1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Hey y'all, my first post here ...I was politely hushed out of a suiting store today.

Within minutes, someone came up and explained that off the rack is not for me.

I'm 6'3", shoulders are ~50 and waist is 31 but with big glutes and very big thighs.

What are my bespoke options around the $300-500 and $800-1200 price points?

2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Where do you live? MTM might be the best as it's hard to get bespoke at the cheaper price points unless you can go to somewhere in Asia or something.

3. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

In SoCal until Q3 2015.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

5. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Anyone got a nice, easy guide/infographic for buying a suit? Going to buy a suit on Saturday and it'll probably have to get tailored as I have a short and muscular physique, so mainly a guide to getting the right fit with the shoulders and chest.

6. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Quality is good for the price as far as I've read. Mainline stuff is cut large so you may want to size down, although they have introduced a line of slim fit shirts.

Signature Line is cut slimmer than traditional and "fitted" fits.

Don't know about American Apparel quality.

7. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Made to Measure is your friend. Search around the site for Made to Measure suits.

8. Bungle

Bungle Member

What are peoples opinions on wearing a three piece suit but with only two items matching? Eg jacket and waistcoat matching but with different trousers? Or matching trousers and waistcoat but different jacket?

9. d810

d810 Member

10. dijor

dijor Senior member

I bought a new pair of derbies/blusher the thing me worries is the wide space between the eyelet.

Does this look bad?

[​IMG]

11. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I'm not a fan of 3-piece suits so mixing it up takes a little of the stuffiness / bankerness out of it. I'm not keen on wearing the jacket and vest with different trousers, but swapping out the other 2 pieces can work. Obviously wearing matching jacket and trousers with a lightweight sweater in place of the vest is a classic look. Wearing the matching vest and trousers with something like a heavy shawl cardigan in place of the jacket can be next level brilliant (or it can fail hard; like everything else it's in the execution).

1 person likes this.
  12. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Tried, a few results but the internet isn't my thing. What are some of the better MTM shops ya'll would recommend?

13. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

welcome AFPJ

Whatever you do, dont send in your own measurements,. the price may be cheap but its not worth it.
    The cuttter must depend on you for his instructions. Can you do that?

better to find a tailor here, that acts as an agent for a M2M shop. but even with that you may go
    through 3 suits before you get a good fit.

14. AFPJ

AFPJ New Member

Sure can but this sounds more Bespoke than MTM doesn't it?
    I will do this, where / how can I look for such a thing? Start calling big names like Black Lapel and ask if they have local affiliates?

15. Bungle

Bungle Member

Thanks mate. Reason I ask is that I have a mid-grey three piece suit and I'm picking up a navy jacket and charcoal trousers today. Thought I might be able to change it up a bit.

16. clydu91

clydu91 Member

Hi everyone ! I was wondering if you could help me with this. I would like to buy the Black Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot and I usually wear size 11 but I've been seeing that those shoes are larger than you expect and I really don't want to mess up my order since I can't try them beforehand.

So what size d oyou think I should take ? Also, can someone please tell me the difference in width between the 3E and the D ?

And which one of them are those ones in the picture since they are the ones I want to cop :

[​IMG]

17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

It's hard to predict. I wear my normal size in the 1000 Mile boot.

1 person likes this.
  18. azumi

azumi Senior member

Which is more formal fabric in order? birdseye, twill, houndstooth, sharkskin/pick and pick, worsted, nailhead and herringbone?

19. clydu91

clydu91 Member

but don't you have a lot of toe room ?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  20. noobedloser

noobedloser Senior member

I have some questions regarding suit sizing. The smallest suit sizing usually is a 36s but I'm like a 34s, does anyone know of any brands that sell suits size 34? Should I buy a 36s and get it tailored or should I avoid this?

Edit: Also any recommendations for custom tailored suits in LA/OC county?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014