• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best of luck on the return. I had to return a suit to them and I heard nothing for six days after it arrived (return had delivery confirmation). I was then told that their returns were quite busy "because the brand was becoming so popular" and that I would have my money in 48 hours or less. Three days later I sent an email sternly listing my concerns. Another day passed and I was tersely told that the refund had been sent a day and a half ago. The refund then came in with a timestamp fifteen minutes before the email was sent. No apology, no effort to retain my business, useless.
That, and their ads irritate me. That has nothing to do with suit quality, but it had to be said.

Oh well, sometimes that how it works. You gotta bit the bullet even though it sucks. I had a similar experience with Polo. I am going to be exchanging lots of items. Who knows what happens. I'll post on the experience. What suit did you get from SS? Blue, grey?

Harrydog

Reaction score
I have never seen a Suit Supply product in person, but I have to say I won't buy any suit that comes from the factory with working button cuffs. I think that feature is the biggest marketing BS going and says to me that they are aiming at a relatively uninformed market.

The right fit is key and I would think the majority of suits OTR would need some adjustment to sleeve length. Doing so on a suit with working cuffs would be quite an undertaking.

I see these companies as trying to ape the features of bespoke. It would be so much better fs they simply left the sleeves unfinished and let people get working button holes put in after the proper sleeve length was set. Of course, that could run about one third the cost of the suit!

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have never seen a Suit Supply product in person, but I have to say I won't buy any suit that comes from the factory with working button cuffs. I think that feature is the biggest marketing BS going and says to me that they are aiming at a relatively uninformed market.
The right fit is key and I would think the majority of suits OTR would need some adjustment to sleeve length. Doing so on a suit with working cuffs would be quite an undertaking.
I see these companies as trying to ape the features of bespoke. It would be so much better fs they simply left the sleeves unfinished and let people get working button holes put in after the proper sleeve length was set. Of course, that could run about one third the cost of the suit!

You are right with the working cuffs. However, you are also right about the suits being 1/3 of the cost. For a half-canvassed suit, VBC fabric 110 where can you really get a better deal? There are a few MTM programs out there such as Thick as Theives but they are basically using the same fabric, making the suit fully canvassed, for $50 more and no guarantee that the suit will fit.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that feature is the biggest marketing BS going and says to me that they are aiming at a relatively uninformed market.

Well, duh. If you were starting a company, are you going to cater to the 2,000 style forum members, or the 3 billion men in the world who might buy a suit and might have heard of this "bespoke" thing?

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have any new feedback?

rwaldron

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not so patriotic that I won't buy anything from China. It's rather insulting to insinuate that everything made in the US is superior to <insert country name>. This forum seems to be in love with WW Chan, and look what part of the world he/his workers are from...

With that being said, what would be the ranking of the following (in your own opinion) options in terms of quality in relation to price. I've assumed no sale prices on BB, only 2 for $XXX.

• Brooks Brother: Suiting Essentials $450 per suit
  • Brooks Brothers: 1818 Southwick $750 per suit
  • Brooks Brother: 1818 Lardini $750 per suit
  • Suit Supply: Purple Label $469 per suit
  • Suit Supply: Suit Up $639 per suit

I keep bring this up, because I've received a lot of feedback from folks asking this very same question.

Which Brooks do you go to? The 1818 suits at my Brooks are $1000. Otherwise that is what I would've been buying all along.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Unfortunately, working sleeve buttons on OTR suits have been gaining a lot of tailwind in the fashion industry for years now. I don't see the trend's dying down anytime soon. Suit Supply isn't the first OTR brand with working cuffs, and it won't be the last.

Fashion tends to evolve dialectically, though, and eventually there will be a backlash.

Last edited:

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are right with the working cuffs. However, you are also right about the suits being 1/3 of the cost. For a half-canvassed suit, VBC fabric 110 where can you really get a better deal? There are a few MTM programs out there such as Thick as Theives but they are basically using the same fabric, making the suit fully canvassed, for $50 more and no guarantee that the suit will fit.

And I dont think Thick as Thieves deals with anyone over a 42...so that alienates a whole other market. I am tall and athletically built.. 6"8 250lbs and would not qualify but can go to suit supply and get something half canvased that fits me well.. I went to the brook brothers store in San Fran and all the models I tried on where too big.. they did not have a milano available but all the fitzgerlad's in my size were too big in the mid section and somewhat in the shoulders.. maybe the milano would be a better fit..

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

And I dont think Thick as Thieves deals with anyone over a 42...so that alienates a whole other market. I am tall and athletically built.. 6"8 250lbs and would not qualify but can go to suit supply and get something half canvased that fits me well.. I went to the brook brothers store in San Fran and all the models I tried on where too big.. they did not have a milano available but all the fitzgerlad's in my size were too big in the mid section and somewhat in the shoulders.. maybe the milano would be a better fit..

