• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JesseLivermore

Reaction score
Figured instead of creating a new thread I'd just post my question here.

This will be my first time buying Ferragamo shoes, new or used, and am therefore not sure what to look for.

This is the actual link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200715807058?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

There are 7 pics total and can be enlarged for a much better look. Figured I wouldn't post them in here to cause any more lag than necessary.

Anyhow, if anyone could please tell me if these are rubber or leather sole and if they are glued? Of course I'd also like to know if they happen to be real, as well.

vzx83

Reaction score
I'm about to enter the professional world and I was wondering if I should spend more to get a canvassed MTM suit (such as one from Kent Wang) or simply try to find a decent suit off the rack from a department store or online and have it tailored. The third option is to have a local tailor make one, but I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about suits and fabrics to trust myself with commissioning one. I have two suits, so this would be my third; but, I'm not entirely satisfied with my previous two in terms of fit, material, or construction. They were purchased with haste because I needed one at the time.

In short, which option do you think is the best bang for the buck in terms of overall quality?

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I'm about to enter the professional world and I was wondering if I should spend more to get a canvassed MTM suit (such as one from Kent Wang) or simply try to find a decent suit off the rack from a department store or online and have it tailored. The third option is to have a local tailor make one, but I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about suits and fabrics to trust myself with commissioning one. I have two suits, so this would be my third; but, I'm not entirely satisfied with my previous two in terms of fit, material, or construction. They were purchased with haste because I needed one at the time.

In short, which option do you think is the best bang for the buck in terms of overall quality?

I have no experience with Kent Wang, but I would suggest that you spend as much money as you can on one suit. If you spend your money well you will only have to spend it once.

Do your research here on SF and get informed about KW and go from there.

Semi Fly

Reaction score
*warning - contains sweeping generalisations*

MM, if you're going to peacock on a budget, maybe you should check out some thrift/charity shops and try to find an interesting (or offensive!) suit that doesn't need too much adjusting. Otherwise, if you have any suit that fits you, then maybe trade up on the shoes and accessories. But the waistcoat and trousers with no jacket thing is a bit low-grade style mag, and makes you look like a bell hop. :)

Yeah, vest without a jacket look makes you look like a waiter. No good.

+1. I tried this look at a wedding and found out the hard way.

sinfjotli

Reaction score
I don't know the brand you are referring to, but TM Lewin shirts are considered pretty decent for the price, and they can be had for 25 GBP if you buy 4 or more. Plus, they have regularly sales when they go for like 20 GBP I think. Also check Charles Tyrwhitt.

DjangoKill

Reaction score
Is this the right place to ask about ties whereabouts?

Im looking to buy a tie like this blue one here. Does anyone have any tips?

michaelyork

Reaction score
can someone who knows please advise me--what is the quality of corneliani like? Compared to say, Canali or Zegna or Isaia? about the same or less? reasons would be greatly appreciated!

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bout the same as all of those but Isaia, which is higher than the rest due to some handwork in the construction.

michaelyork

Reaction score
Bout the same as all of those but Isaia, which is higher than the rest due to some handwork in the construction.

ok thanks. does "Corneliani" automatically guarantee full canvas construction? Or is it like Zegna, where you can get full canvas to fully fused?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they sold a half-canvassed line, but I know their mainline stuff is full canvas.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What is the quality of Hilditch & Key compared to say, Borrelli and the Italian makers? I've tried to search the archives on this but there are mixed reviews. Is Hilditch in the same league or not?

Two different beasts. H&K makes a sturdy, machine-stitched shirt in the English tradition, without the handstitching and fat buttons and romantic sales pitches you get from the Italians. Collar choices are limited, and there's less emphasis on luxury cloths. But it's very practical, consistent in styling, and the classic collar is almost universally flattering. Guys who go for Italian shirts, especially the flashier collars and more conspicuous details, may find H&K a bit austere. But it generally hits the marks for me. Depends what you like and want from a shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads