• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CAVOUR Official Community - Discuss Tailoring, Shirting, Shoes & More - Official Affiliate Thread

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but not sure of which other thread to post this.

I'll be taking a 2w trip to Europe this Fall, with plans to be in Paris, London, Edinburgh, for a few days each. It's been years since I've been to either location and my sartorial tastes have significantly evolved in that time. I plan to stop by several stores to try out their staples and identify which items fit me well, if it at all, which will make my life much easier for future orders, or at least serve as a great reference point. Here are some obvious stores I will be visiting because I haven't owned their products before, mostly due to uncertainty about fit. Not into Saville Row or other bespoke territory yet - not even close. Focus is on shoes, shirts, and trousers.

Any suggestions for stores you'd recommend visiting? Even if 1/5 suggestions lead me somewhere interesting, it will be appreciated. Probably won't return again for a while.

London - Barba, C&J (finally get to try out their various lasts), Santa Maria Shirtmakers, Baudoin Lange, Hackett, Edward Green, Drake's, Pantherella, Belstaff
Paris - Pini Parma, Scavini, Guerlain, Carmina
Edinburgh - Walker Slater
Probably just start a new thread instead of hijacking an affiliate vendors thread.

zurich64

Reaction score
What is the general opinion on belt loops vs side adjusters?
Do people like to wear belts with suits and other formal trousers?
Side adjusters with buttons for braces.
Longer front closure with a hidden button or going through a single loop to close a bit further to the right would be nice.

Smarter_than_Casual

Reaction score
A bit late to the party, but want to second the thought on high rise trousers. Definetly the thing that stopped me from buying Cavour before (especially something like the Fox suit for example) but also trouser seperates.

As for Side Tabs: I prefer Side Tabs on dress and formal trousers, belt loops on more casual ones.
Very pleased to hear on this and curious to how it goes on.

One more note: Any chance of more jackets with jetted pockets?
I do prefer those to patch pockets.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drape, clean and lean is the name of the game, yet no one is able to offer a satisfactory explanation as to why rear pockets should still apply. Unless it's for the fear of looking feminine when posting pics on social media for other men to stare at. (I thought you guys packed your heat/carried your masculinity at the front and not the back?) Yet still, no one has presented a more masculine and lean looking fit than the Vox pic I shared. Interesting.

It's not a deal breaker for me as it seems to be for others. But just saying. Please proceed.
A bit late to the party, but want to second the thought on high rise trousers. Definetly the thing that stopped me from buying Cavour before (especially something like the Fox suit for example) but also trouser seperates.

As for Side Tabs: I prefer Side Tabs on dress and formal trousers, belt loops on more casual ones.
Very pleased to hear on this and curious to how it goes on.

One more note: Any chance of more jackets with jetted pockets?
I do prefer those to patch pockets.
This is imperative.

Mirage-

Reaction score
Drape, clean and lean is the name of the game, yet no one is able to offer a satisfactory explanation as to why rear pockets should still apply. Unless it's for the fear of looking feminine when posting pics on social media for other men to stare at. (I thought you guys packed your heat/carried your masculinity at the front and not the back?) Yet still, no one has presented a more masculine and lean looking fit than the Vox pic I shared. Interesting.

It's not a deal breaker for me as it seems to be for others. But just saying. Please proceed.

This is imperative.
But why do we even have pockets on jackets in the first place, then? You're not even supposed to use them for anything more than a credit card, according to many people. Else you'll damage the drape of the jacket.
The answer, I suppose, is partially for historic reasons, partially because they add visual interest, and partially because somebody actually does use them on occasion.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But why do we even have pockets on jackets in the first place, then? You're not even supposed to use them for anything more than a credit card, according to many people. Else you'll damage the drape of the jacket.
The answer, I suppose, is partially for historic reasons, partially because they add visual interest, and partially because somebody actually does use them on occasion.
Sure, valid point. But if we adhere by historic reasoning the jacket shouldn't be taken off unless you wear a waistcoat and only if you're the oldest in the room. In which case this is a non issue.

People do actually use the jacket pockets, believe it or not. And I'm sure if you did a poll, you'd end up with a result showing that the jacket pockets are used more frequently than rear trouser pockets.

To each their own. As I said, it's a non issue for me since I don't take my jacket off.

Last edited:

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I pretty much use every pocket whether on my trousers or my jacket. I don't carry my briefcase with me when I'm running between meetings at the office.

Perhaps I subscribe more to the original workwear orientation of the lounge suit. Not to mention, the pocket buttons do add some visual interest.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I do use jacket pockets, I was just stating the policy that people tell ideally to follow. I also use one back trouser pocket for the smartphone when moving because there doesn't seem to be any better candidate (the front trouser pockets can't hold something that heavy without distorting the silhoutte completely, the internal jacket pocket can do the work somewhat but I find it uncomfortable to have that side of the jacket pulling down strongly.)

efta

Reaction score
What is the general opinion on belt loops vs side adjusters?
Do people like to wear belts with suits and other formal trousers?

I have never in my life worn belt with formal trousers/suit. Bought 2 pairs of trousers just to try the mod 2 fit (one with loops one without) and... well, unsurprisingly, I find the waist to be way too low (and perhaps a bit generous, agreeing with the guy before) and I just don't understand why on earth you'd make belt loops.

Height goes up and belt loops disappear, thats my 5 cents anyway.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The boys in the window are ready for F/W

6D1774AE-C399-4EEF-9F92-CDEFC294BC59.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads