Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Sc

Scan them and store them digitally. I didn't think I would need the actual physical copy...

2. suited

suited Senior member

I keep them in a shoebox. Old school. I write on the back a brief description of what I bought.

I received this message from someone inquiring about a new Gucci handbag I have listed. She said she was interested, but only if I would accept returns. I explained to her my hesitation on returns on general, and asked her if there was something she couldn't see in the photos or description. This is what she said:

Nearly ever bad experience I've had as a seller has been linked to someone that had poor grammar, whether it was a result of English being their 2nd language...or just poor grammar. They also only have 9 feedback. Most of the time a message like this would be a red flag for me, but it's tempting considering that the bag is listed for $525.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Have u ever found urself having to reference them for taxes?

4. suited

suited Senior member

This will be my first year doing taxes. I hope I don't have to.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh you're cool then. I thought you weren't keeping them at all.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

To Streamline my receipt storage routine, I'm thinking of of just taking a quick picture of the receipt with my phone, and then emailing them to myself. From there I can categorize them by months in different folders....This will cut down on having to use a scanner and upload them to my computer hardrive. Rather use an email account as a cloud based system.

Anyone else use some sort of system similar?

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

@ Brian, no no I have been doing my taxes since I was 16 as well. This will be the first time having to include eBay sales...

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] That's what I assumed. I personally keep all my receipts, map out my miles, have ebay/paypal/shipping fees printed out etc. You prob wont need them, something like 3% of people get audited, but if you dont have them you can't prove what your investment costs were. In this case it's only $5-10 per item prob so not the end of the world but just a pain that can snowball. I think you need to keep them for 7 years if I'm not mistaken.

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I assume ur eBay sales are included as personal income vs business income for tax purposes? Or do you have a separate business license for eBay sales?

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You only need a true business tax ID if you have payroll...I think. If you don;t have one, your business ID is your name. It can all be filed together in one return, but there is a business section. I use Turbo Tax, Home and Business edition. Piece of cake.

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

And as far as collecting sales tax, were able to collect it via eBay without a EIN # issued from our state?

13. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

question on suit jackets/sports coats:.

a)for sports coats just fold them in to a medium flat rate USPS box? or the large one?
    b)and would you gift wrap/ wrap with wedding paper type material? or just stuff it in as is?
    c)I was also thinking just get really big ziplock bags and just keep it in there and ship it like that

thanks guys

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

And as far as collecting sales tax, were able to collect it via eBay without a EIN # issued from our state?

15. tben

tben Senior member

Regional Rate A, side loading box. I wrap them in the plastic that the dry cleaner provides or put it inside of another tyvek envelope. I have seen shirts in ziplock bags, but I don't think I would put a sc or jacket in there.