1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

2. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

4. suited

suited Senior member

Let's say you have a nice suit whose jacket could easily pass as a sport coat. The pants are damaged, maybe a small hole, but still wearable. Are you sometimes better off selling the jacket as a blazer and not including the pants at all? I think there's some merit in the idea that a suit that has damaged detailed in the auction could sell for less than the jacket itself, assuming the jacket is a pattern that makes for a nice blazer.

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I have seen suit listings that included damaged trousers (listed that way on purpose), with the intention that a buyer could attempt to have them repaired OR it would help them to find a very close/exact match fabric to have new trousers made.
    If it's a desirable suit, maybe look into the cost of having the pants repaired before you list it, if it won't be obvious.
    Or if you're like me, just list it as a sport coat if it could pass as such.

6. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

7. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Ummm that is not a jacket that can be used as a blazer. I don't think I have seen a blazer with pinstripes. I think you are getting bids because of the brand, $150 for Brioni is fairly cheap and is the exact problem he is talking about, getting less for a suit when there are damaged pants.

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You could just sell it as a jacket and ship the pants with it as a gift.

9. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

10. Jowen

Jowen Senior member

I need some advice on when to just not accept a return - here is my listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281143415065?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

and here is the message I got from the buyer: The Jean I purchased is trimmed at the cuffs. I do not want to buy a jean like this condition. Please help me return it ASAP. Thanks .

I responded that not only were the cuffs not trimmed, but they matched the overall distressing of the jeans - I know what dragged on the ground cuffs look like and these were not it. My question is at what point do you just put your foot down and not accept a return? I have a perfect feedback rating with 469 ratings, so 1 bad one won't kill me, but I like having the 100%. Would you offer a partial refund, accept a refund and hope to sell them again or just put your foot down and say you don't accept returns as the listing indicates?

Normally I accept returns even though I don't indicate it on my listings, but normally I don't sell items for $150! Thanks for the help!

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Don't know what to tell you (I think you're in the right), but damn are those jeans absolutely hideous.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

There is no photo of the cuffs to really see. But were they shortened and maybe you didn't notice? Usually you can't tell very well from the outside without turning them up at the cuff. Maybe that's what he means.

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You can kind of see it in the full shot. I think it was just part of the distressing, same as you see around the rear pockets. I have a pair of distressed jeans that has "tearing" around the cuffs. It's pretty easy to tell the difference when you look at it though, multiple shorter lengths of wear, rather than the entire rear of the leg opening falling apart.

14. Jowen

Jowen Senior member

Thanks for the replies - I don't think they were shortened and the distressing or wear (depending on how you view it) was strictly on the outside of the cuff and was even. I feel like when jeans are dragged on the ground because they are too long the wear will show on the outside as well as right inside the cuff and in my experience, it is typically uneven. I do wish I would have posted a close up of the cuffs though!

15. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I have to say, I don't know shit from dsquared, but looking at the hem in those pics, not that there's a close up on the hem, but I don't see the usual heavy stitching at the bottom you're used to seeing on denim. Like this:
    [​IMG]

Maybe the unorthodox way they make their jeans is throwing him off. I don't argue with returns anymore, I still, knock on wood, haven't had too bad abuse. Just put at least a 10% restocking fee on all your other returns and they will cover this occasional abuse by aholes, and you can provide excellent customer service to everyone else.
    edit- he's not arguing about wear, he's arguing that the jeans have been cut off at the bottom and resewn

If it helps, you can come here and talk shit about ahole customers, blow off some steam, we're all in the same boat here.

16. Jowen

Jowen Senior member

Haha - I think I will - I am always so nervous about anything that sells for over $50 - that seems to be the magic "buyer's remorse" number!

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Wait till you get to the point where you don't have the time/patience to sell anything UNDER $50... [​IMG]

In regards to your question though, I would take them back. IMO you have under a 30% shot of ebay siding with you anyway so you will prob have to take them back, give him the refund, org, shipping, return shipping, and get hit with a neg. if you make a big deal. I'd say, sorry they didnt work for you, please send them back to me at....... , make sure to use tracking and when they arrive I will issue you a refund for the purchase price.

Take some better pictures, add more info to the description or at lest space it out a little with some line breaks.

Quote:
    into

Runway Model Sprint 2005

Info
    • Extremely Rare Runway Model
    • 100% Authentic DSQUARED2 Distressed
    • Leather Trimmed Jeans
    • Made in Italy
    • Gold DSQUARED2 Buttons
    • Red Stitching Along Button Fly
    • Red Stitched Bird on Left Coin Pocket
    • Leather Belt on Front
    • DSQUARED2 Logo Across Back of Jeans
    • Quadruple Stitching on Seams and Pockets
    • Classic Straight Fit with Twisted Seams
    • Model 71MU001

Size
    • Italian Size 44, US Size 32 x 30
    • Waist - 16"?
    • Inseam - 30"?
    • Cuff Width at Opening - 8"
    • Front Rise - 10"?

18. Jowen

Jowen Senior member

Thanks! I think that is probably what I will do, but he hasn't responded back yet. I appreciate the advice on the listing layout as well! I am starting to get to the point where selling a shirt for $25 seems like a lot of work (I used to be thrilled) but still do it since those $50+ items are harder to come by.

19. chiron

chiron Senior member

from the deal sites

Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex 75$

Newegg (Free Ship) (no sales tax in most states)

10$ off 50$ for new users (NEWCUSTOMER08) = 65$

Amazon (Free Ship)

Toner TN450 (2600 Yield) can be found on amazon for 14 $.

Cost per print less then a cent... WoW [​IMG]

My cost to package an avg item .

Poly Bubble mailer (9X14) : .37c
    Poly mailer (9x12) : .05c
    Sticky shipping label : .08c
    Tissue paper : .02c
    Printing : .01c

Total : .53 cents

Not bad considering that I'm a part time seller. But, if you buy your supplies in bulk you can cut the packing cost to below .30 cents.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013