• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

doctorman

Reaction score
Any experiences good or bad with The Real Real or Grailed?

i've dealt with grailed quite a bit. i like that most sellers allow offers and that there is no tax (ebay started charging me tax a year ago). there is also a historical price comparison for what it's worth. contacting sellers is much more easily done on grailed. their feedback system is not as user-friendly as ebay. i find that ebay has more established sellers that truly care about their reputation.

i had a seller ship me a wrong jacket that reeked cigarette smell. contacted the seller trying to resolve it amongst ourselves - no response. contacted grailed a few days later only to be directly referred to paypal. it appears that whenever there is a problem, grailed wants nothing to do it. deal with paypal. in this regard, i've had much better experience with ebay.

Last edited:

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes move insanely slow for me. 2020 was the year of no dress shoes.
Men's shoes go quickly and at reasonable prices. Women's shoes, even when sold pretty cheap don't shift easily.

The thing that is really difficult to sell for me is odd jackets. They have to be really cheap to sell, and even then can take months to sell.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On Saturday, 12/12/2020, a buyer bought a jacket from me. I shipped on Monday, 12/14/2020, and the jacket was hung up in shipping. Tracking number is available for her to view.

Buyer messages me on 12/21/2020, telling me she hasn't received it yet. I refund her in full. The jacket is still with USPS. Tracking still shows as sitting in PA.

12/26/2020, buyer accuses me of "supposedly" dropping off at PO, and of "unshipping" the jacket. I do not reply.

Jacket is delivered on 01/02/2021. Buyer says nothing.

I send this to buyer on 01/10/2021:
View attachment 1539538
On 01/15/2021, buyer responds:
View attachment 1539540
20 minutes later...
View attachment 1539543
Man, sometimes I hate dealing with people.
Why did you refund her in the first place? Never send a refund until required, with the temporary protections eBay added for these delays you had a lot more time....Essentially 2 weeks after a buyer opens a case, and The longer you can politely stall them from opening a case the better.

Last edited:

RFHansen

Reaction score
Hi Guys, have you ever had that:
You can make offers to the audience, but somehow eBay has not displayed % off but instead total?
Example: 150$ --> 10% Discount --> But ebay displayed it as 10$ to the buyers.
Of course, 1 bought it, how do I cancel that now?
How do you cancel without getting punished by eBay and negative feedback?

Thx

I am pretty sure this just happened to me, although the mistake could be mine. Just had the pleasure of selling a pair of loafers for $0.54 because it said $30 off instead of 30% off. Needless to say, the sale is now closed.

vestbash

Reaction score
Hi Guys, have you ever had that:
You can make offers to the audience, but somehow eBay has not displayed % off but instead total?
Example: 150$ --> 10% Discount --> But ebay displayed it as 10$ to the buyers.
Of course, 1 bought it, how do I cancel that now?
How do you cancel without getting punished by eBay and negative feedback?

Thx

I once accidentally sent out a a 90% off offer on all of my items to interested parties instead of 10% off.

Needless to say, I had a nearly had a heart attack when I looked at my phone and had a dozen paypal push notifications for $30 and $40 payments into my account a piece in the span of a few minutes. Fortunately all of the buyers understood when I cancelled their purchase outright.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experiences good or bad with The Real Real or Grailed?

The Real Real is great once you understand what they will and won't accept. They are super picky, if it has any flaw, don't bother sending. To make it worth it you need to sell $10k plus thru them to get on the 70% commission plan and need to be sending items that are over $200. I love sending them women's clothes as they sell for 2-3x what I could get for them on ebay.

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm a dumbass and had an item not received case opened from an impatient buyer in Sweden. I messaged the buyer to let them know that if they check the tracking number on the Canada Post website they'll see the item has arrived in Stockholm and is waiting to clear customs. I didn't get a reply. Instead he escalated the case and got it closed in his favour. I called ebay and they told me they'd send an email to the "appeals department" and I could expect a message within 48 hours.

Is there anything I can do (either now or when tracking shows it arrived in a week or so) or am I out the item, the purchase price and trans-atlantic tracked shipping?
Update: Never heard from eBay's "appeals department" but the buyer did receive the shoes. I got eBay to call me and talked to a guy who sounded like he was half in the bag smoking a cigar in a dark basement. He reversed the decision and reimbursed me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting anything in or out of Toronto and surrounding areas in the next few weeks. Looks like I'm finally going to try one of those USPS border drop-off shippers.

gorebug

Reaction score
Good luck getting anything in or out of Toronto and surrounding areas in the next few weeks. Looks like I'm finally going to try one of those USPS border drop-off shippers.

I use ChitChats and have been very happy so far. I can ship stuff cheaper and faster from Calgary to Florida with ChitChats than I can to Toronto through canadaPost. The exception being heavy parcels are still usually cheaper through CP.

I also like that they sell 25 piece bundles of USPS Priority Mail boxes for only $3 which makes them a much cheaper option for boxes.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone crochet???

Their lone sale:
Screenshot 2021-01-25 202852.png

haloitsme

Reaction score
I once accidentally sent out a a 90% off offer on all of my items to interested parties instead of 10% off.

Needless to say, I had a nearly had a heart attack when I looked at my phone and had a dozen paypal push notifications for $30 and $40 payments into my account a piece in the span of a few minutes. Fortunately all of the buyers understood when I cancelled their purchase outright.
yes sucks.... somehow I am not sure If I made the mistake or eBay...

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about eBay fees since they stopped their agreement with PayPal. For what it’s worth I do very low volume.

My understanding is that eBay is taking out insertion and shipping and the difference goes to your bank account. Do you still pay a monthly fee at the end of the month? If so what is that covering ? Thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads