Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. grendel

grendel Senior member

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

How awesome is GarageSale? :slayer:

Template looks *ok* - Im not personally a fan of right justified photos, and theres a lot of words there, not enough about the item.

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

I'm getting used to GarageSale... I like the templates, anyway. I can see where when I get more used to it it can save me time and money.

Why no on the right-justified pics? That was my favorite from the image locations.

I hear you on the lots of text... I just felt like that stuff needed to be said somewhere, and since I don't have a store I don't have custom pages to put the terms, etc. like Capnwes does (oh, and thanks to Wes for letting me steal some of his terms text). Where else could I put that stuff to not clutter up the auction itself?

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I migrated from Turbo Lister when I used a PC to GS now on a Mac and after some practice, youll never look back.

My eyes were all over the place on your template - left, right, left, right. Image, words, image, words, etc. I personally prefer a flow, and I dont like a wall of text. Most of those terms are kinda pointless anyway, really. Just keep it simple - people come to your auction to see more about an item they want to give you money for, not to read about hard line stances on unenforceable policies if something goes wrong.

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Great goofy movie - it was filming in Madison when I was living there as a kid - ol' Rodney made time for us regular folks and said "hello", took pictures etc. Nice guy.

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

7. TheNeedMachine

Ditto that - lotta fricking words. If I had to write a sentence that covered every negative experience I have had, and every potential issue, and so on - I'd have a 15-paragraph chunk of text at the end of every listing. As Spoo said - it's mostly unenforceable in the grand scheme, so I just try to be truthful, easy and honest as a seller. And as a buyer - which I am on occasion - I don't want to read that much unless it's a car or oriental rug or something. But that's me personally, and I do understand the desire / need to CYA with listings...

8. TheNeedMachine

9. TheNeedMachine

GODDAMNIT IT I NEED A BREATHALYZER ON THIS LAPTOP. just bid $525 on something on eBay. hoist another lager in the hopes of being outbid.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

I did that by hand in the template HTML. You could do the same in plain eBay listings.

11. TheNeedMachine

I do have my few standard HTML templates...but have forgotten all that onclick stuff. Quick refresher is all - can get that online. Thanks for sharing your templates / ideas.

12. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

It looks good to me, though I also prefer left-justified images. That's a typical method: filmstrip on the left, details on the right. There's nothing actually wrong with it this way; it just feels a little off-balance to me.

13. SpooPoker

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  15. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Has anyone tried goofy key word/title descriptions?
    I'm not talking COOL or LUXURY, more like SPERM.
    [​IMG]
    I figure that the market for this shirt is a club goer - I can just seem some drunken idiot telling everyone about it.
    Or is using this word going to flag with the eBay admins?