Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brooks Brothers vs. Suit Supply

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnbond8459, Mar 27, 2012.

1. johnbond8459

johnbond8459 Active Member

Why don't you step down from your high horse for a minute and realize that it was a simple request. It's all opinion, and thus why I asked. I wanted to know peoples opinion on the subject. Judging by the 1,000+ pages views on the subject, I'd say others want to know the difference too.

This forum is a place for people to be educated on style, not a place to be ridiculed for asking a question. Sure, maybe my opinion about suits being, at a basic level, similar was not believed by all; but it's my opinion. I will whole heartedly agree there are differences between suits (e.g., Tom Ford vs. JAB), and those differences were what I was asking for since I was uneducated on the subject.

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

If the suit fits, looks good, is made well, and has nice fabric, the company could be called phatassbastard and I'd still buy the product. I know you are an RL fan. Is it really just the brand???

First you say its not about the cut, now you say you are asking about the differences (one of the primary being the cut).

which is it?

3. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

4. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Many thanks; helpful.

I just remembered the quote from Derek's article:

"Second, everything is either half- or fully-canvassed. Production takes place in Portugal, Italy, Mexico, and China. I don’t know anything about the last three factories, but I do know that the Portuguese factory manufacturers for a number of very high-quality lines. I can’t reveal other people’s sourcing, but I have confidence the the manufacturing there is quite good given who else the factory serves."

5. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

So what are the thought on the BB 1818 Milano on a scale of 1-10? This thread has made me reconsider buying an 1818 suit.

6. js4design

js4design Senior member

In my experience they're up there - I have four and I'm a big fan of their soft shoulder. With a little waist suppression they fit me well, and do a good job of skirting the line between stylish and business appropriate.

7. dieselman89

How long have you had your suits? (months,years) and how often do you wear the suits?

8. dieselman89

Has anyone had a suit supply suit for over a year? 6 month? How have the suits held up? I just found out about this company and I am debating waiting for the next BB sale when suits drop to the $600 range, Kent Wang now offers a suit at $650 or a Suit Supply suit at $400, purple line.

9. Vento95

Vento95 Member

I'm currently debating these choices, except throw in ehaberdasher's suits as well.

10. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

Is 1818 Milano actually half-canvassed? There's a conspicuous absence of the phrase "half-canvas construction" on descriptions of Milano suits and SCs on the Brooks Bros website. (Such a phrase usually appears on Fitzgerald model descriptions, for instance, which leads me to think that those without the description are fused.)

11. dieselman89

I just got a Suit Supply suit, and I must say the construction is actually pretty similar to an 1818. I've only tried the SS suit on once. it's a purple line priced at $469 VBC fabric Super 110s. The suit appears to be half-canvased. I will have my tailor double check when I get the jacket taken in. I would say the price is better than BB let's see how the customer service ends up. I have to exchange the suit...

One thing I did NOT like about the SS suit (upon a quick evaluation) is that there is no pocket for pens on the inside... C'mon!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

12. o4hc

o4hc New Member

No inside pockets at all?

13. js4design

js4design Senior member

I've had the oldest one for about 2 years, 2 of them have been worn 3 times over 2 weeks on average and the others are more seasonal, but all of them look as good as the day i got them.

The 1818 Milano is half-canvassed, not fused.

14. dieselman89

Two interior large pockets, one by each breast and the lower pocket on the left side. No pocket to store pens next to the left chest pocket. I just looked over the inside again and was disappointed again when I didn't see the pen pocket haha. Overall, the interior is very simple and well put together. I was expecting something very taky, such as a large Suit Supply logo. Rather it's pretty quaint.

15. FLW

FLW Senior member

Best of luck on the return. I had to return a suit to them and I heard nothing for six days after it arrived (return had delivery confirmation). I was then told that their returns were quite busy "because the brand was becoming so popular" and that I would have my money in 48 hours or less. Three days later I sent an email sternly listing my concerns. Another day passed and I was tersely told that the refund had been sent a day and a half ago. The refund then came in with a timestamp fifteen minutes before the email was sent. No apology, no effort to retain my business, useless.

That, and their ads irritate me. That has nothing to do with suit quality, but it had to be said.