1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

I'm about to go on a what is essentially q backpacking trip around the world. But I'm attending a wedding while away. Would it be particularly bad for my suit if I pack it in my bag with everything else and just have it pressed before the wedding and pressed again when I get back home?ie will the structure of the jacket be ruined by stuffing it in a backpack for a month?

2. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

Why not have it shipped?

2 people like this.
  3. bookbrother

bookbrother Member

Wanted to follow up on another poster's Howard Yount question... what happened? Site is still up and running but should I avoid ordering from there for now?

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It'll be fine if you do that. I'd pack it in a protective garment bag to protect from the other stuff in your pack staining or tearing it just in case, but shipping is also an idea, especially given the extra weight.

5. JPK123

JPK123 Member

I am looking at purchasing an unstructured jacket and would like some feedback on these two jackets.

I am not able to try on the Zegna Street jacket where I am, so can't do a direct comparison. I do however have a couple of Zegna Mila suits, so sizing won't be a problem.

On the face of it they look like a very similar offering. Would appreciate any thoughts on both?
    Armholes, weight, durability, quality etc?

Have looked at the dover jacket from Boglioli, but I don't believe it is a canvassed jacket? It is also quite short and fashion forward. When spending this sort of money I'm looking for something with a bit more 'style longevity'.

6. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

If it's a bright sunny day, all those are fair game, as long as, of course, it's warm enough for you as well.

7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Boxy is bad, but so is too tight.

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Neutral is always a good answer.

9. JPK123

JPK123 Member

2. Try www.herringshoes.co.uk for a few options. Jack Erwin has a couple of options that are similar around $200 which represent good value.

10. JPK123

JPK123 Member

MTM or a retro costume shop. You won't find anything RTW like that. That movie is set in the 60s or 70s...
    Please don't.

1 person likes this.
  11. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge New Member

Looking to upgrade my wardrobe staples with some Kamakura white dress shirts. The 200 thread count twill shirts are not in stock. Other options ($79/US) are either 100% cotton or 100% Supima cotton. I know the difference between the two fabrics but which is better for a shirt? Thanks

12. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

[​IMG]

What's your thought on this sweater? What should I pair it with? I was thinking of dark colored chinos (navy, olive, burgundy) and a light blue OCBD.

Many thanks,

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I would also consider a white tee/jeans/brown chukkas..Clark type boots.

14. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Hi,

I just have a couple of questions:
    - do you know a good tailor / tailors in London for alterations ? If so, what are their fees ?
    - which One is better between Shibumi, Conrad Wu and Capelli - in terms of quality - for ties ?

15. Xancatrius

Xancatrius Senior member

Does anybody have any recommendations for good fabric shops in London?

Would be great if they had some vintage fabric lying around.

Or a lot.

16. mosy

mosy Senior member

Thanks!

17. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Where can I find an evaluation of these different Bass Weejun flat strap models in specified colors - their respective advantages and disadvantages?

Ryan Weejuns Brown, Tan
    Wilton Weejuns Brown, Burgundy
    Turner Weejuns Smooth Brown
    Ray Weejuns Brown
    Classic Flat Strap Weejuns Burgundy

18. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Which whole cut loafer is to be preferred:
    Justin FitzPatrick
    Kent Wang
    ?

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Mostly, the difference seems to be the leather selection and whether the sole edges are dyed. The Wiltons, however, have a Blake rather than a Blake/Rapid construction- the sole is sewn directly to the upper. It's thinner and more flexible (a look and feel some strongly desire), but will wear faster and on wet days, the water will seep into the shoe through the stitching. Blake/Rapid sews a midsole to the upper, and then sews the sole to that midsole. It extends out to the side further, you can't cut it as close to the sides of the upper, is thicker and less flexible, but more durable. That's the classic version of the penny loafer most people are used to seeing. The turner has that plus a rubber layer- for grip, and for yet longer wear.

The classic flat strap uses a corrected grain that will have a plasticky finish. Easier to maintain, but many find it a tad tacky, and you'll never get the character that a full grain leather will develop over time. It is a classic penny loafer thing, though, even models from nicer makers have used some variation on occasion, the Allen Edmonds Walden being an example. But the Turner is a pebble grain, generally considered a no fuss leather, the Rays seem to be full grain, though the contrast stitching is eh. The Ryans are nubuck, which is a leather that's had the top ground off to essentially become a really short napped version of suede. Velvety finish, no polish required.

Bass is making shoes with nicer leathers these days, and it's nice to see. I'm a fan of Weejuns, and have several pairs. You won't get a shoe with a leather sole that's actually sewn on at a better price, and now that they're using decent leathers again, you really do get a lot for the money. The sole leather is pretty unimpressive, but there are places to get cheap resoles in the world.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  20. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

It could go with light-colored chinos and jeans too, of course. Moleskins probably. However, a white tee shirt is too casual and a dress shirt maybe too formal. A sportshirt would be best.