• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archibald London Hand Welted Shoes - preorder issues, discussion,and resolution.

Verrihappy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I admit that sometimes I come to this thread just to see your trolling, because I enjoy a car crash as much as the next person. However, when someone teases you back for the horrible grammar, it's not a great look to clap back with more nonsensical sentence structure.
Sorry mate. Me a lumpen, no Herr Professor Dr. of English.

archipel

Reaction score
Can we please keep this thread on topic?

I got my email about the options. Debating what to choose: partial refund & keep the shoes or complete refund & return the shoes.

The last of Archibald fit me well (I have never found a Chelsea boot that really fit me except this one) but even with a partial refund, I would never pay that amount for non-welted shoes. So I'm tempted to go for the full refund and look further for shoes that are in fact welted.

Anyone care to comment what they chose?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I got my email about the options. Debating what to choose: partial refund & keep the shoes or complete refund & return the shoes.

The last of Archibald fit me well (I have never found a Chelsea boot that really fit me except this one) but even with a partial refund, I would never pay that amount for non-welted shoes. So I'm tempted to go for the full refund and look further for shoes that are in fact welted.

Maybe this will help you answer your question. I’d think of how many shoes I have in my collection. I’d think about why would you never pay that much for shoes that aren’t welted. Do you have a small collection where you regularly re-sole your shoes and need it as a practical option? Or do you tend to just like the idea of being able to re-sole them but have brought very few pairs in for a re-sole and like them because you were told they are better?

You won’t get any disagreement from me on welted shoes being better with hand welted being my preference but thinking practically in this scenario if they fit and you like them might help you make your mind up.

If you like the shoes and how they look and they fit you well and you don’t wear through soles I’d take the 30% back, throw a toppy on and call it a day. If you don’t like how they look or you wear through soles and know you’re going to need to resole them then send them back and find another option.

deliku

Reaction score

If they fit and you like them I’d say just slap a sole protector on and keep them.

They are technically resoleable though probably a bit trickier than standard gyw so installing a sole protector and just replacing whenever it wears down would bypass that issue.

Potatoe

Reaction score

as mentioned, the only real difference is the fact it will be very difficult, if not impossible to have the shoes re-soled.

If you get the refund your total is around $200 which is about what a pair of blundstones from the mall cost.

If I had a pair of shoes that I liked and my cost was $200, I would be very happy. I doubt I will resole any of my current shoes. If they start wearing down I will just get toppys.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the shoes fit, look good (no leather quality problems like my pair), and you enjoy them, then just take the discount.

If it really matters to you they aren't welted, then I'd say send 'em back.

Either way, you're going to be better off than what you were.

I like all my shoes to be resolable as I want my shoe collection to basically last my life. I am at the point where shoes at this point are just an extravaganze, not a necessity, so I am not buying anymore actively (just getting deals on things I like, vintage, and special stuff).

You seem to enjoy your shoes, why not keep them and get 100 back? That seems the most practical option. Saves you extra time, too. No packing.

Also, I imagine that resoling won't be in the works for quite a while. I think you can expect most shoes to last at least 3-5 years, depending on wear, before a need for a resole, longer if they're better made. You could also treat this pair as suitable for rougher weather and have something useful for that purpose.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did $200 come from, weren't they at $300 with VAT excl even at "Naked"?

Here's 60 brands of mainly welted shoes below $340 listed (that's domestic RRP pricing, so for all European brands VAT can be deducted for US folks etc).
I think there’s a misunderstanding- You can effectively drop your cost to 200 by taking your 30% back on the refund if you keep them or you can get all of your money back which would give you 300 or so to find a new pair of shoes.

Potatoe

Reaction score
I think there’s a misunderstanding- You can effectively drop your cost to 200 by taking your 30% back on the refund if you keep them or you can get all of your money back which would give you 300 or so to find a new pair of shoes.
Take the 30% and you have a pair of shoes and roughly $100.
Send them back and you have roughly $300.

In order to have a pair of shoes and $100 you would need to buy new pair for $200.

So what can you buy for $200?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads