Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

Gracias amigo. Feels great to wear them!

2. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Carmina boots are specially beautiful.

Impresionante colección Jazzmenco!!

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Great looking pair of boots.

4. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

Gracias amigo

thank you kindly

5. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

6. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

[​IMG]

Here's a quick photo (yes, I like black boots.)

From the top row to bottom, left to right: Vass, Barker Black, Enzo Bonafe, C&J, Zegna Couture, Meccariello, Max Verre

7. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

It's almost the end of boot season as it's about to hit 80 degrees this weekend in NYC. Doesn't keep me from being excited about these (cross post from the Carmina and Unipair thread)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Those Carminas look great. I'm not a huge austerity fan in general, but I would actually rock those.

On that note, boot season only ends when you want it to! [​IMG]

While I probably won't break out the tan dublin Long Branches again until the fall (they're on the mini lug sole with fat red boot laces, etc.), I will definitely keep wearing my walnut shell Daltons, oxblood calf First Avenues, navy shell Dundees, and dark chili Bleecker Streets all throughout the summer.

I find that chukkas are pretty easy to wear in summer, but even the taller boots aren't too bad, especially the walnut shell Daltons, since they're unlined.

9. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

This is probably a controversial question, but let's say for example, i love the aesthetic of the EG Galway boots.

But i find that StC gives better value for the same price. Hand welted, lasted trees, etc.

So would it be a bad idea to get a DOAK calf/walnut cc made up by SC?

Or is the Galway really on a class of its own?

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

When I got my St. C. boots I wondered if my not dissimilar pair of Galways might end up gathering dust. They sure haven't. In fact, if I had to pick a single overall fave pair of boots, it would be my doak / walnut CC Galways. The technical superiority of hand welting has very little practical impact in the real world.

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I have to admit that when it comes to making a decision whether to purchase another shoe or boot the fact as to whether it is hand lasted or GYW has never been a concern or a criteria for me. I've yet to find any evidence that would deter me from buying a GYW pair of shoes or boots. One may read that gemming could occur, but there isn't any evidence that suggest that occurs often enough that it is a concern for me. I also have yet to find anything that would suggest that hand lasting somehow improves the life of, the wear of, or the fit of the shoe.

Typically my concerns are whether or not I find the shoe or boot aesthetically attractive to me, whether or not it's something I would find myself wearing based on my wardrobe and my lifestyle. Once it catches my eye then I also try to determine whether or not this is something that will fit my feet which is extremely important. Whether or not the shoemaker is known for using quality products, quality construction, and delivering a mostly error free product.

I also have a pair of boots from both shoemakers, 4 Galways and one pair of boots from St. Crispins. I would have to say both St Crispins and EG where at the top of my list shortly after I started purchasing fairly nice boots. The desire or importance of getting these where something I felt based on what I had seen and read prior to getting them. Neither has failed to be special for me and both are fabulous boots in my opinion.The importance or special attributes that either might have for you maybe entirely different and if neither are special for you in some sort of way then you might as well just purchase a pair of $50 boots at your local discount shoe mart down the road.

12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

QFT!!

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I honestly don't think you'll be giving up much by going with the Galway over a StC version.

For me as far as looks....The Galway is in a class of it's own. I could, but I would never replace my Galway with a version from any other maker.

14. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

I always considered myself more of a shoe guy, but recently find myself purchasing more boots. I noticed today that I have 7 MTO/pre-orders currently outstanding, and the majority of those are for boots.... :puzzled:

15. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

The thing with a boot is there's just much more to Luv.[​IMG]