1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Back in the olden days, when many offices still expected employees above a certain level to wear ties (well, at least male employees, but prior to the 1970's, that often meant pretty much anyone in the office who wasn't a secretary), one would be expected to wear a tie "properly." If you showed up at work with your collar button undone and your tie loosened, you'd likely be told to button your collar button and to fix your tie.

And no, you couldn't answer that the office dress code only says that you have to wear a tie, and you're wearing one, so technically you're in compliance and can't be forced to button the collar and cinch up the knot. Well, you could answer that way, but you'd likely be out of a job very shortly thereafter.

So are you asking whether the poster boy for youthful rebellion could put in his 9 hours at the office, then unbutton his collar button and loosen his tie on the subway ride home? Because sure, he could, but it wouldn't say to the world, "I represent youthful rebellion," so much as it would say to the world, "I've just worked a long day, and am tired, and am undoing my collar button and loosening my tie, so as to be more comfortable on the ride home." And maybe a few of the more conservative men (and women) seeing this would privately disapprove of his slovenly appearance. But nobody would think "youthful rebellion."

Do bear in mind that the mores and attitudes of the time placed great emphasis at least the outward appearance of conformity - most especially in the workplace, for white collar employees. The youthful rebel who wanted to show the world that he didn't buy into the company line, was risking unemployment, often along with a non-trivial degree of social ostracism.

2. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

^^ That's more or less what I would have thought, but, since I wasn't there, figured I should ask someone who was.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

+1000 :slayer:

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Barbarian!

5. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I've been called worse.

J

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Full brogue = wing tip
    A half brogue is a cap toe shoe with a medallion on the toe cap (like AE Strand)
    A quarter brogue is a punch cap with broging around the lace area as well, and possibly on the back of the shoe. I believe the C&J Westbourne is a quarter brogue, though I've seen it classified as an Adelaide. I'm not clear what the difference is or if the categories overlap at all.

7. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Fantastic colors and BEAUTIFUL shoes

8. seven7

seven7 Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for a mid-weight dark grey (not charcoal) suiting fabric? It could be solid or with a subtle pattern.

9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

As far as I know, an adelaide can be a quarter brogue, half brogue, sometimes a full brogue, and theoretically a captoe or plain toe.

Functionally, I find it useful to think of a shoe which is a half-brogue minus the medallion as a quarter brogue, and to think of a captoe with a line of broguing at the edge of the cap as a punch cap, but I don't know if that's 100% correct.

10. RyanM

RyanM Senior member

11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I have wondered whether there are firm definitions, at all, or if it is more a matter of looking at a shoe, and gauging the proportion of it that is brogued.

12. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

That is exactly how I know it, and the definitions I use.

J

13. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

How do you guys keep your pocket squares organized? I keep all of mine dumped into a shopping bag, which I upend on my bed then pick out the square I want. It is getting a bit out of control, and there has to be a better way.

J

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I store them in a corner of my tie drawer. Roll them and put them down like I do the ties.

15. 12345Michael54321

Stacked, in a 16.5 x 16.5 x 3.5" clear plastic container, on a shelf in the closet.

It's like a Tupperware or Rubbermaid food storage container, although it's not actually by Tupperware or Rubbermaid. I picked it up at a restaurant supply place, a few years ago. It was presumably intended for storing brownies or lasagna or somesuch. Even comes with a snap-on lid. I don't remember the price, but it didn't cost much.

As most of my pocket squares are 16x16", with nearly all the rest somewhat smaller than that, the size is fine. And the 3.5" height is ample.

I suspect something similar could be found at a place like Bed, Bath, & Beyond, or Ikea.

1 person likes this.
  16. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Folded 4 or 5 to a box, in Drake's pocket square boxes, which are kept in a drawer. Sort of a PITA sometimes to find the one I want. I need a better way too.

17. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Is it a pain to get one out of the middle?

There has to be a better way.

J

18. 12345Michael54321

As a practical matter, I've never found it to be much of a problem. But I accept that a solution which strikes me as being perfectly adequate may be rejected as hopelessly inelegant by the next fellow.

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

With my bowties in a wire basket hung on those 3m hooks beneath my tie rack.

20. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I have just thrifted several suits that need minor alterations. I realize this can vary widely by location, but what would you normally expect to pay for:

Reducing a jacket in the chest and/or waist?
    Slimming pant legs?
    Letting out waist and seat?

I'm going to do some phoning around starting Monday, and would like to have a ballpark figure. If you're local to Vancouver, I'm especially interested to know.