• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Product to replaice oils in hair to avoid the puffy, unmanagable after showering affect?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you may know, hair looks its best when it goes unwashed and the natural oils and even dirt help styles stay put and look neater.

can anyone recommend a product to make hair behave "dirtier" again after one washes it?
I've seen shining oils and pastes but not sure what will work or if there is a specially made product for what I am describing.

Last edited:

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, your claim isn't always true. It depends on your type of hair. Do you have curly, straight, dry, oily, long, short, etc. hair? It makes a difference.

Without seeing your hair it's hard to say but;

You do not need to wash your hair every day. Possibly every other. That will help save the natural oils in your hair and on your scalp.

Change shampoos. Your shampoo may be drying out your hair.

Products are your friend and your styling products will depend on your lifestyle, haircut, etc.

Need more info about your hair for a better response.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have thick straight hair, I asked my stylist and she says I have lots of hair and it's thick. I don't think its excessively oily

Problem is I wash my hair every 3 (sometimes 4) days because I can't stand how it behaves after I wash it.

Second problem: I use anti-dandruff shampoo :embar:

Don't want to switch shampoos or shampooing habits, but sometimes I have to wash my hair after certain sports, say if I go swimming or get really dirty and I have to worry about my hair not coming down from its washed puffy unmanageable look until about 3 days later when the natural oils and dirt regains its hold.

I know this is a problem and I vaguely remember seeing some show mentioning some product to combat this effect, albeit it was for woman , but still same thing .

Bearin

Reaction score
Sounds like we have similar hair, although if we went to the same barber I'd have a slightly better haircut. Use pomade or styling pastes, comb probably wouldn't hurt.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have thick straight hair, I asked my stylist and she says I have lots of hair and it's thick. I don't think its excessively oily
Problem is I wash my hair every 3 (sometimes 4) days because I can't stand how it behaves after I wash it.
Second problem: I use anti-dandruff shampoo :embar:
Don't want to switch shampoos or shampooing habits, but sometimes I have to wash my hair after certain sports, say if I go swimming or get really dirty and I have to worry about my hair not coming down from its washed puffy unmanageable look until about 3 days later when the natural oils and dirt regains its hold.
I know this is a problem and I vaguely remember seeing some show mentioning some product to combat this effect, albeit it was for woman , but still same thing .

Once again, it's hard without actually seeing your hair but definitely a product after showering and washing your hair. Depending on your hair, use a pomade, control paste, or even a soft hold gel - all of which would be unnoticeable to you but keep your hair defined / textured and not "puffy". If you'd use a product you'd probably not have to worry about washing your hair as it would look fine afterwards.

Doesn't your stylist use any products after cutting? I assume she does... It's really just about learning how to work with your own hair.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pure Jojoba oil might be what you are seeking. it's probably the closest thing to hair oil.

Erenoth

Reaction score
I second the Jojoba recommendation. A bit of coconut oil is excellent, as well.

prozach1576

Reaction score
Try Nancy Boy Styling Cream. It's lanolin-based, so it does a good job of replacing oils taken out of your hair by shampoo. I have very fine hair that grows quite thickly (if that makes sense) and is prone to getting super fluffy after it dries. Water-based products usually just delay the puffiness by a few hours. A little bit of this stuff worked through mostly dry hair will make my hair manageable all day. Keep in mind that it is a pretty light hold though. I have used it in place of American Crew Pomade and will never go back.

The detailed description on their website is 100% accurate.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My roommate has this Argan Oil conditioner that seems to work really, really well. I believe some of the lower priced brands (maybe Garnier Fructis) are using this ingredient now.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why so invested in oil? Oil might keep your hair from sticking out after a wash, but it just makes your hair limp. You will want an oil heavy product on days that you plan to swim though. Nothing dries hair our like chlorine.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is just to say that I have been using jojoba oil since post led to the recommendation.

it's great. I have best hair so far in social groups.

Recommend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics