• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CAVOUR Official Community - Discuss Tailoring, Shirting, Shoes & More - Official Affiliate Thread

NadalRG

Reaction score
I have a question for you seasoned Cavourheads. I have a couple of sport jackets in size 50 that I purchased within the past two years. The shoulder width and chest circumference are perfect for both, but I recently started noticing how long these jackets are. I wore them quite a lot, but recently their lengths have been bugging me. I'm 5'7", 160 lbs and have an average muscular build. They extend just past my thumbs. The problem is that the patch pockets are so close to the bottom, and I think shortening the jackets might throw off the look. Does anyone of a similar height/build have the same experience? Sorry for the picture quality.

View attachment 2076951
That's the problem with us short guys. I'm 5'6" and have the same issue with RTW jackets. I think for guys like us it's not only better, but probably necessary to go the MTM or bespoke route.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you seasoned Cavourheads. I have a couple of sport jackets in size 50 that I purchased within the past two years. The shoulder width and chest circumference are perfect for both, but I recently started noticing how long these jackets are. I wore them quite a lot, but recently their lengths have been bugging me. I'm 5'7", 160 lbs and have an average muscular build. They extend just past my thumbs. The problem is that the patch pockets are so close to the bottom, and I think shortening the jackets might throw off the look. Does anyone of a similar height/build have the same experience? Sorry for the picture quality.

View attachment 2076951
Don’t use your thumb to figure out how long your jacket should be. Hard to be sure from the cropped picture but length looks about right and like it covers your seat.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Would someone be able to help me understand what "winter" hopsack entails? I always associate hopsack w/ summer but I wonder if this specific fabric can be suitable year-round, but more so in the summer since I am in search of a spring to fall navy sportcoat.

Also not sure how the above differes from this Englihs hopsack, other than the slight difference in colour.

Both fall/winter fabrics.
One we had made up.
The other one is from M&E

Both quite similar.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

View attachment 2076951
The pattern is exactly the same.
So only differences are fabric weight and production margin (0,5cm)

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's not how it works... I work in procurement as my day job. VAT in Ireland is 23%, mswt (Swiss vat) is 7.7%, in US it's 0. Currency wise CHF is much stronger than Eur or USD, historically speaking so it should be cheaper, but cavour charges in USD anyway, and even after the conversion Ireland works out like 25% cheaper. Also cavour are Norwegian, not that any of that matters since all these countries are in the single market through EEA.

I'll give you a better example. Go on the Vass website and try ordering a pair of shoes from Ireland and then Switzerland. Then report back.

I'll be taking my business elsewhere, as 6 months ago, the process was the same as say Vass, and they suddenly changed it.
For the time being Switzerland is more expensive, because it has to follow the USD/USA regional presets in our system.

But once the new platform goes live, hopefully soon, we will be able to change it and make new rules for Switzerland as a separate region.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone be able to help me understand what "winter" hopsack entails? I always associate hopsack w/ summer but I wonder if this specific fabric can be suitable year-round, but more so in the summer since I am in search of a spring to fall navy sportcoat.

Also not sure how the above differes from this Englihs hopsack, other than the slight difference in colour.

First of all, I don't believe in year-round/all season fabrics. There's no such thing that can work equally as well during SS as FW and still maintain warmth and appropriate visual characteristics both seasons.

As for the FW hopsack, I have two jackets made up in that fabric from Marling & Evans. The best way to describe it is hopsack with a flannel like handle/look/feel to it. Porous and loosely woven with flannel finishing.

If you've handled Dugdale flannel from the English Town & Classics bunch book, that's how it looks/feels but mor porous and not as thick obviously. I like it for casual SCs. Beware though, it's not the warmest of jackets because of its porosity, but great if you want something less spongy and thick than Shetland Tweee or Harris Tweed, yet not as soft as Merino Tweed.

Last edited:

Refundyoda

Reaction score
For the time being Switzerland is more expensive, because it has to follow the USD/USA regional presets in our system.

But once the new platform goes live, hopefully soon, we will be able to change it and make new rules for Switzerland as a separate region.
But that is the correct way to do it, you're just doing it wrong... USD/CHF should not matter I.e. Shipping ex VAT. Both USA and CH should be DAP (buyer responsible for duty)

This could even be universal if you're shipping from Norway. Always use DAP, what you're trying to do is use DDP for EU and DAP for non EU. Even though at the check out DDP works out cheaper than DAP.... Which was not the case 6 months ago.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Black Friday has been busy and fun!

Thanks for all the support!

One thing concerned me though, Ricky has requested a substantial raise, and to have therapy sessions covered by the company.
And having a glance at the questions and requests in the inbox, I do sympathize…😂

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
While on that topic, I was inspired to contribute to the mental health of the customer care dept over at Berg & Berg..
BB5BCEB1-5ED8-4438-93F2-F9F3F512A819.png

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Friday has been busy and fun!

Thanks for all the support!

One thing concerned me though, Ricky has requested a substantial raise, and to have therapy sessions covered by the company.
And having a glance at the questions and requests in the inbox, I do sympathize…😂
I would love to see some of these questions. Maybe you could make a seasonal segment about it. I am sure you talking about it in a video, that reel would be a hit!

shoewarma

Reaction score
Don’t use your thumb to figure out how long your jacket should be. Hard to be sure from the cropped picture but length looks about right and like it covers your seat.
Yeah, my seat is pretty much covered entirely. I don't think anything looks wrong, but it just doesn't feel right at this length. Oh well, I'm just gonna have to live with it.

That's the problem with us short guys. I'm 5'6" and have the same issue with RTW jackets. I think for guys like us it's not only better, but probably necessary to go the MTM or bespoke route.
If I had that kind of access and dough to get bespoke tailoring, I would. I've never had trouble finding RTW jackets that are of correct length, but the Cavour ones seem longer than necessary.

The pattern is exactly the same.
So only differences are fabric weight and production margin (0,5cm)
you-talking-to-me-asking.gif

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, my seat is pretty much covered entirely. I don't think anything looks wrong, but it just doesn't feel right at this length. Oh well, I'm just gonna have to live with it.

If I had that kind of access and dough to get bespoke tailoring, I would. I've never had trouble finding RTW jackets that are of correct length, but the Cavour ones seem longer than necessary.

you-talking-to-me-asking.gif

NadalRG

Reaction score
I had the same issue with Natalino. So, we're shooting in the dark as short fellas lmao.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt