• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bnovc

Reaction score
I have one suit right now, and I would like to get more, but I'm too nervous about getting something that doesn't fit. I don't think I have any clothes that properly fit me. I'm considering ordering one off of moderntailor.com, but I question if I would be better off getting something in a store. My current suit is black with light pinstripes, and I would like to get a light gray one like http://www.express.com/glenplaid-wool-blend-photographer-suit-jacket-43667-697/index.pro (I suspect this isn't good quality though).

So questions:

Does ModernTailor seem like a good choice?

How should the arms of a suit jacket look when you raise them in the air? I've seen examples in the fit forum of improper ones, but I haven't seen an example of a properly fitted one.

Thanks

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have one suit right now, and I would like to get more, but I'm too nervous about getting something that doesn't fit. I don't think I have any clothes that properly fit me. I'm considering ordering one off of moderntailor.com, but I question if I would be better off getting something in a store. My current suit is black with light pinstripes, and I would like to get a light gray one like http://www.express.com/glenplaid-wool-blend-photographer-suit-jacket-43667-697/index.pro (I suspect this isn't good quality though).

So questions:

Does ModernTailor seem like a good choice?

How should the arms of a suit jacket look when you raise them in the air? I've seen examples in the fit forum of improper ones, but I haven't seen an example of a properly fitted one.

Thanks

As a noob myself, i have made it policy to always try a specific item on in store before i buy, even if i end up buying the item online. My understanding is that there is a lot of knowledge and experience that needs to be collected before one ventured into bespoke, or in this case, custom suits.

I have heard mixed reviews about Modern Tailor, but it might be due to the fact that most people can't measure themselves accurately.

Lastly, a high armhole is usually ideal, as it will allow you to move and rotate your arms around with minimal pulling on the suit. It also seems to be a detail that more moderately priced (and above) suits have.

Someone else can chime in more advice...

soundsgood

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for a lower to mid range company that makes gray blazers with slightly wider shoulders/chest. My measurements are 40 chest, 19 shoulder, and 34 waist. Thanks.

Last edited:

setang

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this knot is and how to tie it? Specifically, I would like to have the additional wrapped layer that peeks out from within the knot. Thanks. (pic from WAYWRN)

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone tell me what this knot is and how to tie it? Specifically, I would like to have the additional wrapped layer that peeks out from within the knot. Thanks. (pic from WAYWRN)

Looks like a Prince Albert knot, essentially a 4 in hand wrapped around twice. Run the tie through the bottom fold of the knot, and your done...

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I have a navy suit, but no traditional navy blazer with gold buttons. If I was to replace the buttons on my navy suit jacket with gold buttons, could I wear it as a blazer as well as a suit jacket?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't work as a suit jacket.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a navy suit, but no traditional navy blazer with gold buttons. If I was to replace the buttons on my navy suit jacket with gold buttons, could I wear it as a blazer as well as a suit jacket?
no suit jacket is more structured than a blazer.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you tell the difference between Zegna tiers? For instance a pair of Ermenegildo Zegna label wool trousers for $400, but then a pair of cotton /cashmere chinos for $700. How can you tell the difference from regular Zegna and Couture?

Couture unless things have changed will show XXX on the label. If you do a search on Zegna labels the thread on labels should pop up.

But you're comparing different materials. Same tier but different materials can have much different prices. I assume the cotton/cashmere pants were Cashco. The wool could be anything from the basic up to one of the nicer more expensive brands.

In my experience cheapest to most expensive generally

Plain cotton
Linen
Wool
Cashmere

A cashmere jacket can easily be 1.5 to 2x the price of a cotton one.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Double four in hand. Just do a four in hand and loop it around twice.

cooljw

Reaction score
I have broad shoulders and a skinny waist. Can anyone recommend any good typical mall stores that have casual shirts/polos that would fit me?

For example, I like the clothes at A/X but while their Medium size shirts fit my shoulders great, I usually end up swimming in the torso and it looks like I'm wearing a barrel. On the other hand their Small size shirts fit my torso great, but the shoulders are too tight and make the shirt look too small up top.

I would love to be able to buy shirts with the attributes of a Medium size in the shoulder area and a Small size down below.

I think this question gets asked all the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads