• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best dressed sales people

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This post is equally delicious.
It would have to make sense to be delicious, though, wouldn't it?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Once again, I make an unforced error.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I know Nordy's is not some high end shop but the girls generally dress pretty nice there.

This is definitely true. In this regard, Nordy's serves as a kind of finishing school for girls from all socio-economic and ethnic groups. A great equalizer and plump talent pool. BH is also chock full o'honeys; great place to have cocktails and watch the T&A parade.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Assuming that the salespeople at these stores don't make nearly as much money as their clientelle, yet are expected to look as good as them, how do you figure they have access to their high end clothing? Super steep discounts from the departments they work in? Are they required do you think to wear what they sell, at least in the higher end stores?
Doesn't Polo, for example, give a 70% employee discount? I vaguely remember a guy at the Mansion telling me this during the November 2005 sale. He was waiting for dark brown Mackays.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Doesn't Polo, for example, give a 70% employee discount?

even Todd??
devil.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
While strolling through BH yesterday I stopped in Anto's to peruse shirt fabrics. For a business that caters to the fastidiously attired, and makes bespoke shirts, I was totally underwhelmed by the attire of the salesman on duty. It got me to wondering if even the houses of bespoke-wear and high fashion have surrendered to the "casual" culture. I found myself asking: would you buy a shirt from this man?

You probably met one of the two Sepetjian brothers, one of which will be your cutter and fitter if you get a shirt made there. They definitely dress in business casual mode, but have very elegant accessories. If how your bespoke maker dresses is important to you, you don't want to see shoemakers in their natural habitat.

--Andre

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
great place to have cocktails and watch the T&A parade.
I don't care if they host a circus, I'm not buying any more of their shirts.
tounge.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It strikes me as slightly opressive to provide employees with discounts and then "encourage" them to buy from the store. Why not give them a yearly allowance?

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I don't care if they host a circus, I'm not buying any more of their shirts.
tounge.gif

Who's? (that particular comment was referring, generally, to the parade of beauties who inhabit/work in Beverly Hills)

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've seen some salespeople who would be better working--judging by their attire--at a JC Penny.

There are two people who work at the men's suit department of JC Penny's where I live...One is an ex-ceo of multiple multi million dollar companies who has to stay at home due to illnesses in his family and the other is also a recently retired business man who just wishes to relax and help out the clueless. Both are immaculately dressed. As a matter of fact, at a regional Penny's meeting, over half of the salespeople were in their aging years and incredibly dapper. The other half was terrible, but half and half is better than I can say for most stores I've been to. Although Penny's has slipped to ****, it's amazing to see the brand loyalty these people have...

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
It strikes me as slightly opressive to provide employees with discounts and then "encourage" them to buy from the store. Why not give them a yearly allowance?

That would end up being taxable to the employee. It might be the same effect to give a 70% discount.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads