• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's Galway responses! I don't want to be convinced to like it---I just wanted to understand what others see in it.

If I show you a picture of a beautiful woman, that you do not happen to find beautiful, I'm not sure how I would make you understand WHY I find her beautiful - we are looking at the same picture, after all.

It's not that I'm right and you're wrong. It's not that I understand something that you don't. It's that my aesthetic preferences are different from yours. I can't really understand why you DON'T find the Galway to be a fantastic design. Other than my general understanding that different people like different things.

I see beauty below. If you don't, that's okay. But I can't help you see it.

orig.jpg

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

If I show you a picture of a beautiful woman, that you do not happen to find beautiful, I'm not sure how I would make you understand WHY I find her beautiful - we are looking at the same picture, after all.

It's not that I'm right and you're wrong.  It's not that I understand something that you don't.  It's that my aesthetic preferences are different from yours.  I can't really understand why you DON'T find the Galway to be a fantastic design.  Other than my general understanding that different people like different things.

I see beauty below.  If you don't, that's okay.  But I can't help you see it.

orig.jpg

Thanks, Rog. That's what I wanted to say, but couldn't form a coherent sentence.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am stunned again by these pictures and feeling more impatient to receive my MTO. I fell in love with the Galway the first time I saw it.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's Galway responses! I don't want to be convinced to like it---I just wanted to understand what others see in it.

The Galway is great design for a boot in my opinion.

The Galway is an extremely versatile boot.

One can get it in a number of different Lasts (Shapes) all of which change the very nature of the boot. It can be very casual in the 82, and 202 Lasts, but very rugged in the 64 Last.

The Galway works just as well with a sport coat and dress pants as it does with jeans.

One can get it in any number of different leathers there again changing the very look and use of the boot.

Very few boots look so good in more than one leather and texture, the Galway does. I like boots with more than just one texture and color.

In regards to finishing Edward Green does a marvelous job, and frankly I like the darkened toe.

DOAK is also a great color if done correctly, it has character.

The Leathers Edward Green use are better than most shoemakers which cost less, and I like the better leathers and Suede.

Hmm, I think I hit the high points.

Last edited:

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody rhapsodize/rationalize their love of the Galway for me? The design has always struck me as a bit too precious, particularly the "bat wing"—and the fact that they're so frequently made up in contrasting leathers. All that despite NAMOR's digging pic... I just want to understand.

I don't get the love for galways either, to be honest. For the same reasons you mention, I don't like the "seagull" line on the side (I think I'd like it better if it was just a straight line) and I don't like boots/shoes in two types/colours of leather either.

BUT I understand that if someone likes contrasting leathers, galway is a good design for that, since it's got like a line pretty much in the middle that separates top half and bottom half and combinations are endless.

So not hating or anything, I just don't understand why are so popular. But anyway, I also don't understand why some things on the SWD part of the forum are so loved, like Margiela GAT sneakers. Who cares. :)

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Galway is great design for a boot in my opinion. The Galway is an extremely versatile boot. One can get it in a number of different Lasts (Shapes) all of which change the very nature of the boot. It can be very casual in the 82, and 202 Lasts, but very rugged in the 64 Last. The Galway works just as well with a sport coat and dress pants as it does with jeans. One can get it in any number of different leathers there again changing the very look and use of the boot. Very few boots look so good in more than one leather and texture, the Galway does. I like boots with more than just one texture and color. In regards to finishing Edward Green does a marvelous job, and frankly I like the darkened toe. DOAK is also a great color if done correctly, it has character. The Leathers Edward Green use are better than most shoemakers which cost less, and I like the better leathers and Suede. Hmm, I think I hit the high points.
I agree, the Galway is a very versatile boot.... But my favourite boot is the Shannon:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What boot is the one with the lighter brown suede (far right in the 2nd pic from bottom)? I like the way the line between suede and calf dips down and then back up again like the Vass OEII.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What boot is the one with the lighter brown suede (far right in the 2nd pic from bottom)? I like the way the line between suede and calf dips down and then back up again like the Vass OEII.

They are the Shannon VIII in black calf/tobacco suede, on B1 sole.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RogerP that pic of your DOAK made me break out the credit card at Skoak a few months ago. Great pic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads