• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to send $800 shoes to Japan, via USPS, but protect myself. Thanks.

Express mail international with insurance. Even without insurance, its only ~$10 more expensive than priority mail international, which does not have tracking.

EDIT: Use USPS's shoe box if possible, otherwise just packaging paper wrap around the shoe box, reinforce the corners with extra tapes to make sure it wont get crushed. Mark it as sample or returned goods to avoid getting hold up at customs for days. Try not to send around holiday season or public holidays.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't take returns this line stands out to me
Even with a stated no return policy, if it is my error, of course I will take the return and pay for return shipping. However, does this line imply that sellers should pay return shipping even on standard item returns simply when a buyer does not like the product?
Apparently they bill the buyer for the return shipping charges, unless they are returning it for "not as described". What would keep buyers from just sellecting that option once they know it would be free for them?

You can even set up an automatic restocking fee, which I love the idea, but I still think buyers will take advantage of the "not as described" loophole.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have multiple eBay / paypal accounts? I looked into setting up a 2nd one a while ago, to buy stuff I would resell, and sell stuff that I wouldn't want mixed in with my regular listings...and it seems they make it pretty difficult to do yourself (meaning: not having a separate person set one up that you use yourself). Wondering if it's gotten any easier...

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have multiple eBay / paypal accounts?  I looked into setting up a 2nd one a while ago, to buy stuff I would resell, and sell stuff that I wouldn't want mixed in with my regular listings...and it seems they make it pretty difficult to do yourself (meaning: not having a separate person set one up that you use yourself).  Wondering if it's gotten any easier...

I have multiple acccounts, I just don't use the same registered email and I don't use the same Paypal account.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So...I'm bidding on something on eBay, currently the only bidder at their minimum bid, and today I get a message from the seller: "Just for further knowledge I will not let these go for a cheap price so if the item ends a day early thats why". Wow, so they're gonna end the auction early, even if it has bids, and they're letting me know up front. Instead of originally listing them with a higher start or a reserve. That's kinda ****** - think I'll add them to the blacklist just for being a douche. Was gonna respond with "That's ******" and "Lots of auctions get bids in the last hours or minutes" or even "eBay will still charge you final value fees" (not true, yet)...but I'll see what happens.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Haha, stupid practice too since almost all bids happen in the last hour. Not like adding a reserve price is that expensive. If it doesn't get other bids and you know he will pull the item, set up a third account and bid it way the hell up... but you know, don't pay for such a not cheap price.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, stupid practice too since almost all bids happen in the last hour. Not like adding a reserve price is that expensive. If it doesn't get other bids and you know he will pull the item, set up a third account and bid it way the hell up... but you know, don't pay for such a not cheap price.

The seller is a noob (22 feedbacks), but also kind of an idiot - the way they listed their item, no one is looking for it and I just stumbled across it, planning to buy & resell. The 3rd account is a good idea, but I doubt I'll go thru the trouble, and would rather just let this one go. Picking my battles.

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Halp!

I recently sold these pants: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150889315299?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

and today received this message from the buyer: Hi, I received the pants today, and they're black, not navy. I'd like to return them for a full refund. Please let me know how that can be arranged.

While dark, there's no way these aren't "navy" in fact my MacBook Pro's keyboard and my company laptop both serve as decent contrasts in color. I chose pretty accurate photos as well. I listed the item with a no return clause but would happily accept a return if I made a mistake.

Does the buyer have a case? What should I do?

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Halp!
I recently sold these pants: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150889315299?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649
and today received this message from the buyer: Hi, I received the pants today, and they're black, not navy. I'd like to return them for a full refund. Please let me know how that can be arranged.
While dark, there's no way these aren't "navy" in fact my MacBook Pro's keyboard and my company laptop both serve as decent contrasts in color. I chose pretty accurate photos as well. I listed the item with a no return clause but would happily accept a return if I made a mistake.

Try to explain to him that the pants are navy, by Brooks Brothers definition. Ask him to put the pants side by side with something black, in natural light. BB navy is very dark and can easily be confused with black, especially indoors.

If that doesn't satisfy him then he is either a complete dumbass or the just wants to return the pants for another reason. But if he still wants to return them, take the return. The seller is always wrong on ebay.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Probably easiest to just take the return if you think you can resell for at least the same price. Definitely let him know that the pants are navy as described. Tell him to ship them back to you and then refund his purchase price less shipping.

Inspecting further, I have a feeling that they don't fit him. 15.5" waist measurement on size 32 is pretty small and likely not what he is used to.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Halp!

...in addition to what was already mentioned, a lot of men have trouble telling dark navy blue from black and vice-versa (it's a male / genetic thing). I have that problem and have to compare to something of which I already know the color. You're right, he's wrong - your listing photos clearly show the difference when compared to the keyboard and laptop.

Blog Marley

Reaction score
His response: I did, and they were identical to a black pair that I have. I have a navy jacket from Brooks Brothers and it's a clear blue. I'm not sure why this one would be called navy. May I return it? If so, please instruct where I should send this item.

Looks like I'm taking them back :/ oh the joys of selling on eBay.

Question, a buyer on this forum expressed interest in the same pants but backed out after I couldn't figure out a way to get it to him tracked and insured for under $40. What's the best and cheapest way to ship to Paris while also protecting me?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads