Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Have you tried Polo polos in custom or tailor fit? You might also be interested in the polos from Kent Wang.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just buy shirts that fit your neck and shoulders the way you like and have a seamstress take in the sides. Easy peasy.

3. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Anyone have experience with Edward Green's 606 and 82 lasts? I have a pair of Dovers in the 606 and it's just a touch short the right foot. I'm thinking about getting a pair of Shannons on the 82. If I'm a 8.5/ 9D in the 606, should I stick with the same size on the 82, or move up to a 9/ 9.5D?

Two factors to perhaps consider: boots are a bit more forgiving in terms of roominess (which would suggest I should size up) and the 82 is a bit more elongated than the 606 (which would suggest that I can keep to my current size).

Any advice?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

5. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Can someone please post a link to the often-mentioned thread with instructions for polishing cordovan shoes? I've seen it linked many times, but can't seem to find it now.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I assume you mean the Mac Method? There are a bunch of threads over at AAAC about it. Will at ASW also had something good.

7. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

8. Monsieur Ed

Monsieur Ed Member

9. TuckerSon

TuckerSon Active Member

There was a young guy around 20-25 with a blog whom shopped at H&M and other cheaper stores but still dressed well in suits. Any idea which blog this was?

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

http://mensstylepro.com/

11. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

Im going to get ridiculed for being dressed by the internet but is this ok?
    First time wearing a pocket square. I'll be wearing a navy suit, with a lime green shirt and light blue necktie. The suit is the same style as in the picture.

It was posted in the pocketsquare thread, if in doubt skip it, I really want to try wearing one.

[​IMG]

12. JRGEICO

JRGEICO Active Member

Gents,

what is the best fabric for a suit that you wear +12 hours a day for 6 days a week??

I have an appointment on the 5th of may for my first custom made suit and want to be duly informed :)

Any other tips or stuff that you guys would have wanted to know prior to your first custom made??

Thanks!

13. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

If you're asking about one suit worn six days a week you really want to read some more

14. JRGEICO

JRGEICO Active Member

I am well aware that I need to read much more (I have a post count of 10, what did you expect :D) but time is a very scarce good for me so I try to optimize whenever I can.

I currently work in finance, where a typical day for me starts at 9 and ends at 9+ (excluding time on the road). This means that, when expanding my wardrobe, I have to make sure that I buy stuff that can withstand being worn +12 hours a day (for 2 or max 3 days). By extreme example, a Vicuña suit would not last long.

I try to switch suits every 2 days. At the moment I own four suits, 3 are Suit Supply and 1 is SOCI3TY (which as I type it reads very very cheap (it wasnt)), but I admit that I never really paid attention to type of lapels, fabric etc etc.
    As I want to change this and dress more consciously (I am a huge believer of the dress good feel good theory) I made an appointment with a local tailor in Brussels (to give you an idea: custom suits start at EUR 750) and I am now starting to do research to make sure that I will not be hassled (after all, it is Brussels :D).

That's why I was wondering whether there is this kind of scale that says

Low Durability -- High Durability
    Vicuna -- Steel

Is this a more sufficient explanation?

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Basically, you don't want to get anything that is too lightweight because that wears faster. I would stay at about 11oz or above. Also reputable fabric mills discussed on this forum make better quality fabrics. There is a huge difference in durability between an 11oz fabric made in England and an 11oz fabric made in China. Also, I have found that twill and serge, even herringbone weaves with a smooth finish (not slubby) are a bit tougher than plain weaves, or rougher fabrics due to less friction on the surface. I hope this helps.