1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@mimo , some of their made in mexico suits are tailored with zegna cloth. Obviously, that says nothing for the cut, but the fabric can be nice.

So a question: I've been looking for black chelsea boots and found these online. Are these too dressy to wear with say... jeans and also wear with a suit or slacks? Does the captoe etc make these too casual?

[​IMG]

2. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I don't like that particular arrangement of captoes, and the folks on here who vastly outdress me and like their chelseas aren't particularly fond of anything other than the plain kind.

If you can swing getting the LE ones very cheaply, that might not be a bad idea. Mine are holding up fine (like most of my shoes, they get hard wear and decent care), and I'm happy with them for the $70 I paid, but they'd be a great deal if they feel below $60. They run a touch wide. I do wish I'd had a topy put on mine first thing, since as far as I can tell, they're blake-stitched with a bonwelt. They have low-quality full grain leather. I'd say the styling is right on, and quality wise they're probably a cut or two above Aldo (these have leather soles, leather lining, gross synthetic insole).

Mimo, Joey Banks doesn't deserve you.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. ridethecliche

Yeah, I think going plain might be the best option.

LE=Lands end?

I might check out ASOS as well since a user here recommended them for the price. I wish the PRL Newent chelsea's weren't sold out in my size. They're a great price (110) for the shoes. Same with the suede jodhpurs, which are about 150. Sigh.

What is this style of wingtip called? I bought them without quite realizing that the third row of perforations was totally different. I'm not totally sure how I feel about it, but I kind of like how different it is from anything else.

[​IMG]

4. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Yep, Lands' End.

Deez:

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-fulton-chelsea-boots/id_228833

Those shoes are okay, but I was just polishing a pair of light colored wingtips without a medallion that I have, and I thought to myself "I don't want another pair of tan shoes without a medallion on the toe, because they show a lot of scuffs." Those are darker than mine. Those are some kind of full-brogue balmoral, but I can't give you more than that (there's an interesting thread right now on Foo's bespoke bals).

They're also a little more worn than I'd buy for real money without a try-on, but I'm touchy about such things.

5. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

So I had my fitting for my wedding shoes. They fit great and only need minor adjustments on the vamp which is encouraging. The thing is..

I mentioned to the cordwainer that I was a little disappointed in the color as I was expecting a light grey/blue which could get some antiquing with the finish. Instead it is a very dark grey that indoors looks black and outdoors looks just dark grey.

He said that he would be able to add blue dye to the leather before applying the finish which would make the it come lut a bit more how I expected.

Is this ok? dying calf leather again after making the shoe sounds a bit like a hack job but I have no idea. Any input whether I should give the go ahead would be appreciated.

6. ridethecliche

Yeah, I was looking for a pair brown wingtips for a bit and I almost wanted something without a medallion. I have a pair of tan double monks wingtips with a medallion and a pair of AE walnut daltons with the same style. I figured I'd go for something more dressy and formal looking. I got both these shoes and a pair of AE penny's for 100 shipped so I think I did okay! Now just looking for black chelsea's!

7. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I would call them quarter brogues. J

8. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

FWIW I absolutely love my black Prada Chelsea boots, and got them for far less than the $800 sticker price. Chelsea boots are not a necessity, so you have the luxury of waiting until you get a great deal. J

9. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

^^ those aren't quarter brogues

10. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Ok, how would you classify them?

J

11. ridethecliche

My comment was more so about the fact that the broguing pattern, especially by the ankle, is different on these than almost all the wingtips that I've seen pictures of lately.

12. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

Just because I know what they aren't doesn't mean I know what they are. It isn't an austerity brogue, nor a half or semi brogue. I guess I'd call it a wingtip without a toe medallion. I don't particularly like them.

13. ridethecliche

Why's that? Curious. I know you're not a fan of AE's in general.

14. skywalker

skywalker Senior member

Who makes the nicest double monk in the $600 price range.

15. ben1234

ben1234 Member

Is this pattern houndstooth or something else?

[​IMG]

16. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

Im a skinny guy, and I have a suit with a lapel width of 2.5", I have a tie that measures 3.25". The tie's colours look really good with the suit, but I am wondering if it is a bit too wide for it.

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yes.

No. 3.25 is on the narrow side of classic. You don't need to match tie size to lapel size exactly, just make sure they don't look discordant, and really, you need to worry more about your body size when determining tie width than anything relating to your suit. You're absolutely fine.

18. ridethecliche

I'd call that a micro houndstooth.

19. ben1234

ben1234 Member

Y'all are fast. Thanks.

20. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Ok. I was under the impression that a wingtip was anything that had the W toe cap irrespective of any broguing.

If that shoe was a captoe it would surely be a quarter brogue so I didn't see why it wouldn't still be classified as such with the wingtip.

J