Actually, you should try the Regent. Milano is the skinny man's suit. Fitz is for the average, but neither skinny nor big build. Regent is a more athletic cut, with broader shoulders and a bigger drop than the Fitz.

Admittedly, Brooks doesn't do a phenomenal job differentiating these cuts in its copy and marketing. It dexcribes each of them as "trimmer" cuts, but fails to qualify "trimmer" with a "than ____." (AFAIK, the Milano is the only style they go out of their way to qualify as their "slimmest" cut).

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, you should try the Regent. Milano is the skinny man's suit. Fitz is for the average, but neither skinny nor big build. Regent is a more athletic cut, with broader shoulders and a bigger drop than the Fitz.
Admittedly, Brooks doesn't do a phenomenal job differentiating these cuts in its copy and marketing. It dexcribes each of them as "trimmer" cuts, but fails to qualify "trimmer" with a "than ____." (AFAIK, the Milano is the only style they go out of their way to qualify as their "slimmest" cut).
It doesn't help that majority of their stores don't even carry Milano cuts. Its absurd. The flagship store nearby me has all the cuts and will have 1 or 2 sizes in Milano. If they had a larger selection I may be more tempted to buy a BB suit. Right now, I am waiting for the annual sale. The one thing about SS is there suits are on the verge of too trendy. I was considering the Sienna, however it has hacking pockets and a large large large lapel, I believe 3.25 inches.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't help that majority of their stores don't even carry Milano cuts. Its absurd. The flagship store nearby me has all the cuts and will have 1 or 2 sizes in Milano. If they had a larger selection I may be more tempted to buy a BB suit. Right now, I am waiting for the annual sale. The one thing about SS is there suits are on the verge of too trendy. I was considering the Sienna, however it has hacking pockets and a large large large lapel, I believe 3.25 inches.

3.25 on a lapel is not large...4 and over .. now we are talking. Preference wise... I like a higher gorge.. button placement really does not matter too me as long as its not too high (going toward your armpits), lol..I'm not really into ticket pockets but I have a couple suits that have them.. the Napoli is the only cut that I think fits me due to my broad shoulders (20.5 inches) and the Napoli is no where near trendy from what I've observed..

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3.25" lapel isn't trendy at all. My dislike of Brooks' fitz cut comes from it's just under 3" lapel, which is a bit trendy.

danilo

Reaction score
I visited the Suit Supply in NY a couple of days ago as I have a friend that works retail in SoHo that had stopped by and really liked their suits. One of the guys there was gracious enough to spend some time explain some of the fits for me and sized me up on their jackets, bringing the Napoli, Sienna, and Washington... the Washington and Sienna fit me pretty good off the rack. I have broad shoulders so they both had a softer shoulder which is more flattering for my build I think. The Washington was the slimmest fitting all around... I thought it was very nice. I thought the quality seemed good for the price, but I don't have much frame of reference as I don't have any 'nice' suits. They have some nice patterns and fabrics, with gorgeous colors.

I'll definitely be buying one or two soon...

Last edited:

baronbvp

Reaction score
First time poster, long time lurker. My biggest frustration with the Milano is that BB doesn't offer it in suit separates. I would try Suit Supply, but again they don't offer separates that fit me. In a perfect world, I wear a 43R jacket and 34S trouser, so separates are a must for me if I buy off the rack - hence my (boxy) JAB Signature Gold Separates.

I have OTR slim-fit fused suits from Macy's, the Alfani Red, and I like them. My Alfani Red fit is a 42R jacket (a little tight when I wash my hands) with a 33 flat-front trouser with a short rise. I tailored the cuffs on the jacket and pants and they fit very well. However, they are inexpensive suits made in India (and one in China) and they won't hold up over time, I don't think. So, I am going to take my best fitting Alfani Red to an MTM guy and get a quality fully-canvased suit that fits me like the suit I already own.

Has anyone else thought of doing something similar if BB and SS aren't quite offering what you need?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time poster, long time lurker. My biggest frustration with the Milano is that BB doesn't offer it in suit separates. I would try Suit Supply, but again they don't offer separates that fit me. In a perfect world, I wear a 43R jacket and 34S trouser, so separates are a must for me if I buy off the rack - hence my (boxy) JAB Signature Gold Separates.

I have OTR slim-fit fused suits from Macy's, the Alfani Red, and I like them. My Alfani Red fit is a 42R jacket (a little tight when I wash my hands) with a 33 flat-front trouser with a short rise. I tailored the cuffs on the jacket and pants and they fit very well. However, they are inexpensive suits made in India (and one in China) and they won't hold up over time, I don't think. So, I am going to take my best fitting Alfani Red to an MTM guy and get a quality fully-canvased suit that fits me like the suit I already own.

Has anyone else thought of doing something similar if BB and SS aren't quite offering what you need?
Wearing your best-fitting suit to an MTM place is a good idea. If you are near a Suit Supply, keep in mind that they do MTM also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads