• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1st year ever? :uhoh: I think I've done taxes since I was 16 and had a part time job.

What is her feedback left for others like or just post the ebay ID?

How much could it sell easily for? You profit margin is not really the $525, but the difference of what if could sell easily for minus the $525, if you think you could sell it easily for $400 you are there by gaining $125. Is $125 profit weighed against the risk of losing $400 worth it?

It was given to my fiance as a gift a long time ago. She never used it so she wanted me to sell it. I told the buyer that I would let her return it as long as it was postmarked within 2 days of her receiving it. Her feedback as a buyer has been good.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regional Rate A, side loading box. I wrap them in the plastic that the dry cleaner provides or put it inside of another tyvek envelope. I have seen shirts in ziplock bags, but I don't think I would put a sc or jacket in there.

Thanks, you dry clean before listing?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regional Rate A, side loading box. I wrap them in the plastic that the dry cleaner provides or put it inside of another tyvek envelope. I have seen shirts in ziplock bags, but I don't think I would put a sc or jacket in there.

What does this cost you on average? I ship blazers in a tyvek that's placed inside of a poly mailer. On average it runs about $7.25.

Man of Wealth and Taste

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good consignment service or person? I have a half dozen or so suits I want to get rid of (mostly fashion house stuff, like Prada, Dior and Gucci - nothing really SF approved) and I take terrible pictures and have next to no ebay seller profile, so I think it makes sense for me to consign them off.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does this cost you on average? I ship blazers in a tyvek that's placed inside of a poly mailer. On average it runs about $7.25.

Regional rate price depends on the distance. Cheapest for me in California is around 5.50 to ship within my state. The further East I go, NY etc, it will increase to a maximum price of around 9.80 ish. I like priority in US because of the tracking and 2-3 day delivery. The feedback Ive received as a seller shows that most buyers are very thankful for such quick shipping.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do free shipping, so Its a bit of a gamble on my end since I am on the East Coast. For Washington DC and closer I only pay $5.50ish for whatever I can get in a regional rate A. Mid West $8 and West Coast is $10.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good consignment service or person? I have a half dozen or so suits I want to get rid of (mostly fashion house stuff, like Prada, Dior and Gucci - nothing really SF approved) and I take terrible pictures and have next to no eBay seller profile, so I think it makes sense for me to consign them off.

There are 2 consignors on this thread that I know of, Brianpore and Spoo. Shoot them both a PM and they will get back to you if they haven't already preemptively reached out.

http://www.styleforum.net/u/86962/brianpore

http://www.styleforum.net/u/65974/spoopoker

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do free shipping, so Its a bit of a gamble on my end since I am on the East Coast. For Washington DC and closer I only pay $5.50ish for whatever I can get in a regional rate A. Mid West $8 and West Coast is $10.
This. Honestly the average might be the same, at $7.25. I live on the East Coast as well and find, I guess luckily, that the items I need to send in boxes are usually up and down the East Coast. The cost is usually around $6.83.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
question on suit jackets/sports coats:.

a)for sports coats just fold them in to a medium flat rate USPS box? or the large one?
b)and would you gift wrap/ wrap with wedding paper type material? or just stuff it in as is?
c)I was also thinking just get really big ziplock bags and just keep it in there and ship it like that

thanks guys

I use either Medium Flat Rate box or Medium Mailing box (side load variety). They are approx. the same size, but if it's a lighter-weight SC I can mail it for cheaper if I use the "mailing" box vs. the "flat rate" box. Your local post office likely does not stock the plain medium mailing box, but probably does stock the flat rate box. I charge $8 to ship a SC, and it usually costs me more but occasionally less - so be it - I take it into consideration on the listing price as well.

I wrap the SC in tissue paper.
I used to fold the SC's in a convoluted manner (search YouTube for "how to fold a sport coat"). Now I just fold in half length-wise at the collar, then in thirds so it ends up fitting nicely inside the medium USPS box.

I do not think using big ziploc bags would be ideal...or cost-effective. I've never had one get wet in transit and don't personally use any sort of plastic wrap or bags.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: ME
bigstar[1].gif
PM Sent your way - Spoo isn't too shabby either
lol8[1].gif

I assume ur eBay sales are included as personal income vs business income for tax purposes? Or do you have a separate business license for eBay sales?
My only concern would be she sends you back a fake. Not sure how ebay would handle that, or she claims its not real (ebay refunds her and asks her to destroy the fake item). There was a pretty famous article about a rare guitar that I remember reading.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good consignment service or person? I have a half dozen or so suits I want to get rid of (mostly fashion house stuff, like Prada, Dior and Gucci - nothing really SF approved) and I take terrible pictures and have next to no ebay seller profile, so I think it makes sense for me to consign them off.

I would have also recommended Spoo (did not know that Brianpore did it as well).

I met a very nice guy in St. Pete FL, by the name of Kevin McBride, who has the only brand name/designer men's consignment shop in that part of the state. I meant to mention him & his shop on SF before but it slipped my mind. He doesn't need to slash prices or have clearances because he apparently moves the merch and gets good prices for it, being the only brick-and-mortar shop in FL that carries the stuff outside of maybe Miami. I saw Prada and Gucci when I was there; other higher-end brands, as well as Missoni, Etro etc, and more everyday stuff - pretty much runs the gamut. Being a physical store, there are no eBay, Paypal, outgoing shipping fees, and some buyers prefer to shop in a store vs. online. He does list stuff on eBay but said he does better on-site vs. online. He also said he consigns for a number of people all over the country. Guess it depends on where your items might do the best - online or in a shop. In any event, here's his web site.

Would not recommend consigning at Labels Resale in Atlanta - I've consigned there and ended up with a paltry sum after the 90-day consignment period. I have shopped there as well, and did get some deals on clearance items but you have to be careful since they do sell damaged / stained items.

Consigning can be a good way to go, though - when I consider all the time I spend taking measurements and photos, writing descriptions, packing, shipping, buying supplies and fretting over things...sometimes I think I'd be happier getting half the $ I ended up getting vs. selling it myself on eBay, without having to do all the stuff I dislike most. And some consignment folks are frequently featured the PTO eBay round-up, which boosts the views by hundreds and brings more $ than if you listed the same thing yourself.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
source for tissue paper?

I buy the "value pack" (40 sheets) from Target ("Spritz" brand name) in the greeting card / gift wrap section - I buy like 3 or 4 packs at a time since I use so much. Plain white. And doesn't leave fibers all over the place like the cheaper stuff from WalMart etc that seems to be made from recycled newsprint. It's also a larger sheet size - stuff from other stores is so small you can't wrap anything with it. I wrap everything in plain white tissue paper - SC's, shirts, pants, ties etc, and get compliments / positive feedback on my packing & shipping. For larger items (SC's etc) I'll use 4 pieces - 2 "stacks" of 2 pieces each, then tape them together end-to-end on both sides to make a large 2-ply sheet - can wrap & tape a folded SC into that no problem.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There are 2 consignors on this thread that I know of, Brianpore and Spoo. Shoot them both a PM and they will get back to you if they haven't already preemptively reached out.

http://www.styleforum.net/u/86962/brianpore

http://www.styleforum.net/u/65974/spoopoker

:slayer:

ME
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif
PM Sent your way - Spoo isn't too shabby either
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

:fence:

You have a PM, but you can read more about my service here. Brianpore is a great dude and I do recommend him as well. I consigned something to him myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics