• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

kayhill

Reaction score
Quick question, please what are these tops called? - http://pinterest.com/pin/358458451561967668/
I'd be very much interested in getting some of these, but I don't know what to search for. Thanks!

As in the coat (or overcoat)? Or are you looking for advice on what type of coat it is?

For me, these days they're just generically referred to as coats. You might want to search for a 'single breasted' coat if that's the style you're looking for - the coat in the picture is single breasted.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Quick question about Lee and Levis denim jackets...Lee Europe has the Rider...how does it compare to the U.S. Levis trucker jacket? I know both of them, the Lee in particular, are classics, but is the Lee version worth the eighty or do extra dollars? Thanks.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hello, I am getting married in a couple of weeks and will be wearing a tuxedo (it's an evening wedding). I am slim and my tuxedo is altered to fit beautifully (it's a shawl collar) and my shirt is made to measure. The final detail is studs for the shirt: I was thinking classic black onyx tuxedo studs; the salesman suggested that square studs would work better with the overall slim-fit nature of the outfit. Does this ring true?

Sounds like he's trying to sell you something.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

after wool, are flannel or tweed pants more formal (all other things being equal)?

Flannel and tweed pants are made out of wool, or other materials pretending to be wool (but for now, we're going to pretend polyester doesn't exist). Wool is a material, flannel and tweed are fabrics made from that material, and are distinguished by weave. Just as khakis and jeans are both cotton pants.

As for the question you were trying to ask, flannel would be more formal than tweed, other factors being equal. The smoother the texture, the more formal, and tweed is just about as rough as it's possible to get.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Flannel and tweed pants are made out of wool, or other materials pretending to be wool (but for now, we're going to pretend polyester doesn't exist). Wool is a material, flannel and tweed are fabrics made from that material, and are distinguished by weave. Just as khakis and jeans are both cotton pants.

As for the question you were trying to ask, flannel would be more formal than tweed, other factors being equal. The smoother the texture, the more formal, and tweed is just about as rough as it's possible to get.

Sorry about the wording (I wasn't sure how to ask it) thanks for the answer!

IrIr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of dark brown double monk straps. Price range is $2-300, I live in Manhattan.

I've been looking at Meermin, but a little hesitant to buy import something I haven't tried on. Any other recs?

N3RVE

Reaction score
As in the coat (or overcoat)? Or are you looking for advice on what type of coat it is?

For me, these days they're just generically referred to as coats. You might want to search for a 'single breasted' coat if that's the style you're looking for - the coat in the picture is single breasted.

Thank you, Kayhill. That's what I needed. "Overcoat".

kevinwang1219

Reaction score
I've been really following a lot of forums regarding suits and style, but now I think I made a bad decision. I am 23 years old with a banker position, so I need suits on a daily basis. People say that Jos. Bank suits don't last and have a VERY boxy look. I am 6'0, 190 lbs with an athletic build and broad shoulders. In my opinion, my shoulders look extremely big with the new suits I just purchased, but my mom and gf said I am just paranoid.

I got the deal where it is 70% off and if you buy 3, you get 1 for free. I thought that was a great deal and since I need a suit 5 days out of the week, and 4 suits seem really appealing. But like with every suit I need it altered and can imagine each suit costing around 110 to 150 in alterations. I can stick a lot more than a fist in my jacket.

I just want to know my options. I just spent 900 dollars on 4 suits but I really don't like the boxy look and can still return them since i didn't do any alterations to them. I just bought it today and am regretting my decision. I have 1 suit in my closet from high school that I can still wear for now because I start the job tomorrow, but I would like opinions on the route to go.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just want to know my options.  I just spent 900 dollars on 4 suits but I really don't like the boxy look and can still return them since i didn't do any alterations to them.  I just bought it today and am regretting my decision.  I have 1 suit in my closet from high school that I can still wear for now because I start the job tomorrow, but I would like opinions on the route to go.

If it were me, I would return my 4 JAB suits, take my $900 and get 2 Suitsupply suits or wait for a good Brooks Brothers sale and get a few 1818 suits. If you get a solid navy and a solid charcoal that will tide you over until you can afford more variety.

kevinwang1219

Reaction score
i was looking at suitsupply's website and they don't offer all black suits and i need black suits working at chase.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i was looking at suitsupply's website and they don't offer all black suits and i need black suits working at chase.

Do they explicitly say black? Because in most environments, navy and charcoal are more appropriate.

If you're indeed only wearing black, you don't need 5 suits. You need 2. You don't have to clean wool nearly as often as you have to clean cotton. It has some nice properties, that I won't go into now, that make it unnecessary. Barring spills or really dramatic sweat incidents, you may never need to clean them. Some moderate rotation does help preserve them, hence having two.

I would go to JAB looking for an exchange first. They have tailored and slim cuts. Still pretty boxy compared to most, but one of them may suit you better. If you can get a fit, JAB actually does offer pretty decent quality for the money. The issue with them is that they size things to fit clueless fat people who think they're still the same size they wore in high school and don't want to admit to themselves that they've ballooned. Failing that, 2 suit supply or Brooks Brothers suits, especially if you're only going to be wearing one color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads