• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is my wife’s pick of clothes for the day.
7020F664-BB2B-472F-827F-706F9E55007A.jpeg
121FC53F-73D9-4E35-A754-89A590C914A6.jpeg
1DB1DE67-FE45-4BAC-AA10-9D82033ED01F.jpeg

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not at all. Why not just call it Tan Dublin. London and England have nothing to do with Dublin.
Because neither names have anything to do with geography as far as I know. “English tan” or “British Tan” are often used as descriptors of color. Dublin is a Horween leather. I don’t believe it has any origins to Ireland.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In praise of the Macneil LWB...

View attachment 1702924
Burgundy shell

View attachment 1702923
Brown shell

View attachment 1702926
Natty shell

View attachment 1702932
Navy shell

View attachment 1702929
Green shell

I love all the colors and I have owned most of them, except the green. The one pair of green I had were so dark that I would not tell the difference between them and the blue. Your pair are a fantastic shade of green. I would not mind finding such a pair some day.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've bought numerous shoes off the 'bay and have yet to recraft so cannot speak to that approach, but I have never found it overtly uncomfortable to wear shoes where someone else has broken in the footbed, etc. I would recommend some form of sterilization though, such as steri-shoe. (maybe the full recraft mitigates the need for this, somewhat)
Requisite caveats apply (ymmv etc, whatever whatever)
You say that until you run across a pair that doesn’t. I’ve had foot pain if worn a whole day (recraft helped that), and one pair that was worn by someone unaware of their correct size and had such deep impressions that I just tossed them in the Goodwill pile…
It has begun! Was going to start wearing mine thanksgiving week.
Wore mine, with the proper leather soles, Thursday.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I re-read your original message. When I read footbed from your message, my mind went to a default thinking: footbed = insole. In addition, you mentioned, "At that point a solution is sprayed to the underside of the insole. " My thought is that you are re-shaping the original insole. When I stated to instruct the cobbler to replace the footbed, I mean tell the cobbler to replace the old insole with the previous owner's foot impression on the insole with...........a new leather insole.

Additional question for you. AE states that a pair of shoes can only be re-built three times. I suspect the machine AE uses to re-welt the shoes is making new holes on the upper leather, which in turn new holes weaken the upper leather. Situation as described, would you glue a piece nylon fabric on the inside of the upper, so the welt would have a stronger hold (or grip) of the upper leather?
No—I would have a cobbler do it instead and hand repair / replace the welt. That being said, I’m sure that only the most-well-taken-care-of uppers ever make it to the point of needing 3+ resoles.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
No—I would have a cobbler do it instead and hand repair / replace the welt. That being said, I’m sure that only the most-well-taken-care-of uppers ever make it to the point of needing 3+ resoles.

I'm curious - has anyone on the forum every worn through a Dainite sole? It strikes me that Dainite would last forever.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious - has anyone on the forum every worn through a Dainite sole? It strikes me that Dainite would last forever.

I've often thought the same thing. I've worn my Higgins since 2017, and there's barely any wear on the heel.

I was at the LA store two weeks ago, and I noticed that several boot models were not shown as display models. I was curious if anyone has bought a pair of the Freeport in natural? I also didn't get to see the olive Landon. Doesn't matter because I'll eventually own a pair.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk about MacNeils and the about future trunk shoes makes me want to renew my idea for a MacNeil in London tan dublin leather, maybe with antiqued exposed eyelets. Last time I brought it up I think about 20 folks on this thread said they’d be seriously interested. View attachment 1703336

On Tuesday posted pictures (Post 10,896) of my Horween English Tan Dublin Leather McGilicuddys.

Here's one of the pictures again, showing what color Horween English Tan Dublin Leather is, as well as what antique brass eyelets look like.

IMG_7777.jpeg

These shoes look different than the shoes in the picture @Count de Monet posted. Since getting them way back in the MTO era, have only used Bick 4 on them. Even when new they were not the light tan color of the longwing in the picture.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
View attachment 1703509

End of a misty weeklong work trip in the mighty Pacific Northwest. Nothing more versatile for going from the conference room to the manufacturing floor to dinner with the client at Aerlume, with all the splashy muddy PNW weather in between, than grain MacNeils. Cleaned up a bit as per @EdwardWilson 's strong suggestion.

Blue flannel suit is MTM from Enzo Custom's DC office (highly recommended if you're in the area). Slub silk tie proved harmonious with the flannel texture.

Looking sharp my friend. I live in Vancouver it never stops raining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RussoBeri