• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vizard

Reaction score
I am having grief with Carmina and Paypal.

In summary, I bought some Carmina boots for my wife. Their site made it appear that they were operating in the UK, like many foreign makers that I buy from (based abroad but have a UK node). When all the confirmation emails arrived in Spanish I knew this was not the case.

The boots were the wrong shape and size, so they needed to be returned. Carmina wanted me to pay return postage. After a few emails back and forth Carmina went quiet on me. So I gave up and paid £45 to return the boots.

A couple of days later, Carmina replied with a free returns label! So I explained that I'd already paid and asked if they would cover the cost. They agreed and sent me a Paypal payment. However, I now find that it was in fact sent as a partial refund.

The boots are now being held in Spanish customs. They have been there about a month now. So I contacted Paypal, to see if they would refund my money. Carmina will get their boots back, when their amigos in customs get round to releasing them.

Paypal cannot open a case for the full purchase price, because the postage paid is showing as a partial refund.

So, I don't have the goods, I don't have my money and I am willing to bet that I have to fight to get refunded in full. It has all turned into a pain in the neck.

Lesson learned here. I won't again buy from any company until I am quite confident that their operation is such that returns will be quick and free. I am sure Carmina shoes are great, but I am unlikely ever to find out because I don't want to go through this again!

Subidoc

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this issue. I'll share with you that not everything is perfect state-side. Yesterday, I went to a store to return an item that was just unexpectedly large for my daughter when she normally wears a size 7 from that company. I purchased these online using PayPal. The store said that it could not process a PayPal return, and I would have to ship the return. Just very weird...

My case does not compare to the grief you have been put through, and I empathize...

Paddy1000111

Reaction score
I am having grief with Carmina and Paypal.

In summary, I bought some Carmina boots for my wife. Their site made it appear that they were operating in the UK, like many foreign makers that I buy from (based abroad but have a UK node). When all the confirmation emails arrived in Spanish I knew this was not the case.

The boots were the wrong shape and size, so they needed to be returned. Carmina wanted me to pay return postage. After a few emails back and forth Carmina went quiet on me. So I gave up and paid £45 to return the boots.

A couple of days later, Carmina replied with a free returns label! So I explained that I'd already paid and asked if they would cover the cost. They agreed and sent me a Paypal payment. However, I now find that it was in fact sent as a partial refund.

The boots are now being held in Spanish customs. They have been there about a month now. So I contacted Paypal, to see if they would refund my money. Carmina will get their boots back, when their amigos in customs get round to releasing them.

Paypal cannot open a case for the full purchase price, because the postage paid is showing as a partial refund.

So, I don't have the goods, I don't have my money and I am willing to bet that I have to fight to get refunded in full. It has all turned into a pain in the neck.

Lesson learned here. I won't again buy from any company until I am quite confident that their operation is such that returns will be quick and free. I am sure Carmina shoes are great, but I am unlikely ever to find out because I don't want to go through this again!
I knew that mine were coming from Spain but I wasn't expecting the return cost £120 odd for 3 pairs as one parcel

Subidoc

Reaction score
definitely. I tried the double sock off the bat, then a heavyweight hiking sock - my foot is still the small kid in the pool of the Detroit. I ordered some 3/4 and full insoles on AMZ to try as a remedy, so we'll see when they arrive if that does anything. Super disappointed with this fit, can't believe this last from Carmina seems so different from others

Don't be in a hurry to give up. If the Oscar is tight, as it was for me, give it some time and let the leather work itself around your foot. As for the Detroit, check with the store and ask if they could salvage the shoe for you. My brother in law was pleasantly surprised by the service when his loose chukka boots were resized for him. This was when Richard worked at the original NY store (I heard he has moved on).

Hope this helps.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for the Custom chukkas

thefoobar

Reaction score
Has Carmina stopped using Threedium's custom tool? The old one seems to load for me, including a reduced selection of leathers and lasts. Also of note: attractive shell GMTOs available at the moment...

test32323

Reaction score
I'm looking at Detroit EEE vs Llubi and having trouble deciding between the two, I got duck feet with very wide waist/mid foot, and skinny heel. 9.5E in Barrie and 9.5EEE in AE 5 last. I'm guessing I'm a 8.5 UK EEE in Detroit, but I read here that it has very high instep, I'm afraid I might slide around.

How do I tell if my instep is high or low enough for the different lasts?
Meermin has like a chart with girth measurements, does Carmina have something similar other than last visualization?

Missing Europe

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here.

I am curious whether any members have experience with Carmina's vegano tan in Pompei finish?

In particular, I'm wondering which polish color works best (I like and want to preserve the orange/reddish hue) and which color belt (from Carmina or others) matches well.

I just received the shoes. The unique color is beautiful, but that creates its own challenges...

captoe_oxfords_tan_vegano_80386_l.jpg

Cheers,
M

User888

Reaction score
Decided to get my first pair of loafers from Carmina rather than 2 from meermin. Can anyone attest for the comfort being any better or the same as meermin? Main reason I chose this route is because of how painful it was to break in my meermin loafers

I own quite a few pairs of both brands and the answer depends on what you value and your own stage in life (and maybe what kind of style you want). I got my Meermins in my early 20s and now I'm 30 and my budget has changed...my taste not so much. I still wear all of my Meermins, they are broken in and well kept and I also enjoy my Carminas. I live in a place where weather can be awful so I might wear my Meermins more often than my Carminas in fact.

No doubt Carminas are more refined but if you're looking for something generic like a chelsea or a double monk, you wont notice that much of a difference...or the average person wont.
Comfort is where the big difference lies, Carmina doesn't require much break in while Meermins are a lottery, it can take a few wears or it can be hell on earth. Once they are broken in, they are as comfortable in my experience (maybe a little bit stiffer)

So, if you need a beater shoe and are willing to break them in, Meermin isn't a bad option. If you have the budget and value the small details then Carmina is obviously a superior shoe. If you have the budget and you're in for the long game...i'd cover my needs with 1 pair of Carmina vs 2 of Meermin. Do that once a year and eventually you'll have a full collection of quality shoes.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
My MTO’s arrived a few days ago while I was out of town. Unfortunately, I’ve already had to reach out to customer service. There’s a minor defect in one shoe (noticeable scratches in the leather) and they weren’t made to spec. They completely forgot the eyelets I’d chosen. This is definitely not a good first experience with them. I don’t even know what resolution I’d like at this point but this certainly doesn’t provide a warm fuzzy feeling.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
Decided to get my first pair of loafers from Carmina rather than 2 from meermin. Can anyone attest for the comfort being any better or the same as meermin? Main reason I chose this route is because of how painful it was to break in my meermin loafers
I own loafers from both Carmina and Meermin and the Carmina's are in another class compared to the Meermins. The Meermins had the single worst break in of any footwear I have ever owned. Those plastic heel stiffeners are murder on your heels. The Carminas basically had zero break in which was surprising but very much appreciated.
They simple are not comparable, Carminas are superior to Meermin in finish, materials and in my experience, comfort. I won't be buying Meermins again but can't wait to buy another pair of Carminas

MrFingers

Reaction score
I own loafers from both Carmina and Meermin and the Carmina's are in another class compared to the Meermins. The Meermins had the single worst break in of any footwear I have ever owned. Those plastic heel stiffeners are murder on your heels. The Carminas basically had zero break in which was surprising but very much appreciated.
They simple are not comparable, Carminas are superior to Meermin in finish, materials and in my experience, comfort. I won't be buying Meermins again but can't wait to buy another pair of Carminas
Thank you very much. I have a small rotation of meermins based on budget but will likely move forward with Carmina for future purchases

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads