1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Same reason they do/dont spam low ball offer now. Not really sure how this changes anything except pushing people to pay for items faster and reducing the time for the unpaid item reminder/cancel transcation/relist process.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Because an offer was a commitment to buy. There's no reason to make them confirm twice. The only reason it may work better is because ebay is broken already.

3. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

it works that way in jewelry i think ebay s trying to expand it to clothing, its not so bad if you think about it, it keeps pressure for other buyers, and avoids the whole non paying bidder routine that drags on for a week

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Right, but this leaves the item available until payment is made, just as in BIN situation. Trying to put an end to the buyers who don't understand that a "commitment to buy" means they actually have to pay for the item.

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I'm not saying it doesn't work... I'm just sad that it's needed :(

6. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

I'm finally listing a bunch of stuff. Props to you big time sellers. This is a ton of work.

Apparently I hadn't accepted the revised user agreement that was effective July 1. In accepting the agreement I was automatically enrolled in the GSP, which of course I don't want to be. I immediately went into my preferences to opt out, but it says I have to wait 24 hours since I just opted in by accepting the entire user agreement. Arrrgh. So my question is... if I upload a bunch of auctions tonight (while I'm allegedly opted into the GSP) will my opting out of GSP tomorrow be reflected in those listings such that I won't have to use GSP when those auctions close 10 days from now? Or does it not really matter because buyers will be less likely to choose it? I did also offer more traditional international shipping methods in the listings.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I have a Brooks Brothers blazer that doesn't have shoulder padding, but is lined and half-canvassed, made of a wool-alpaca blend...so it's not really fully unstructured like, say, a cotton or linen casual blazer would be. Would it still be referred to as "unstructured", or something else like semi-structured? Wondering how to describe it for eBay...

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If it were my listing, it would say....

Fully Lined, Half Canvassed Jacket with Natural Shoulder.

Though I tend to stay away from "Half Canvassed" unless it's a line I know is actually half canvassed, since it is impossible to know for sure unless you deconstruct the chest of the jacket.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Ahhhh - "natural shoulder"! That's the ticket - thanks!!

10. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

^^+1 like that "natural shoulder" idea^^
    Is there any e-bay market for tuxedo jackets without the pants and if you have sold one, did it sit around for a long time before selling? I have an older Zegna tux jacket that is pretty standard. No vents, single button front (thank you scavenger hunt).

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

It will sell.

I sold a few orphan tuxedo jackets without any problems.

if doing BIN/OBO just price accordingly to sell.

12. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Thanks for the input!

Thanks, Wes! I downloaded that too!

I never thought about that but that makes sense. TY

There's a way to do bulk editing. i did that for my listings that had GSP tied to it. I'd look into the help option

13. ejay1

ejay1 Senior member

Hello gents. I sold and shipped an item back on July 18 and today August 29 I received the package (unopened) at my door with a "return to sender" sticker.

Buyer never contacted me about any issues nor did he leave any feedback. His shipping address is a federal building in Washington DC and apparently the tracking shows some odd info:

Forwarded

August 10, 2013, 11:29 am DPO, AA

Missent

August 9, 2013, 11:29 am

Arrival at Post Office

July 21, 2013, 10:34 am

WASHINGTON, DC 20018

Depart USPS Sort Facility

July 20, 2013

WASHINGTON, DC 20018

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

July 20, 2013, 10:40 am

WASHINGTON, DC 20018

Depart USPS Sort Facility

July 20, 2013

WASHINGTON, DC 20066

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

July 20, 2013, 2:09 am

WASHINGTON, DC 20066

Electronic Shipping Info Received

July 18, 2013

I know refunding the buyer (less shipping cost) is the right thing to do since he doesn't have the goods he paid for- but some 40 days later, am I still obligated to? I contacted him earlier today and have yet to hear from him.

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Did Ebay recently make it easier for buyers not to pay for things they've committed to, or am I just having really bad luck right now?

I currently have six items "awaiting payment". Only one of them says that the payment is pending.

What gives? I've sent invoices to everyone except that one.

15. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Recently? I don't know about that...there is no real punishment for not paying for something until you do it repeatedly, at least the way i understand it. You can't leave negative feedback so the only people that ever know is EBAY. It's a BS system

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I just assumed it was recent because I haven't had this level of problem with non-paying buyers before.

17. OliT

OliT Senior member

I'm about to list a vintage RMFB Gore-tex jacket in size 38. I'm thinking it might attract some attention from Japan, any tips on getting the right crowd? I haven't sold much on Ebay, but I do have a little feedback, and I've been selling clothes at another auction site for a few years, so not new to the trade. I just want to get some input from the experts on a garment that I'm not really used to handling.
    I'll be shipping from Sweden, if it matters.

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I sold a Vintage RMFB Vest earlier this year.

Here's what you do.
    Clear, well thought out title. (do your research on the ones like it that sold the best)
    Lots of pictures. 12 at minimum, plus extras in the description.
    Honest description with detailed measurements
    Make sure you have it set to allow international bidders.

That brand will sell itself, so don't sell yourself short. Mine sold for about $700....to Japan.

19. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I'd probably wait 5 more days just to ensure you're in the clear. Message the buyer stating you're willing to reship the item if he pays for shipping again. If he requests his money back, send it back less shipping. If no response, I'd just move on...

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Loving that listing sale last night! I think I might even do a few 7 day listings on Sunday this week to take advantage of it a little more. That saved me over $100.