• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Goral footwear (made in Sheffield, UK) thread...

Moostyle

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was a bit surprised to find there is no thread on the forum for Goral footwear, a UK brand from Sheffield that makes sneaker-style shoes with blake stitching and thus are fully re-soleable. https://www.goral-shoes.co.uk/

I would love to hear from any Goral owners about their experiences as I have recently had a bad time with another UK brand and I am looking at Goral as a replacement, specifically the Mellor II series.

I am looking to discuss and get feedback on:

• Sizing and fit
  • Quality
  • Durability
  • Customer service

Thanks in advance. :)

Moostyle

Reaction score
Happy new year everyone! Are there no Goral owners on Styleforum that can please get things in this thread started? :D

Moostyle

Reaction score
Some news for international (non-UK customers). Currently Goral are engaging in the very unfair practise of charging UK VAT in their prices for anyone who is outside of the EU (they do remove UK VAT for EU users). I politely complained in detail about this and they told me they are now revising their pricing system to take this into account and make the pricing model more fair. This should be completed in April. :)

jazznpool

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Muggs 2.0 last December 21 and then a pair of Boulsover trainers January 15. I requested both pairs be shipped together. I’m still waiting and have not heard back from my inquiry a few days ago.
I have a pair of grey suede Cheaney x Goral trainers and they are comfortable and very well crafted. The experience prompted me to order the Boulsovers. I will only buy in stock items from them moving forward.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Cool shoes, thanks for the heads up. I like the High Tops and the Whitley especially.
Yeah the Whitley lokos pretty cool, think it's a new model! Would love a black wedge on the black shoe.
I ordered a pair of Muggs 2.0 last December 21 and then a pair of Boulsover trainers January 15. I requested both pairs be shipped together. I’m still waiting and have not heard back from my inquiry a few days ago.
I have a pair of grey suede Cheaney x Goral trainers and they are comfortable and very well crafted. The experience prompted me to order the Boulsovers. I will only buy in stock items from them moving forward.
Yeah it's often like this with any small "made to order" company, Crown Northampton generally take even longer in this regard.

How is the sizing of the Boulsovers vs other brands you own? :)

Moostyle

Reaction score
Some more updates:

1) I managed to score a used pair of Goral Mellor II (Mastrotto Adrian Bianco white with gum sole) for a really good price that I will use to get my sizing sorted.

2) Goral told me that they will also do shell options for Mellor II, either by the buyer sourcing the shell or by them sourcing the shell (Horween, Maryam or Rocado Veg tan from Italy). Overall cost if they source the shell will be around £600.

Needless to say I am really interested in a shell option so am willing to be a guinea pig for the community here. My first choice would be for Goral to source some Natural shell and make some Mellor II's with them. If they turn out good I would then be interested in black shell with black sole and navy blue shell with navy blue sole (I would have to see if they could source that as they told me they don't have blue cup soles). I would just need them to sort out the pricing discrepancies for non-UK buyers then I would be good to go.

Looking forward to receiving the Mellor II Mastrottos and I really hope that the sizing and quality work out! :)

Last edited:

Hungry Otto

Reaction score
Do Goral for Cheaney count for this thread? I have the white version that can currently be bought from Cheaney.
I have brown Horween version ordered directly from Goral. They should arrive in a month or so. The version made for Cheaney is comfortable out of the box. They squeaked a bit but I used some Saphir cream and the noise is gone. Sizing seems to be as expected. I wear mostly UK 9 and these fit slightly loose in the morning but spot on after my feet warm up during the day. (with thin socks)
Interestingly, Goral for Cheaney are exempt from Goral refurbishment service (and also Cheaney´s) so I guess some corners were cut in production.
The only other downside I can see is that feet will get warm in leather sneakers - that is to be expected. I am also not thrilled about Goral´s website. Prices shown are Ex VAT and I expect duties as well. (to continental EU). Crown Northampton and even Cheaney do ship VAT and Duties included so the administrative burden is not on the customer. With Goral you don´t know what the final price is.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Do Goral for Cheaney count for this thread? I have the white version that can currently be bought from Cheaney.
I have brown Horween version ordered directly from Goral. They should arrive in a month or so. The version made for Cheaney is comfortable out of the box. They squeaked a bit but I used some Saphir cream and the noise is gone. Sizing seems to be as expected. I wear mostly UK 9 and these fit slightly loose in the morning but spot on after my feet warm up during the day. (with thin socks)
Interestingly, Goral for Cheaney are exempt from Goral refurbishment service (and also Cheaney´s) so I guess some corners were cut in production.
The only other downside I can see is that feet will get warm in leather sneakers - that is to be expected. I am also not thrilled about Goral´s website. Prices shown are Ex VAT and I expect duties as well. (to continental EU). Crown Northampton and even Cheaney do ship VAT and Duties included so the administrative burden is not on the customer. With Goral you don´t know what the final price is.
We can discuss anything made by Goral in this thread! :)

So you are usually a UK9 and you have Goral UK9's and they fit mostly TTS with a bit of room, is that correct? I am wondering how my UK11's will fit when they arrive as I read reviews saying Goral may run a tiny bit small.

