• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey guys,
What do you all think about these shoes?

I would have loved something less shiny and a bit more worn looking but these look alright. Was also hoping for the holes or whatever those things are called that are on a couple of the shoes here. Any insight is welcomed. I didn't make the purchase just yet.

Also what could I pair with these? I'd probably wear them to church and just casual settings.
I wouldn't pull the trigger on them. The red is... meh.

OJKD

Reaction score
So, I got invited to this James Bond-theme thing. Not wearing a tux, likely to get wasted, and so are all other participants. Wine stains does not make for a good look on a tux.

Is this James Bond enough? Thoughts on the trench?

Enthusiasm

Reaction score
Gents, my hope is running out, as is my time. I need to find shoes that fit me. G lasts are in general too slim in size UK8,5-9, with feet measurements L:27,5 W:11,5. I don't know what to do, I was hoping for Meermin, but that seems like a dead end. Does anyone have any ideas?

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Hi, does anybody have an opinion on Zara shoes...what do you guys think of these 3....I was thinking the 2nd looks best, followed by the first, ending with the third
http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ra-W2012-s/317602/828133/OXFORD LACE-UP SHOES
http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stor...zara-W2012-s/317602/948059/FADED OXFORD SHOES
http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ara-W2012-s/317602/933545/DRESSY BROGUE SHOES

Much better than aldo which is the only other option I have in my country without getting taxed 30+ dollars just to bring the shoes in on import...so for my first pair of dressier shoes, I'm looking at one of these 3...

Secondly...are wingtips something you buy after plain and cap toe shoes? I mean...If I don't have a plain toe shoe or cap toe...I shouldn't be buying a wingtip first...this is to be worn with a sports coat and as smart casual....hence why I thought maybe the first link was the best. Thanks.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post (my old one is awaiting moderation since I'm new so I can't edit it)...but Zara apparently doesn't ship to Canada like that...I'd have to visit a retail store in Toronto far from where I am to take advantage of the sale...once again...trapped in a corner with no light. smh...still would like opinions on the above though.

Edit* for some reason this post isn't awaiting moderation like my old one is...which is strange...anyways in my old one I was asking about how Zara's reputation is for shoes such as their "faded oxford shoe" and whether or not wingtips are something you should buy before or after plaintoe/captoe in smart casual wear often paired with a sports coat.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2) Think it looks strange/wrong

If you choose a different color for belt/shoes, it looks better with a bigger difference - e.g. dark green belt and mid brown shoes.

What? No. Dark brown and cordovan is fine. The idea that belts have to match shoes exactly is wrong- as long as you're in the ballpark, you're fine. And cordovan is just a reddish shade of brown, you'd be fine with a different shade of brown for the belt. Just so long as you keep to browns with browns and black with black.

It won't look off to anybody but the slavishly rules obsessed, and for them, it won't look off because it looks bad, it'll look off because it violates their strict interpretation of a phrase they were told by someone.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What? No. Dark brown and cordovan is fine. The idea that belts have to match shoes exactly is wrong- as long as you're in the ballpark, you're fine. And cordovan is just a reddish shade of brown, you'd be fine with a different shade of brown for the belt. Just so long as you keep to browns with browns and black with black.

It won't look off to anybody but the slavishly rules obsessed, and for them, it won't look off because it looks bad, it'll look off because it violates their strict interpretation of a phrase they were told by someone.
I agree that this is completely fine. I actually have trouble distinguishing my dark brown belt from my burgundy/merlot one in the morning in dim lighting. It makes me wonder if purchasing the 2 different belts was even worth it.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I got invited to this James Bond-theme thing. Not wearing a tux, likely to get wasted, and so are all other participants. Wine stains does not make for a good look on a tux.

Does James Bond even wear a trench coat? I honestly don't know, just asking. I also think James Bond would wear shoes (those are socks in the picture, right?).

I like velvet blazers. I think James Bond would be more likely to wear a true smoking jacket though. The biggest issue with the whole thing is the tremendous collar gap you have with the jacket. Also, try tucking the pocket flaps in, assuming they are trimmed on the top and bottom.

mitchapalooza

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I have a quick question for y'all and I'd appreciate some opinions.

I am looking at the Ugg Ascot slipper to wear casually with jeans, khakis, and even sweat pants.

What I need your help on is deciding which to get. I have it down to the dark brown (China Tea) leather versus the espresso brown suede shoe. (Note: The new espresso brown is much lighter than the old dark brown. It's more of a grey-brown.)

One more detail: the leather shoe doesn't fit as good as the suede. But do you think the suede ones are as fashionable?

Many thanks.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, I got invited to this James Bond-theme thing. Not wearing a tux, likely to get wasted, and so are all other participants. Wine stains does not make for a good look on a tux. Is this James Bond enough? Thoughts on the trench?
Sorry man, I think your proposal is more
than

Pingu

Reaction score
What is the difference between a 1 button suit and a 2 button suit. Does it depend on the body type or is one more formal?

mixedmajik

Reaction score
My opinion...the taller you are...the more buttons you can likely pull off...most short guys like myself don't rock 3 buttons very well...2 and 1 for me...1 for me is more casual

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm... the closely fitted pants, the velvet blazer... no, not James Bond. I'd say it's more Maxwell Smart.

Plus, I can recall seeing Agent 86 wear a trench coat. And you could explain your lack of shoes as having something to do with your shoe phone. So definitely more Maxwell Smart, than James Bond.

Mind you, I'm talking about "classic" Maxwell Smart. As played by Don Adams. I know there was a "Get Smart" film, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, which starred someone else as Maxwell Smart. But I'm ignoring him. Same way that the only James Bond I care about was played by Sean Connery, although I know that several other actors have taken a turn since then. For all I know, the latest James Bond may actually dress sort of like Maxwell Smart once did. Heck, he may pal around with a robot named Felix Leiter (nicknamed "Hymie"), who thinks it's okay to sport a diver's watch with a dinner jacket. I really couldn't say; Hollywood is weirder than I can comfortably imagine.
--
Michael

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads