1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Senior member

I'm probably a little too hung up on this, but is it kosher to wear dark brown shoes and leathers in the summer? In previous years I've always switched to tan, walnut and such shades when it gets hot out (enough to go without a jacket; has always been my rule anyway).

However, this year I feel the need to dress more conservatively (for the first time really) - partly professional though not strictly; probably because the older I get the more conservative I seem to dress anyhow. I still wear lighter pastel shirting in linen and seersucker and the like, and lighter colored cotton or linen trousers, and after holding onto the brown shoes all the way up until now I don't think it looks off. Tan just seems a little too loud or "look at my shoes" to me, and I don't like the shoes to be the focus of my fits.

Anyone wear dark brown shoes year round? I'm certainly holding on to all of the tan in my collection, just in case...

2. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Yep, nothing wrong with dark brown shoes year round. I don't have much in the way of tan, but my lighter loafers pretty much only see spring/summer wear.

3. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

Helmut Lang shirt... Any advise on sizing? I am under the impression it fits a bit large, am I right?

4. realizment

realizment Member

I was looking at adding a stylish lapel pin or flower with a jacket I got recently as it was modeled with one and it looked nice.

I am just wondering what are the rules, are you not supposed to wear certain things while wearing one, what are you supposed to match it with if anything etc? Whats the down low on lapel pin fashion lol

5. ThunderJack23

ThunderJack23 Active Member

can i wear these shoes with shirt?[​IMG]

6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I would recommend it.

2 people like this.
  7. ThunderJack23

it is kinda risky i think.. but dont you think it gives you a more sporty look? @Koala-T

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  8. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Wearing shoes with a shirt is never risky unless you fail to wear pants.

2 people like this.
  9. ThunderJack23

i dont have problems with the pants not at all! anyway thank you very much for your help @Koala-T

10. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Does anyone know where to buy a silver cuff bracelet for under $100?

11. ThunderJack23

look at asos

12. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

don't overdo the accessories. I think you would forego a pocket square or tie bar if doing a lapel pin. Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

13. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Hi guys,

With sale season here, I was hoping to buy a briefcase for work - requirements:

* Can hold my 13" laptop and some documents, but otherwise slim (I don't need a thick messenger-like briefcase).
    * Willing to consider both leather and canvas, slightly prefer the former.
    * I wear a suit (usually navy) Monday to Thursday, and business casual (blazer + chinos) on Fridays.
    * I would use a briefcase only for client meetings where laptop is required. Otherwise I don't carry enough stuff daily to justify a briefcase, would use a pouch instead.
    * My budget is about USD400-700 (linked to above point, i.e. this is an occasional bag).

Two options I've been considering are the Mismo Morris leather and the Mismo Soft Work briefcases.

1) Any general comments on Mismo briefcases, if anyone has any experiences with them?

2) Any other recommendations from other brands?

Thanks!

Mismo Morris (in grey leather)

[​IMG]

Mismo soft work (probably in khaki or black)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  14. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

15. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

I saw this suit off eBay, a Hardy Amies but the price seems surprisingly low. The seller told me that there is no fault / stain on it. Considering there is a no return policy, I am a bit reluctant. I can see something odd by the left shoulder (front side) by the armpit on the first picture, and again slightly on top of the leg pocket of the trousers.
    Link :
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181792675495&globalID=EBAY-GB

Thanks for your help

16. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

I can see that the other suits he has on sale are similarly priced. Maybe he doen't know/care about their value and wants to make a quick buck.
    He seems to have good feedback but be cautious. Personally, I've never bought clothes online because I'm paranoid about fit/defects/fakes or scams - most of my wardrobe is thrifted, but I can try an item on, inspect it at length, etc. But ebay can be good if you're careful because you don't need to dig through lots of stuff to find something nice.
    What I can tell from the pics, there's some loose fibers near the shoulder and belt loop above the trouser pocket. Might be something else, however

17. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Thanks for your help !
    I asked him about those apparent loose fivers and he told me not to see anything. I will pass then since there is no return possible.

18. dragos25

dragos25 Senior member

Ask him to take better, detailed photos of those areas.
    Lots of ebay sellers don't do returns, but it doesn't necessarily mean something bad. Just be overly cautious

19. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Thanks again, I just did as adviced
    The 'no-return' policy is not great for items like this.

20. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Which shoe polish should I buy, and what is the best technique for polishing shoes?