1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I just bought one of those... sitting in the box next to my front door where I left it... can report back after using it but probably too late for current sale (though it goes on sale at this price frequently from what I gather)

2. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

That printer looks perfect for labels only... debating picking it up myself.

WHY poly bubble mailers @ $0.37/each?? What do you use these to ship? I find USPS has everything you should need minus poly white bags for free.

3. chiron

chiron Senior member

I like bubbles? No, I felt it was useless putting a poly bag into another poly bag without padding. Plus the size of the mailers gives me a lot of flexibility in shipping many different sized items.

It works well for First Class and large priority mailings . For Flate Rate packages I use the non-bubble poly and a FR mailer.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

How to be a bit of a douche on eBay in 3 easy steps:
    1. Make an offer on a shirt (new with $165 retail tags) for $40.
    2. Receive my counter-offer of $50.
    3. Let it expire and make a lower offer of $37.50.

[​IMG]

/rant

5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I had a new pair of shoes listed at around €325. An Italian offered me €200 for them, including shipping. I declined saying that while I appreciated his offer, he'd need to get a bit closer to my asking price. I didn't hear back. Three weeks later, I put them on sale for €250 and receive an offer from him for €150, including shipping. I sent a response that said "You already offered €200 with shipping." He sent back an immediate response that said "€200 with shipping." I told him thanks anyway. I sold them this week with no hassle and he immediately sent me an email that said "Cancel your sale, send them to me, €250 + free shipping." I added him to my block list.

6. TheNeedMachine

"Cancel your sale..." that right there is an indication of someone being shady; I personally do not like it either, and would rather block a person than deal with them at all, even if they are offering me more money. My low-baller has been blocked as well. I'm not sure what people are thinking sometimes when they make offers - maybe they got lucky once and someone accepted 1/10th of their asking price and they're fishing around for deals. Supposed they cannot be blamed - I look for the best price as well - but when something is negotiable I try to be reasonable about it.

"How much is that BMW?"
    "$40,000 or best offer."
    "I'll give you $2,000 for it."
    " [​IMG] "

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Just ignore the offers or set up auto decline. I set up auto decline and it helps a ton so you don't have to get pissed at lowballs.

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Yeah, I won't cancel sales if someone offers more. I don't think it's right and if they were willing to spend that much, they should have gotten in when the item was available. I feel it creates pressure when I list something else they want.
    I don't do best offers, strictly buy it now. These are offers that people send me on buy it now items. If it's a fair price, I accept it, if it's a low-ball, I don't offer them something lower than buy it now, I just wait it out.

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Now that I have seen this, its tempting to look into, along with my All in 1 HP. As Brian said, may be good for a dedicated label print station only.

10. TheNeedMachine

I did have auto-decline set up (along with auto-accept), then had a repeat buyer who'd spent $500 on pens from me and he kept getting auto-declined on a different item...not knowing it was automatic, he got really pissed at me. I would have accepted his offer, already very happy with previous sales to him, and I didn't even know he was getting auto-declined. So I turned that off.

11. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I know that we already talked about the Global Shipping Program, but I'm posting this capture just to let American sellers know what it's like for international buyers. And I'm in Canada. This is another member's listing: $700 for the shoes, $30+ for shipping PLUS $240 in import fees. That's either eBay or eBay and everyone else squeezing buyers for fees that would never be charged if the item just shipped regular parcel post.

[​IMG]

12. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I have the auto set as a go-nogo accept at or above X, decline below X (both x's representing the same number) Although I have looked at the auto-rejected offers and seen people miss it by a dollar and thought.... damn I would've taken that. I can see how a regular customer would get pissed. I have also had people messaging me after 3 failed offers making a reasonable offer via messaging that I accepted.
    wow. I still have some older auctions that have the global shipping program on them, I have to hunt them down and get rid of it. That's terrible. As sellers is there a way to see what the buyer actually shelled out via GSP?

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

This is why I rarely respond anymore to offers I find unacceptable, because this rant could just as easily have come from the buyer. Think about it: In theory, a best offer is just that, the most the person is willing to pay. I get that's rarely how it really works, but if that really is what it is, countering it is just poking them in the eye.

"How much would you pay for my house? What's your BEST offer?"
    "100K"
    "Great. I will sell it to you for $125K"

See how that doesn't work? All it does is leave each party resentful and disappointed.

(Incidentally, $50 is a 25% increase over $40, and $125K is a 25% increase over $100K)

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

The only time I don't do that is if I'm trying to gauge what the market price should be. Sometimes I'll get lowball offers, which I decline; but sometimes I'll get reasonable offers. There's some entertainment value to it!

I once decided to sleep before accepting an offer ($2700 for a car listed at $3000). I woke up in the morning and the car was no longer listed. Someone had jumped on the BIN price!

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Almost...

It's more like having a house listed at $775,000 (sorry, had to switch the numbers to Bay Area pricing!) and receiving an offer of $250,000.

BINOBO should be translated as best reasonable offer. $250k is not a reasonable offer- but $720,000 might be. Also, competitive housing markets lead to aggressive buyers, you might get an offer of $800,000 if someone really wants the house.

16. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

In case anyone is wondering if the new guidelines will be a little more seller friendly, I actually got a negative feedback removed today under the new guidelines. Here's the awesome message the buyer sent me about a pre-owned tie:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN :
    ....STUNNIG REALLY!! ....I KNOW BRIONI IS AN EXCELLENT BRAND
    ....YOU DON'T NEED TO TELL ME THAT. YOU DESCRIBE THE ITEM AS WHAT IT IS.....BUT YOUUUUU DON'T TELL THE TO MUCH WEAR THAT THE TIE HAS HAD.
    ....YOUR PRETTY SLICK! YOU DON'T COME CLOSE TO OTHER EBAYERS THAT ARE HONEST AND EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHAT PEOPLE ARE BUYING.
    ....YOU'RE THE TYPE OF PERSON ( ...TRY NOT CALLING YOU ANOTHER THING.) THAT TAKES ADVANTAGE FROM PEOPLE.
    YOUR THE LOUSIEST EBAYER I HAVE COME ACROSS WITH.
    .....GREAT DAY EBAYER!!
    ...DON'T FORGET TO READ YOUR FEEDBACK!!

I got it removed since his only complaint was that is was worn, but I had marked it as pre-owned. I was stoked.

17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What was the feedback he left?

18. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

Just got a sport coat delivered bunched into an 8x8x6 Tampon box. Yeah....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a seller, I take a lot of pride in my packaging so this miffs me, but on the other hand I'm pretty lenient and have never dinged anyone with a neg or neutral before. Feel like this at least earns a neutral maybe....?

19. TheNeedMachine

I hate getting stuff all wadded up in a too-small box as well, and when I ship a SC I fold it very carefully, wrap in tissue, and ship in a long Priority medium box...that said, were you planning to wear it without having it dry cleaned? Aside from their poor packing skills, was there anything else "wrong" with the sale? If it were me, I wouldn't leave any feedback, but might contact the seller and suggest they search YouTube for "how to fold a sport coat."

20. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You mean regional rate A right? :nest: