1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers vs. Suit Supply

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnbond8459, Mar 27, 2012.

1. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I just got a Suit Supply suit, and I must say the construction is actually pretty similar to an 1818. I've only tried the SS suit on once. it's a purple line priced at $469 VBC fabric Super 110s. The suit appears to be half-canvased. I will have my tailor double check when I get the jacket taken in. I would say the price is better than BB let's see how the customer service ends up. I have to exchange the suit...

One thing I did NOT like about the SS suit (upon a quick evaluation) is that there is no pocket for pens on the inside... C'mon!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. o4hc

o4hc New Member

No inside pockets at all?

3. js4design

js4design Senior member

I've had the oldest one for about 2 years, 2 of them have been worn 3 times over 2 weeks on average and the others are more seasonal, but all of them look as good as the day i got them.

The 1818 Milano is half-canvassed, not fused.

4. dieselman89

Two interior large pockets, one by each breast and the lower pocket on the left side. No pocket to store pens next to the left chest pocket. I just looked over the inside again and was disappointed again when I didn't see the pen pocket haha. Overall, the interior is very simple and well put together. I was expecting something very taky, such as a large Suit Supply logo. Rather it's pretty quaint.

5. FLW

FLW Senior member

Best of luck on the return. I had to return a suit to them and I heard nothing for six days after it arrived (return had delivery confirmation). I was then told that their returns were quite busy "because the brand was becoming so popular" and that I would have my money in 48 hours or less. Three days later I sent an email sternly listing my concerns. Another day passed and I was tersely told that the refund had been sent a day and a half ago. The refund then came in with a timestamp fifteen minutes before the email was sent. No apology, no effort to retain my business, useless.

That, and their ads irritate me. That has nothing to do with suit quality, but it had to be said.

6. dieselman89

Oh well, sometimes that how it works. You gotta bit the bullet even though it sucks. I had a similar experience with Polo. I am going to be exchanging lots of items. Who knows what happens. I'll post on the experience. What suit did you get from SS? Blue, grey?

7. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

I have never seen a Suit Supply product in person, but I have to say I won't buy any suit that comes from the factory with working button cuffs. I think that feature is the biggest marketing BS going and says to me that they are aiming at a relatively uninformed market.

The right fit is key and I would think the majority of suits OTR would need some adjustment to sleeve length. Doing so on a suit with working cuffs would be quite an undertaking.

I see these companies as trying to ape the features of bespoke. It would be so much better fs they simply left the sleeves unfinished and let people get working button holes put in after the proper sleeve length was set. Of course, that could run about one third the cost of the suit!

8. dieselman89

You are right with the working cuffs. However, you are also right about the suits being 1/3 of the cost. For a half-canvassed suit, VBC fabric 110 where can you really get a better deal? There are a few MTM programs out there such as Thick as Theives but they are basically using the same fabric, making the suit fully canvassed, for $50 more and no guarantee that the suit will fit.

9. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Well, duh. If you were starting a company, are you going to cater to the 2,000 style forum members, or the 3 billion men in the world who might buy a suit and might have heard of this "bespoke" thing?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  10. dieselman89

anyone have any new feedback?

11. rwaldron

rwaldron Well-Known Member

Which Brooks do you go to? The 1818 suits at my Brooks are $1000. Otherwise that is what I would've been buying all along.

12. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

Unfortunately, working sleeve buttons on OTR suits have been gaining a lot of tailwind in the fashion industry for years now. I don't see the trend's dying down anytime soon. Suit Supply isn't the first OTR brand with working cuffs, and it won't be the last.

Fashion tends to evolve dialectically, though, and eventually there will be a backlash.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  13. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

And I dont think Thick as Thieves deals with anyone over a 42...so that alienates a whole other market. I am tall and athletically built.. 6"8 250lbs and would not qualify but can go to suit supply and get something half canvased that fits me well.. I went to the brook brothers store in San Fran and all the models I tried on where too big.. they did not have a milano available but all the fitzgerlad's in my size were too big in the mid section and somewhat in the shoulders.. maybe the milano would be a better fit..

14. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

Actually, you should try the Regent. Milano is the skinny man's suit. Fitz is for the average, but neither skinny nor big build. Regent is a more athletic cut, with broader shoulders and a bigger drop than the Fitz.

Admittedly, Brooks doesn't do a phenomenal job differentiating these cuts in its copy and marketing. It dexcribes each of them as "trimmer" cuts, but fails to qualify "trimmer" with a "than ____." (AFAIK, the Milano is the only style they go out of their way to qualify as their "slimmest" cut).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  15. dieselman89

It doesn't help that majority of their stores don't even carry Milano cuts. Its absurd. The flagship store nearby me has all the cuts and will have 1 or 2 sizes in Milano. If they had a larger selection I may be more tempted to buy a BB suit. Right now, I am waiting for the annual sale. The one thing about SS is there suits are on the verge of too trendy. I was considering the Sienna, however it has hacking pockets and a large large large lapel, I believe 3.25 inches.

16. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

3.25 on a lapel is not large...4 and over .. now we are talking. Preference wise... I like a higher gorge.. button placement really does not matter too me as long as its not too high (going toward your armpits), lol..I'm not really into ticket pockets but I have a couple suits that have them.. the Napoli is the only cut that I think fits me due to my broad shoulders (20.5 inches) and the Napoli is no where near trendy from what I've observed..

17. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

3.25" lapel isn't trendy at all. My dislike of Brooks' fitz cut comes from it's just under 3" lapel, which is a bit trendy.

18. danilo

danilo Senior member

I visited the Suit Supply in NY a couple of days ago as I have a friend that works retail in SoHo that had stopped by and really liked their suits. One of the guys there was gracious enough to spend some time explain some of the fits for me and sized me up on their jackets, bringing the Napoli, Sienna, and Washington... the Washington and Sienna fit me pretty good off the rack. I have broad shoulders so they both had a softer shoulder which is more flattering for my build I think. The Washington was the slimmest fitting all around... I thought it was very nice. I thought the quality seemed good for the price, but I don't have much frame of reference as I don't have any 'nice' suits. They have some nice patterns and fabrics, with gorgeous colors.

I'll definitely be buying one or two soon...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  19. baronbvp

baronbvp Member

First time poster, long time lurker. My biggest frustration with the Milano is that BB doesn't offer it in suit separates. I would try Suit Supply, but again they don't offer separates that fit me. In a perfect world, I wear a 43R jacket and 34S trouser, so separates are a must for me if I buy off the rack - hence my (boxy) JAB Signature Gold Separates.

I have OTR slim-fit fused suits from Macy's, the Alfani Red, and I like them. My Alfani Red fit is a 42R jacket (a little tight when I wash my hands) with a 33 flat-front trouser with a short rise. I tailored the cuffs on the jacket and pants and they fit very well. However, they are inexpensive suits made in India (and one in China) and they won't hold up over time, I don't think. So, I am going to take my best fitting Alfani Red to an MTM guy and get a quality fully-canvased suit that fits me like the suit I already own.

Has anyone else thought of doing something similar if BB and SS aren't quite offering what you need?

20. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Wearing your best-fitting suit to an MTM place is a good idea. If you are near a Suit Supply, keep in mind that they do MTM also.