• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best dressed sales people

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While strolling through BH yesterday I stopped in Anto's to peruse shirt fabrics. For a business that caters to the fastidiously attired, and makes bespoke shirts, I was totally underwhelmed by the attire of the salesman on duty. It got me to wondering if even the houses of bespoke-wear and high fashion have surrendered to the "casual" culture. I found myself asking: would you buy a shirt from this man?

Where must one go to find well dressed sales staff who uphold the virtues of elegant dress, and with whom you feel comfortable discussing matters of style and construction? Who/where are your favorites?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart, Borrelli NY, Vacca, Brioni & Kiton sections at BG. I agree with you they need to dress the part.

drake

Reaction score
I'v seen some well dressed guys at Ralph Lauren in Palo Alto, not all of them but some of the colleges aged guys are pretty spiffily dressed in Greens + PL outfits. Hahha, you think that those sleazy used car salesmen that drop to there knees at the mention of RTW Italian makers are well dressed? Hahhah, well, I expect as much from you. Anything Italian has the be the best right?
Originally Posted by iammatt
Wilkes Bashford.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Avery Lucas.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen some salespeople who would be better working--judging by their attire--at a JC Penny. Usually it's the shoes that are the most horrible.

The most flagrant examples are mostly to be found in the designer type stores and some of the high-end department stores.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
I'v seen some well dressed guys at Ralph Lauren in Palo Alto, not all of them but some of the colleges aged guys are pretty spiffily dressed in Greens + PL outfits. Hahha, you think that those sleazy used car salesmen that drop to there knees at the mention of RTW Italian makers are well dressed? Hahhah, well, I expect as much from you. Anything Italian has the be the best right?
No, I think that they combine colors and patterns nicely. I haven't been in the shop in years, so perhaps things have changed. The Borrelli salesforce is more what you describe. The Stanford Polo Store sucks. I don't know about the people who work there. The whole mall is kind of crappy if you ask me. BTW, I think that you are confusing my love of RTW Italian clothes with somebody elses.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The Stanford Polo Store sucks ... The whole mall is kind of crappy if you ask me.
Indeed.

JordanB

Reaction score
Polo salesmen tend to be well dressed.

Query: it seems to me that many salesmen likely can't afford the garments that they're selling. For instance, I'm guessing that even the best paid Bergdorf salesman can't make more than $100K. (I really have no idea what they make--this is a total guess.) It would be hard to build a wardrobe of Kiton on that (it might even be foolhardy on 5 times that). Do the salesmen get steep discounts? Do they spend a disproportionate amount on clothing? Do they wear cheaper brands?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Stanford Polo store is pure trompe-l'oeil--how can a suburban mall have an ivy-covered Neoclassical mansion façade?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanB
Polo salesmen tend to be well dressed.

Query: it seems to me that many salesmen likely can't afford the garments that they're selling. For instance, I'm guessing that even the best paid Bergdorf salesman can't make more than $100K. (I really have no idea what they make--this is a total guess.) It would be hard to build a wardrobe of Kiton on that (it might even be foolhardy on 5 times that). Do the salesmen get steep discounts? Do they spend a disproportionate amount on clothing? Do they wear cheaper brands?

I understand some of the top salespeople can make a very high income.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Stanford Polo store is pure trompe-l'oeil--how can a suburban mall have an ivy-covered Neoclassical mansion façade?
How very trad. Let's just pretend...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The shoppers there probably live in such houses.
Most of that area is pretty hilariuos when it comes to pretense. I should know, I grew up there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads