• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Nickd

Reaction score
Hi Guys, have you ever had that:
You can make offers to the audience, but somehow eBay has not displayed % off but instead total?
Example: 150$ --> 10% Discount --> But ebay displayed it as 10$ to the buyers.
Of course, 1 bought it, how do I cancel that now?
How do you cancel without getting punished by eBay and negative feedback?

Thx
eBay always shows it as a total for me, then as a percentage after I’ve said what the offer I want to send is.

Nickd

Reaction score
The last 2 missing packages from the Dec 14th shipment finally got their first scans yesterday. Amazingly both buyers are still patiently waiting, and neither has opened a case. Did have a third package show up yesterday as well, but I have already refunded the payment on that one, fortunately it was only about $20.
Not relevant to your post above, but if your avatar is the same as the one you have on eBay the your listings are showing as free postage to the U.K. - see below, Spoo’s listing is how items in the US usually show. I thought it was a U.K. listing when I first saw it.

F38E2B1E-345F-4668-9604-6FF9F1015790.png

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not relevant to your post above, but if your avatar is the same as the one you have on eBay the your listings are showing as free postage to the U.K. - see below, Spoo’s listing is how items in the US usually show. I thought it was a U.K. listing when I first saw it.

View attachment 1537983
That is correct, my eBay UK listings have pricing inclusive of postage, and show Free Shipping to boost interest.

Last edited:

Nickd

Reaction score
That is correct, my eBay UK listings have pricing inclusive of postage, and show Free Shipping to boost interest.
👍 That’s a good deal for people. I didn’t want it to be a glitch and then you be surprised when someone bought it.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you do when someone returns something after you've denied their return request? Ignore and block? Offer to ship it back to them at their expense? Refund anyways, with a restocking fee to cover fees I'm not going to get back? It's a winter coat too, so the season is ending too.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experiences good or bad with The Real Real or Grailed?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you do when someone returns something after you've denied their return request? Ignore and block? Offer to ship it back to them at their expense? Refund anyways, with a restocking fee to cover fees I'm not going to get back? It's a winter coat too, so the season is ending too.
They sent it back without an open return?

div25sec9

Reaction score
I'd wait a bit before doing anything. It's most likely they are going to raise an issue with eBay, so I'd wait until that time to decide. It might be an issue where you might have to eat a return to save a negative, so if they shipped it already, then at least you won't be stuck with shipping costs.

Any experiences good or bad with The Real Real or Grailed?
I've dealt with Grailed... it seems to be best suited for high demand and trendy products in streetwear; anything classic menswear or average brands doesn't seem to move at all there. Think Supreme, Moncler, LV... I've stopped posting much there at all; as they raised fees and the market is quite particular there.

LaundryRoom

Reaction score
On Saturday, 12/12/2020, a buyer bought a jacket from me. I shipped on Monday, 12/14/2020, and the jacket was hung up in shipping. Tracking number is available for her to view.

Buyer messages me on 12/21/2020, telling me she hasn't received it yet. I refund her in full. The jacket is still with USPS. Tracking still shows as sitting in PA.

12/26/2020, buyer accuses me of "supposedly" dropping off at PO, and of "unshipping" the jacket. I do not reply.

Jacket is delivered on 01/02/2021. Buyer says nothing.

I send this to buyer on 01/10/2021:
Screenshot 2021-01-20 165333.jpg

On 01/15/2021, buyer responds:
Screenshot 2.jpg

20 minutes later...
Screenshot 3.jpg

Man, sometimes I hate dealing with people.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF is UNSHIPPING like she thought you were able to fake the tracking? Where do people come up with these things??

As for mine, Yes, they sent back after I denied their return request for fit.

I am holding off on responding, he actually already gave me positive feedback, so that's odd, I don't know if he has anything else he can do. I guess I can just offer to refund less fees, since he didn't go through ebay, I'm not going to get any fees refunded.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Saturday, 12/12/2020, a buyer bought a jacket from me. I shipped on Monday, 12/14/2020, and the jacket was hung up in shipping. Tracking number is available for her to view.

Buyer messages me on 12/21/2020, telling me she hasn't received it yet. I refund her in full. The jacket is still with USPS. Tracking still shows as sitting in PA.

12/26/2020, buyer accuses me of "supposedly" dropping off at PO, and of "unshipping" the jacket. I do not reply.

Jacket is delivered on 01/02/2021. Buyer says nothing.

I send this to buyer on 01/10/2021:
View attachment 1539538
On 01/15/2021, buyer responds:
View attachment 1539540
20 minutes later...
View attachment 1539543
Man, sometimes I hate dealing with people.
Did she eventually pay for it?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any tips for selling my used shoes on eBay?

I got good photos and good descriptions. Maybe I will incorporate shipping in the price and offer it as free as I read above.

Thanks, it’s my first time listing. Marketplace, IG hasn’t worked well so far.

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any tips for selling my used shoes on eBay?

I got good photos and good descriptions. Maybe I will incorporate shipping in the price and offer it as free as I read above.

Thanks, it’s my first time listing. Marketplace, IG hasn’t worked well so far.
Good photos, correct sizing info and pricing that's in line with other recently completed sales will generally be enough to find a buyer for your shoes as long as there's a market for them. It sounds like you've already got most of that sorted out. Good luck!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.