• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

sean anon

Reaction score
Is light weight flannel an oxymoron?

I want to get some woolen pants that are not worsted and which have some texture (because it looks better to me and also more casual-I love cords and oxford cloth for the same reasons). I have it in my mind that I really want flannels but I sit in an office all day in temperate San Francisco. Honestly I have some tweed pants on the lighter side for tweed and they wear pretty warm when temps are in the 60's

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
My.Suit or Suitsupply is what I'm hearing. Which one would you guys suggest for a custom suit in Manhattan?

teddyc4

Reaction score
Love RLBL Black Label's slim cut, sharp shoulders, and not overly skinny lapels. Can you recommend anything comparable, preferably at lower price point? J Crew Ludlow comes close, but I fear the lapels won't work with average ties (3.5 inches or so).

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Love RLBL Black Label's slim cut, sharp shoulders, and not overly skinny lapels. Can you recommend anything comparable, preferably at lower price point? J Crew Ludlow comes close, but I fear the lapels won't work with average ties (3.5 inches or so).

My first suit was RLBL and if you can work it then I would suggest Zegna Milano or Zegna Torino (tad bit slimmer than Milano and RLBL). But I see that you are looking for something cheaper so I guess I am not really helping. But just to let you know.

kib0913

Reaction score
My quick question;

Should I wear light colors on overcast/cloudy days? For some reason it doesn't feel right.

samuraishot

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'd like a nice pair of jeans that I could wear with a pair of OSB Navy Trail Oxfords with Vibram soles. Any suggestions?

Edit: Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

GamaH

Reaction score
Any recommendations as to where to purchase good dress belts for skinny men? As in, I'd get Brooks Brothers, EGs or one of the trad staples, but with a 27" waistline, most of the belts I've come across won't fit.

teddyc4

Reaction score

My first suit was RLBL and if you can work it then I would suggest Zegna Milano or Zegna Torino (tad bit slimmer than Milano and RLBL). But I see that you are looking for something cheaper so I guess I am not really helping. But just to let you know.

Thanks, Rudals. To be honest I can't stomach either at retail but I'll be scanning for both on eBay and B&S

Septimus

Reaction score

Any recommendations as to where to purchase good dress belts for skinny men? As in, I'd get Brooks Brothers, EGs or one of the trad staples, but with a 27" waistline, most of the belts I've come across won't fit.

It's easy to make belts shorter, just not longer...

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying on a suit with which I fell in love. While the tailor was pinning me up I was playing around with the inside pocket checking out the tag, etc. and one of the pins on my sleeve pricked the inside (interior) of the jacket just behind the lapel. It made two tiny pulls in the fabric, which are almost invisible to the naked eye, likely because of the dark fabric. I mentioned it to the tailor and they thought I was talking about a slight wrinkle, which could be pressed out.

Anyway, I left it pinned and declined purchasing right away. I feel bad, and I am imagine since it's the interior not many people would notice, but am I being obsessive (i have a streak) or do these things happen and I should get the suit I want, or should I walk away....

What do you think?

Last edited:

robertjw25

Reaction score
Hello, I am getting married in a couple of weeks and will be wearing a tuxedo (it's an evening wedding). I am slim and my tuxedo is altered to fit beautifully (it's a shawl collar) and my shirt is made to measure. The final detail is studs for the shirt: I was thinking classic black onyx tuxedo studs; the salesman suggested that square studs would work better with the overall slim-fit nature of the outfit. Does this ring true?

Stoner

Reaction score
Good afternoon all.....new member to SF, although I've been a reader for some time.

Couple quick questions re: Borrelli dress shirts Sizing/Fit....I'm considering buying one or two online and I've noticed that sleeve length is not consistent with neck size from shirt to shirt, ie. some 18s indicate 37 sleeves, some 18s indicate 36 sleeves....does anyone know if these sizes differences indicate actual sleeve size, or am I simply seeing inconsistencies due to whoever is providing the info online.

Also, I typically wear 18/36, regular cut...can sometimes wear a slimmer cut....any idea which sizing would be best in a Borrelli dress shirt?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[quoteWhat do you think?

1. I think that the flaws are inside the pocket and nearly invisible to the naked eye, and so not really sufficient to cause me to pass on a suit which I otherwise loved.

2. I think that since by your own admission you caused the flaws - due to your playing around with the inside of the pocket, while you knew you had pins on your sleeve - you ought to buy the suit.

Otherwise, it's like going into an art gallery, and saying you'll buy a particular painting. Then, while the painting is being packed up, you cause some trivial damage to it, and decide that since the painting is now damaged you've changed your mind and no longer wish to buy it.

You break it, you buy it. And yeah, the "breakage" in this case may be minor, but it is enough to cause a potential purchaser (namely, you) to decide not to buy the suit. So clearly it is of at least some significance, to some potential purchasers.

At the very least, you should explain to the seller exactly what you did, and offer financial compensation for the damage. But the better solution is to simply buy the suit. It's the easiest way to spare the seller any financial loss or inconvenience, and you'll be getting a suit which you loved before you caused some all-but-undetectable damage to it.

And maybe this will help you get over your psychological issues with "flawlessness." semi :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads