1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I think youre being too critical about regular wrinkles and a slightly awkward pose. Nothing more.

2. beneven

beneven Well-Known Member

Gentlemen: disaster?

[​IMG]
    (apologies for the crap pic)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

It looks like a nice enough tie and shirt, but in my opinion you should try a different knot because of the shirt collar type. Try a half-windsor. If you are not sure how to tie it, there are some good videos on youtube that can walk you through it. Also, it's tough to tell if the shirt collar is too tight or not, but I guess you can decide that.

Welcome to the site.

2 people like this.
  4. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

@beneven

Is the shirt collar undone on purpose? It looks too small, as does the knot. But, the knot is a little hard to judge without seeing the spread of the collar when buttoned.

If you're asking about tee shirt and tie combination, I quite like it. I don't find picking up a time from your shirt, with your tie, to be match.

If you are gig to wear the shirt unbuttoned, due the intentional "between meetings" look, I would go for a Prince Albert knot, which is, I believe, what most on here call a double four in hand. If you're going to wear the collar done up, I would try a half Windsor.

It also looks like your chin is down, and your beard fairly full (extending more than half an inch from your actual chin). It makes the shirt collar look too tall from the angle of the photo, but I suspect the angle is the only reason.

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

[@dapperdoctor[/@] :fistbump: Windsor wearers unite!

1 person likes this.
  6. beneven

Good call. Thanks!

7. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

[​IMG]

8. beneven

not on purpose, an oversight on my part--although I am not opposed to the in between meetings look; yes the beard is full but the angle is weird, I am unpracticed at taking pictures of my ties haha
    thanks!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  9. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I have been known to rock the loosened tie look, more in a sw&d context, normally, but I think it has its role. I'd actually be interested to hear from some members older than myself, how long it has been a going concern. It seems recent to me, but I saw they dressed Ben Whishaw that way in The Hour. That makes me think it might be a look that guys around my age revived (or had revived for us, by the fashion industry) rather than invented/normalized/whatever.

10. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

^^Only in a bar, after work, and after my first single malt do I loosen my tie.

11. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I generally just remove my tie, fold it neatly, and put it in my jacket pocket if I decide I want more breathing room at the bar, I'll usually cuff my sleeves, and may untuck my shirt at that point.

J

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I fully agree that the look doesn't work with a suit, and, in the case of suits, I have the same approach (except with a pint from the day's cask). With jeans, a quarter zip sweater, and Chuck Taylor's, or some such look, that's another matter entirely.

I was more curious about whether the fashion existed, even if only as a form of ill advised youthful rebellion, prior to the 90's/00's, when I first noticed it.

13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I literally have never understood why people wear ties with that kind of rig. It can't be healthy.

14. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It has long existed as an occasional response to heat and fatigue, of course.

But as a form of youthful rebellion... well, back when youthful rebellion was truly youthful rebellion, and not simply fashion and posturing, no self-respecting rebel would be caught wearing a tie, loosened or otherwise. :)

Okay, maybe the rebel would wear a tie as a headband. (A particularly well regarded practice when it was an American flag necktie.)

15. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I wear, and enjoy it. It's a matter of setting, and audience, to be sure. In a setting where jeans and sweatshirts are the norm, it is a way to demonstrate that you have put thought and care into your appearance, without risking that others will perceive you to be setting yourself above them. The tie, especially, helps you stand apart from the crowd, but not too far. It's similar to what a white linen PS can do for a conservative business fit - the audience, in that case, being acclimated to the variations of CBD. When I wear a fit like that, I tend to get complimented on my tie, by people who probably don't own ties, and would never have expected to like one.

I know your comment was meant, largely, in jest. And I have started dressing, let's call it properly, more often when I go out in social settings, and people regularly compliment me if I am wearing a suit as well. But, if I were to wear a suit, and tie, to a meeting, in most settings I would be seen as taking myself much too seriously. When I wear jeans, a business shirt, and a sport coat, I'm the most formally dressed person, but I get compliments, rather than sneers.

1 person likes this.
  16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Even if one's work place required a tie? Even bad ass rebels gots ta eat.

17. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I regularly wear an ocbd, tie, cricket sweater, jeans, and sometimes a navy blazer.

But I keep my shirt tucked in, and my tie knot snug.

J

18. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Question, what is a quarter brogue cap toe derby suitable to wear with?

Less formal suits, and more formal jacket/trouser combinations?

J

19. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Follow up to the above, can someone quickly explain the difference between quarter, half, and full brogues?

20. tanasap

tanasap Member

Does anyone have knowledge of Mr. Brown by Duckie Brown suits? Specifically quality/construction, but thoughts on sizing, cut, aesthetics are welcome.