Regarding the website, by the end of the week it will be refreshed with new pricing and more accurate VAT calculations (like, actually removing UK VAT from non-EU orders). I can take some credit for that by being a pain in the behind to Goral about that to the point they said they would fix it. :D However I am not sure if they will include VAT always in the price and I don't think it is so necessary either as there is very little "admin burden" on the customer, you just have to pay the VAT invoice when it arrives.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I bought a very lightly used pair of Goral Mellor II in UK 10 in brown Horween that are slightly small for me - if anyone is interested.

Hungry Otto

Reaction score
We can discuss anything made by Goral in this thread! :)

So you are usually a UK9 and you have Goral UK9's and they fit mostly TTS with a bit of room, is that correct? I am wondering how my UK11's will fit when they arrive as I read reviews saying Goral may run a tiny bit small.

Regarding the website, by the end of the week it will be refreshed with new pricing and more accurate VAT calculations (like, actually removing UK VAT from non-EU orders). I can take some credit for that by being a pain in the behind to Goral about that to the point they said they would fix it. :D However I am not sure if they will include VAT always in the price and I don't think it is so necessary either as there is very little "admin burden" on the customer, you just have to pay the VAT invoice when it arrives.
Yep, I am UK 9, standard width in basically every shoe or boot I wear. (not counting some barefoots that would always be bigger and wider). I would say the fitting of the Goral pair can be considered snug in thicker socks, summer or light socks feel just fine.
I only had these for 2 months and longest walk was probably around 10km. I had no blisters with these.
It is possible that some may feel discomfort due to the shape of the front of the shoe. They seem to be more pointy and less rounded than some other brands. I would still stick with the regular size and tune the fit though the insole. (I am wearing these with standard insole provided)

Administrative burden may have been a bit of an euphemism:D
Still, shipping to Czech Republic means adding VAT (I can add 21% on top of price I see online, thank you very much). What irritates me is that Czech Post, DHL or some other provider will ask for handling fee when adding/ requesting duty payment. Those 2 numbers are the unknown that don't exist when ordering from Cheaney for example. Seller can ship delivery duty payed, which makes my life much easier. I obviously have no idea how difficult it is to set this on seller's side or how much it may cost them.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Yep, I am UK 9, standard width in basically every shoe or boot I wear. (not counting some barefoots that would always be bigger and wider). I would say the fitting of the Goral pair can be considered snug in thicker socks, summer or light socks feel just fine.
I only had these for 2 months and longest walk was probably around 10km. I had no blisters with these.
It is possible that some may feel discomfort due to the shape of the front of the shoe. They seem to be more pointy and less rounded than some other brands. I would still stick with the regular size and tune the fit though the insole. (I am wearing these with standard insole provided)

Administrative burden may have been a bit of an euphemism:D
Still, shipping to Czech Republic means adding VAT (I can add 21% on top of price I see online, thank you very much). What irritates me is that Czech Post, DHL or some other provider will ask for handling fee when adding/ requesting duty payment. Those 2 numbers are the unknown that don't exist when ordering from Cheaney for example. Seller can ship delivery duty payed, which makes my life much easier. I obviously have no idea how difficult it is to set this on seller's side or how much it may cost them.
Please write to them and tell them you want VAT calculations included. They won't read your complaints here most likely. You can reach them at customerservices(at)goral-shoes.co.uk replace (at) with an @

And yes the service charge can be annoying that's true! Interesting to hear they are pointy-shaped as the Mellor II on the site look quite rounded. I wonder if thats a Cheaney model specific shape.

Hungry Otto

Reaction score
I am comparing the shape with the only other pair of casual sneakers I currently have. They are made by Bohempia and are by default much wider, inspired by Converse (I guess). They are much more casual obviously.
Two months old Cheaney in leather vs years old sneakers with hemp upper. (but nowadays made in Romania)
I will post pictures of the brown ones when they arrive for comparison of Mellor ll vs Cheaney Gorals.
PS: I will write to Goral if I decide to purchase some other pair of their sneakers.

aaa.jpg

Please write to them and tell them you want VAT calculations included. They won't read your complaints here most likely. You can reach them at customerservices(at)goral-shoes.co.uk replace (at) with an @

And yes the service charge can be annoying that's true! Interesting to hear they are pointy-shaped as the Mellor II on the site look quite rounded. I wonder if thats a Cheaney model specific shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads