm out $300). On top of the financial loss, there's still the frustration and humiliation of realizing I'd been fooled, and the general fear that my competence and honesty (I was alone and had no witnesses to back me up, and the bar industry is notoriously plagued with employee dishonesty and theft) will now be questioned at work or that something similarly bad will happen the next time I close the bar.

But I think the point is that our situations teach a common set of lessons:

1. Losing money sucks, but it's not the end of the world. $100, let alone $300, is still a lot to me, but the reality is that a lot of unplanned and uncontrollable problems will consistently come up and impose costs upon you (e.g. getting a ticket, damaging your car, losing your wallet, etc). You have to realize that these things happen and be grateful that it's on a small enough scale that you can recover without too much difficulty. In my case, I've realized that things could have been much worse had I caught the guy in the act and he turned out to be armed or ready to use violence.

2. As much as you don't want to hear it, security precautions are important. My boss has been kicking himself for forgetting to lock the door right after closing; if the door were locked, the theft wouldn't have happened. The lesson in your situation is not to take security for granted and to hide your valuables.

3. This is one of the more depressing points to take in, but it's important to recognize that people do shitty things and be wary. Obviously, this doesn't mean you should immediately assume your roommate guilty and accuse him (well, unless you try Bandwagon's setup and it works as expected), but this ties in to point 2 in that you should assume that at least some of the people in your surroundings are capable of this behavior and take precautions to prevent theft, considering that you're in a communal setting with limited private space.

4. Letting a bad experience like this control you will make things worse before they make them better. I'm probably going to go apologize to most of my co-workers at work tomorrow, since I was so eaten up by the whole ordeal that I basically crawled up into a shell at work yesterday and blew everyone off. You mentioned having a math test to deal with; letting the theft influence your studying and performance on the test would mean you would be allowing the theft to magnify the damage done.

Hope that helps somewhat.

18. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

$100 is nothing. I can buy and sell you with what's in my wallet (salmon skin, of course) right now.

Don't be a dick.

19. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

It's not the $100, it's the thought that the person you have to live with, or one of the friends you've trusted to be in your room alone would actually steal money from you. I'd be pissed if it were $5, just on principle. I hate shit like this, it just reminds me just how scum-sucking people can be. Property theft is probably outranked only by physical assault on the scumminess scale. I'd definitely set up the roomie as some kind of test. If he's got some kind of addiction that would make him stupid enough to steal from his roomie, he'd probably be stupid and desperate enough do it again.

20. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Long story short, some random weirdo walked in carrying on as if there were some emergency outside that needed my urgent attention. Exhausted and not thinking straight, I got fooled by his diversion and thought he might be serious, the ultimate result being that I turned my back to the pile of money that I had been sorting out, and the guy was able to pocket a large amount of cash without my noticing. After the guy left, I went back to finish handling the money and found out that he walked out with over $600. I couldn't just act like the money never existed either, since doing so would have meant my co-workers wouldn't get paid for their work. So not only did I make nothing for my labor that night, I had to make up the stolen money out of pocket (my boss was sympathetic enough to offer to split it with me, but that still means I'm out $300).

Ouch. That really sucks. But at least it was a stranger. When you know it's someone you know and trusted, that's really f---ed up.