Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Do you photoshop the background too?

2. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

I'd rather not spend the time, but with the mannequin so close to the backdrop and no third light to eliminate shadows, it doesn't end up looking good. I did an inverse selection of the suit and then a gradient fill of the background (white to very light grey). I'm going to try a different hanging background and see if that works better.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+1 that is as good as it gets.

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

OK, got my first case opened against me. Dude from Canada bought a Thomas Pink shirt for $20something. I shipped via priority international. Tracking stops at the border. Claims he never received it. Asked where it was. I responded with the information I had (ship date; ship method; border cross date). No further correspondence and he opened the case saying that I said it "might be delayed" -- untrue.

Granted, I should have shipped express international, but that's clearly not something I can control at this point.

So here's my question: Is the negative impact of the case permanent once it's been opened, or can I get the tarnish removed by getting him to close the case? If I can reverse the impact, my inclination is to contact the buyer and offer a 100% refund for rescission of the case. Keep in mind: I never fight returns. What's the point -- especially since Ebay is going to rule against me 90+% of the time? Usually I just get the item back and can then resell it. Totally not worth going 13 rounds with some jokester.

So: Help. How do I get myself out of this jam? 200+ items, and this is now an unfortunate first.

6. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

Go to Canada Post website and put in the exact same tracking number. You should get more details.
    Ken

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

No dice. Says it retrieved no information and that tracking is not available for this item.

EDIT: according to one google result, priority IS tracked into Canada EXCEPT for flat rate envelopes and small boxes. On the interwebs so clearly true. Either way, let's assume I have no way of proving the item arrived (and even if I did, my understanding is I will lose the case anyway).

Seems to me I'm destined to lose here, no matter what I do. So I continue to believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: If I just offer him a full refund (puts me out the cost of the item plus shipping -- and I'm sure he HAS the item), can I head off the negative impact of the case? Can't prevent him from dinging me on feedback, but I suppose I can retaliate if he does.

Thoughts?

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ If you opt to close the case, or if its escalated to ebay decision and they find in your favor, theres no impact on your account.

edit - and you can't retaliate on feedback lol.

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Phrased inartfully. I know it is against policy to use feedback as a weapon. I meant: If buyer leaves me poor feedback even if I offer a refund, I can always leave bad feedback reflecting that. Or ask Ebay to remove the unwarranted negative feedback.

Edit: "closing the case" would mean granting the refund, right? So basically the same thing I was proposing? And if he dings me on feedback, I can get that removed, right? So as long as I take it on the chin, there should be no further collateral effect, right?

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Theres no way they will remove a neg in that circumstance. If he negs you, its gonna stick. And yes, to close the case = offer refund on your own accord.

11. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

You should be able to do a full refund to end the case. However, the buyer can still leave negative, neutral or positive feed back. Based upon your previous posts, it sounds like you are ok with a refund. I would send him the refund, and then send him a message stating that if he does receive the item, have him keep it with your complements. Apologize for the shitty tracking that the postal service has. That may be enough to keep any negative feedback off your transaction.

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

How do you leave bad feedback for a buyer?

13. SpooPoker

By leaving a positive with bad words in it. Be careful with that though, you'll get one of these :

[​IMG]

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

You may get a buyer who doesn't know what is going on, but a savvy jerkoff buyer will report it to ebay and it will be removed.

From ebay policy:

We don't allow Feedback comments that contain:

Links or scripts
    References to eBay or PayPal investigations
    Negative statements left for a buyer that conflict with the positive rating

I think the most that a seller can do is leave lukewarm comments. "He paid" "Average buyer" That would stand out in the world of "A++++++++++, 100000 Stars!, BEST EBAYER SINCE JESUS!!!!!!" drivel that passes for buyer feedback.

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

"Too good for my business - won't sell to again!"