1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

That's quite a bit of work to do, especially to the pants. I'm based out of Edmonton, with a mid-range priced tailor...for what you're describing, I would expect to pay up to $100 for that work ($40 jacket, $30 waist and seat, $30 slimming).

2. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Thanks for the info - pricing is probably similar. I'm contemplating letting a lower priced tailor attempt slimming the pants. Jackets, I'll be pickier about - I normally wouldn't buy a jacket that didn't fit, but these were $10 per suit. There was no risk at all.

3. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Exactly how long should the vest of a 3pc suit be?

J

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Long enough so that even with the bottom button unbuttoned and the bottom sweeping outward it covers the waist and its closure fully.

Although "exactly" is a bit harder to quantify.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  5. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Ok, I feel like most of mine the bottom button lines up with the waistband.

J

6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I’d like to know if there’s a name for a particular tie pattern.

Imagine a conservative navy pindot. Now imagine that instead of dots it’s got little equilateral crosses: “+” instead of “.” I’m in the market for such a tie but my search is hampered by my ignorance of the name (if indeed it has one).

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It would obviously fall under the general heading of "geometric." However, while a geometric with small, evenly and closely spaced dots is widely known as a pindot, I do not believe there is a commonly recognized name for a geometric pattern consisting of small plus signs.

I'm guessing that if such a name did exist, it might be "pincross." But a quick Google search didn't yield much of value.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Jos. A. Bank has a Buy 1, GET 2 FREE promo going on right now. Does anyone know if you automatically get 2 free items or do you need to add 2 additional items on your cart and they'd be free?

Thanks

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Thanks. Ultimately most people would say it's a type of foulard, but that's so general a category as to be of no help in a search. I know I've seen them. I also for some reason am thinking of them as being mostly (originally?) a British thing.

Cheers,

Ac

10. 12345Michael54321

Right. That's how it works. You put 3 qualifying items in your cart, and the 2 less expensive of the 3 are free. You pay regular price for the most expensive item.

('Course, you could have discovered this for yourself by simply putting an item in your cart, proceeding to check out, and seing that JAB wasn't adding the other free items for you.)

And obviously, if the sale indicates "mix and match" (as these JAB sales typically do indicate), it would have to work that way. Since mixing and matching would be somewhat contrary to the idea of the site automatically adding additional free items.

BTW, are you sure it's a Buy 1, Get 2 free promo? I thought this weekend's sale, at least on suits, sport coats, and outerwear, was Buy 1, Get 3 free.

Anyway, Buy 1, Get 2 free, is just a 67% (or less, assuming not all 3 items are the same price) off sale, on purchases of 3 items. Since JAB not infrequently runs 65% and 70% off sales good on purchases of even a single item, this sale is nothing terribly special. Still, I guess if there are 3 items you really want from JAB, all with the same regular price, it's not actually a bad sale.

11. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

I tried adding 3 pairs of $18.00 socks (with "Buy 1, GET 2 FREE!* Mix'n Match" promo) on my cart and my total is $54.00. I guess the other 2 items have to have lower prices? [​IMG]

12. 12345Michael54321

Yes. I should have indicated that it's type geometric or foulard. As a practical thing, the two terms are often used interchangeably, particularly when the repeating pattern is small and non-paisley.

So have I. Along with similar ties with fleur-de-lis, or diamonds, or various other small shapes, instead of dots or plus signs. They're not all that uncommon a tie design.

Might have originally been. I really don't know. But today I don't think there's anything uniquely British about them. Sort of like repp ties that way, in that regardless of their origins, they're commonly found in America, too.

1 person likes this.
  13. mimo

mimo Senior member

Maybe this is a silly question (given that, in general, you often tend to get what you pay for), but: as a non-American, I know nothing at all about "Jos A Bank". I'm looking at 75% reductions on sports jackets and the like and wondering if it's worth a go. Is this fused rubbish, or passable as a minimum standard? And how do their sizes run?

14. 12345Michael54321

Equal or lower.

Maybe socks aren't included in the sale. Or perhaps their prices aren't changed to $0 until later in the check out process.

But as I previously indicated, I think that this weekend's sale is "Buy 1, Get 3 FREE," on most suits, sport coats, and outerwear. It has nothing to do with socks. So if you tried doing this today, that could be your answer for you.

15. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Is anyone familiar with Cambridge brand suits? Just thrifted two, and wondering if they're anything. For what I paid, I don't really care if they are particularly high quality, or well known, just curious.

16. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

I'm trying to order these socks: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_100642

It indicates "Buy 1, GET 2 FREE!* Mix'n Match", and my total is $54 even in the payment/send order page.

Anyway, I contacted customer services on the phone and the rep says there seems to be problems with their catalog.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

@12345Michael54321
    I'm counting on you to tell me is Jos A Bank is garbage or not.

18. 12345Michael54321

JAB gets a lot of criticism on SF, but the truth is that some of stuff is perfectly acceptable. Oh, their regular prices are a joke - a suit with a regular price of $1200 at JAB is NEVER actually worth anything remotely like $1200. But when on sale for $299, it may be worth buying.

As for fused, and sizes, and the rest, a lot depends on which line we're talking about. I believe Signature Gold, Signature Platinum, and above, are half canvassed. Lower lines are, I think, fused. There may be some exceptions, or I may be slightly off, but I believe that's about right.

And some lines are sized big, while others are sized... well, somewhat less big. JAB isn't a place I think of for extremely slim-fitting suits and jackets, although some of their lines come a little closer to it than do others. I think their Joseph line is supposed to be their take on a more modern fit.

I have found that their Signature and Signature Gold suits have ridiculously over-padded shoulders. I mean, it's like JAB figures all men want the "I'm wearing NFL shoulder pads under my jacket" look.

But I have also read that starting sometime a year or two ago, JAB began slimming down some of their suits and jackets (and maybe reducing the shoulder padding a little). I don't know if this is true, or to which lines it applies, but it's something I've heard.

As for whether it's worth a go for you, I'd suggest that unless you can go to a JAB store and try on some items, you'd be better off not buying. Again, it's not like you'd be passing on the opportunity to snag yourself some $1200 suits for $299. They're really just $299 suits, with "pretend" regular prices of $1200.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yeah, I'm looking at some lightweight summer sports jackets at about $80 and wondering if it's worth trying. Thanks for the guidance - I'll probably pass.

20. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

If you already have a wardrobe, I would pass. If you are a college grad with his first job he needs a suit for...

J